Re: Training and such

  • Kelly Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2006
      Norman-

      Sounds like you are really enthusiastic about Scouting and
      getting trained to help others. I started out with a Tiger Cub about
      fourteen years ago, and haven't quit learning new things yet. I would
      suggest a couple of things to help you on your journey. Use what helps and
      ignore the rest.

      First-go to your district Roundtables every month. Met other
      Scouters and attend the breakout sessions that interest you. This is the
      number one resource for learning about Scouting and helping your Pack grow
      by being active in district activities. Just as the Cubmaster and Pack
      supports the Dens, Roundtable supports the Pack leaders.

      Second-Online training is okay, but Scouting is really about
      doing and being involved with other people. Find a Trainer Development
      Conference that is being done live in your area. It will be well worth your
      drive and time to spend the day learning from experienced Scouters, and
      you'll have a lot more fun and make some new friends and resources that you
      can call on when you need help. At Roundtable, meet your district training
      team and ask if you can help out at the next training.

      Third-As the folks in the New Leader Essentials video tell you,
      "Relax! You'll do fine! In fact, you'll probably do great!" Work with your
      Pack Leaders now to set up a calendar based on the Cub Scout Program Helps.
      Be sure to have some special Pack events, like a fishing derby and the
      Pinewood Derby, and participate in your District events for Cubs and
      Webelos, like Camporees. Don't forget service projects and your charter
      organization. Then, when Cub Leaders need help, you'll have a no-fail
      structure in place where they can follow the Program helps until they feel
      comfortable and safe with expanding the program, and you can help them learn
      about all the resources available to them.

      Good luck, and enjoy Scouting!

      YiS-

      Kelly Parker

      Currently training adult leaders at Camp Raymond

      Grand Canyon Council, Phoenix

      I used to be a Bobwhite (WE4-10-1-01) and a good 'ol Eagle, too (WC46)

      And a whole bunch of other fun stuff, too!