Re: [Scouter_T] Training

  • corinnajones@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
      Norman,
      Great to hear you jumped in are are doing all you can to take all of the trainings.
      For our district and council, I am not authorized to train anyone in my pack, unless it is at a district training. BUT, I have been able to motivate our leaders to get trained, and got our pack's training record updated (and for the first time our leadership has earned the den leader award, webelos leader award, and cubmaster award). We are a smaller pack, but now have all trained leaders, except the assistant webelos leader who just moved up from bears.
      Our pack members got BALOO trained for the first time, roundtable attendance is way up, and three of our leaders participated in Jungle Book training http://www.dacbsa.org/cc_schedtng/forms-schedtng/06%20Jungle%20Book.pdf (I was Webelos den leader in the course). Look out for your council's Powwow or University of Scouting. You will find a large variety of training courses.
      One year after our leadership change the enthusiasm in the pack is now phantastic. Everybody knows what they're doing, and the boys are having fun.
      Scouting.org has a great job description for Pack Trainer.
      There is another list I have learned tons of things, and the discussions can be very fruitful, hopefully that link works: Cub-L-subscribe@...

      Keep up the good work.
      Yours in Scouting,

      Corinna Jones
      Pack Trainer
      Day Camp Program Director
      Unit Commissioner
      Troop Committee Member
      Michigami & Sunset District
      Detroit Area Council
    • David Brown
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
        Norman,

        I am for Pack 563 in Charlestown, Indiana, just an hour south of
        you. I am the Pack Trainer and a member of my District's Training Team.
        You are part of Hoosier Hills Council? Or is it Crossroads of America in
        Columbus? I know Crossroads has New Leader Essentials online and Job
        Specifics as well, BUT in person Training is always better than the online
        as you get more out of it. Our District is having it's' first Training of
        the year on August 26th. We are also planning one sometime in Scottsburg,
        IN. Keep in mind with Training you don't have to go to your District or
        even Council for Training. Especially for Trainers Development as most
        Councils do this once a Year. LHC's was June 17th and the Next one will be
        June 2007.

        If you have any question feel free to post and will comment, or
        if you want to email me off group.

        Dave Brown

        Pack Trainer

        Pack 563

        Chief Old Ox District

        Lincoln Heritage Council

        kc9dre@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
          I am in need of a cool (inspiring) induction ceremony that would be done at a camp fire at Wood Badge for the troop guides that will be inducted into Venturing. If you have any ideas that would be great. I am trying to inspire adults and introduce many of them to the family of Venturing.

          Andre
          Branson, MO

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006

            > As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in
            > the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in
            > our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the
            > school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time
            > understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and
            > reach them some how.

            Hello Norman,

            Thank you for undertaking the very important job of Pack Trainer.
            Hopefully, it will be fun and rewarding for you and helpful for your Pack.

            A few comments about the leaders in your Pack and their reluctance to take
            training. Ideally, training should

            1) Make the leaders' job more efficient and REDUCE THE TIME THAT THEY NEED
            TO SPEND
            2) Make their job more rewarding and more fun
            3) Give them plenty of resources to have a better, more exciting program
            4) Allow them to get to know other leaders in Cub Scouting with whom they
            can share and borrow ideas and talk about challenges, etc.
            5) Help ensure that the real purposes of Scouting are being met and not
            just the surface purposes
            6) Etc. etc. etc.

            You say that your leaders are doing a great job and I can't question that,
            certainly based just on e-mail posts. However, how do they know that and how
            do you know that? How do they know what they should be doing and what the
            real purposes of the Scouting movement are? One can have an extremely well
            organized "Pack" doing pinewood derbies and Blue and Golds and other things
            and be missing the point Similarly, a Pack can appear to be a lot less
            well organized and have fewer activities but be delivering a real Scouting
            program.

            Perhaps an analogy is this. Suppose a school bus driver were to say "I'm
            really busy. I'm so busy driving this school bus that I don't have time to
            take school bus driver training." How would the parents feel? Should
            they, or the Pack leaders, feel any different about trying to run a Cub Scout
            Pack without training?

            You also mentioned about the goal of Wood Badge within two years. This is
            for the most obvious reason possible. If Wood Badge is helpful and
            beneficial in learning how to run a great Pack efficiently, to work with adults and
            youth and to enjoy Scouts and Scouting, then one should get that experience
            and skills as early in ones time as a Scout leader as possible. Why wait
            5-10 years as a non Wood Badge trained leader only to go and say (as people do),
            "Gee, I wish I had taken this years ago." But WB within two years is a
            goal. It is not locked in concrete.

            As a Pack Trainer, you have the very important front line job of making
            sure that training really is useful and beneficial for the leaders in your Pack.
            Your job is not just to present material and hope that it is helpful. To
            the fullest extent possible, you should do what you can to make it helpful.
            Wood Badge should help you with this. So will Roundtables.

            Thank you for undertaking a challenging task.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • CubScoutDen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
              In a message dated 7/4/2006 5:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              don-wilson@... writes:
              Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
              families.
              Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position? All I
              have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
              Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

              Lisa
              Mom to 3 boys
              ACM Pack 689
              Webelos DL
              Troop Committee

            • JNDunnMN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html

                YiS,
                Jamie Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                P. 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Chair
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District

                don-wilson@... writes:
                Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                families.
                Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position?All I
                have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                Lisa
                Mom to 3 boys
                ACM Pack 689
                Webelos DL
                Troop Committee

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

              • Jim von Schmacht
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                  http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                  Jim von Schmacht

                  Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                    See http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer
                    synopsis.

                    YiS,

                    John Spahr, Aklan Training Team
                    Work: (510) 434-7611 x231
                    Cell: (510) 377-0742
                    Home: (925) 944-9467

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                      In a message dated 7/5/2006 5:40:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      JNDunnMN@... writes:
                      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html Thanks!

                      Lisa
                      Mom to 3 boys
                      ACM Pack 689
                      Webelos DL
                      Troop Committee

                    • Judy Yeager
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                        John wrote, "See http://goecities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer synopsis."

                        Not a good reference. As excellent as the Pack 215 site is in so many areas, this Pack Trainer synopsis is totally out of date and does not agree with the "official" job description found on National's website at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                        Judy Yeager
                        NT District Training Chair
                        HOAC

                      • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                          Dave didn't I read someplace a list you posted with all the current
                          training item bin numbers? I just found out we have several Districts
                          that do not have a complete set of training material. I told our Council
                          Training chair I thought I had a list of the up-to-date bin numbers for
                          everything.
                          I just read through my past e-mails and I can't find it.