Re: [Scouter_T] Training

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hi, Norman,

      Then you have completed:

      Cub Scout Fast Start
      New Leader Essentials for Cub Scouts
      Position Specific for Cubmaster, Tiger Leader, Den Leader, Webelos
      Leader, Committee
      BALOO
      Webelos Outdoor Training
      Youth Protection
      Trainer Development Course

      That is quite a lot of training for one year, and I applaud your
      efforts. If by chance you have not completed all of the above, then
      I would suggest that you make use of the time before the next Wood
      Badge course in your council participate in all training events
      available to you, not those focused on your present leadership
      position. You might be serving in a different position by the time
      you have the Wood Badge experience, and perhaps any "pre-course"
      work.

      I would also highly recommend that you work with the District
      Training Chair and after completing the Trainer Development Course
      work as a trainer whenever possible.

      Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
      families. That is extremely important for retention of Cub Scouts
      and should not wait until you can put that on your ticket. So that
      would be a project to consider investing tie and energy for the
      success of the Pack.

      As to the thought of experiencing Wood Badge via PowerPoint and CD, I
      fully agree with Dave. The course is much to important to try an end
      run.

      Don Wilson
      Trainer, Old Hickory Council
      Council Training Committee member 15 years
      Past Past Training Chairman Chairman
      Was a Fabulous, Feisty Fox, SR-191
    • Den Leader Norman Henderson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thank you Sir,

        As with all the other advice, yours is also appreciated and taken to heart. I learned the hard way about retention and keeping families and their scouts interested. As a parent of a scout, I didnt realize just how much work and planning the leaders were doing, then when I volunteered last year, I started learning real fast,

        I simply want to be a good Pack Trainer and have enough knowledge about each area that I can be of help when needed. With over 40 boys in our pack, we are proud of what we have to offer. I hope that I can help make it even better.

        Norman Henderson

      • corinnajones@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
          Norman,
          Great to hear you jumped in are are doing all you can to take all of the trainings.
          For our district and council, I am not authorized to train anyone in my pack, unless it is at a district training. BUT, I have been able to motivate our leaders to get trained, and got our pack's training record updated (and for the first time our leadership has earned the den leader award, webelos leader award, and cubmaster award). We are a smaller pack, but now have all trained leaders, except the assistant webelos leader who just moved up from bears.
          Our pack members got BALOO trained for the first time, roundtable attendance is way up, and three of our leaders participated in Jungle Book training http://www.dacbsa.org/cc_schedtng/forms-schedtng/06%20Jungle%20Book.pdf (I was Webelos den leader in the course). Look out for your council's Powwow or University of Scouting. You will find a large variety of training courses.
          One year after our leadership change the enthusiasm in the pack is now phantastic. Everybody knows what they're doing, and the boys are having fun.
          Scouting.org has a great job description for Pack Trainer.
          There is another list I have learned tons of things, and the discussions can be very fruitful, hopefully that link works: Cub-L-subscribe@...

          Keep up the good work.
          Yours in Scouting,

          Corinna Jones
          Pack Trainer
          Day Camp Program Director
          Unit Commissioner
          Troop Committee Member
          Michigami & Sunset District
          Detroit Area Council
        • David Brown
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
            Norman,

            I am for Pack 563 in Charlestown, Indiana, just an hour south of
            you. I am the Pack Trainer and a member of my District's Training Team.
            You are part of Hoosier Hills Council? Or is it Crossroads of America in
            Columbus? I know Crossroads has New Leader Essentials online and Job
            Specifics as well, BUT in person Training is always better than the online
            as you get more out of it. Our District is having it's' first Training of
            the year on August 26th. We are also planning one sometime in Scottsburg,
            IN. Keep in mind with Training you don't have to go to your District or
            even Council for Training. Especially for Trainers Development as most
            Councils do this once a Year. LHC's was June 17th and the Next one will be
            June 2007.

            If you have any question feel free to post and will comment, or
            if you want to email me off group.

            Dave Brown

            Pack Trainer

            Pack 563

            Chief Old Ox District

            Lincoln Heritage Council

            kc9dre@...

            _____

            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
              I am in need of a cool (inspiring) induction ceremony that would be done at a camp fire at Wood Badge for the troop guides that will be inducted into Venturing. If you have any ideas that would be great. I am trying to inspire adults and introduce many of them to the family of Venturing.

              Andre
              Branson, MO

            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006

                > As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in
                > the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in
                > our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the
                > school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time
                > understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and
                > reach them some how.

                Hello Norman,

                Thank you for undertaking the very important job of Pack Trainer.
                Hopefully, it will be fun and rewarding for you and helpful for your Pack.

                A few comments about the leaders in your Pack and their reluctance to take
                training. Ideally, training should

                1) Make the leaders' job more efficient and REDUCE THE TIME THAT THEY NEED
                TO SPEND
                2) Make their job more rewarding and more fun
                3) Give them plenty of resources to have a better, more exciting program
                4) Allow them to get to know other leaders in Cub Scouting with whom they
                can share and borrow ideas and talk about challenges, etc.
                5) Help ensure that the real purposes of Scouting are being met and not
                just the surface purposes
                6) Etc. etc. etc.

                You say that your leaders are doing a great job and I can't question that,
                certainly based just on e-mail posts. However, how do they know that and how
                do you know that? How do they know what they should be doing and what the
                real purposes of the Scouting movement are? One can have an extremely well
                organized "Pack" doing pinewood derbies and Blue and Golds and other things
                and be missing the point Similarly, a Pack can appear to be a lot less
                well organized and have fewer activities but be delivering a real Scouting
                program.

                Perhaps an analogy is this. Suppose a school bus driver were to say "I'm
                really busy. I'm so busy driving this school bus that I don't have time to
                take school bus driver training." How would the parents feel? Should
                they, or the Pack leaders, feel any different about trying to run a Cub Scout
                Pack without training?

                You also mentioned about the goal of Wood Badge within two years. This is
                for the most obvious reason possible. If Wood Badge is helpful and
                beneficial in learning how to run a great Pack efficiently, to work with adults and
                youth and to enjoy Scouts and Scouting, then one should get that experience
                and skills as early in ones time as a Scout leader as possible. Why wait
                5-10 years as a non Wood Badge trained leader only to go and say (as people do),
                "Gee, I wish I had taken this years ago." But WB within two years is a
                goal. It is not locked in concrete.

                As a Pack Trainer, you have the very important front line job of making
                sure that training really is useful and beneficial for the leaders in your Pack.
                Your job is not just to present material and hope that it is helpful. To
                the fullest extent possible, you should do what you can to make it helpful.
                Wood Badge should help you with this. So will Roundtables.

                Thank you for undertaking a challenging task.

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                  In a message dated 7/4/2006 5:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  don-wilson@... writes:
                  Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                  families.
                  Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position? All I
                  have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                  Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                  Lisa
                  Mom to 3 boys
                  ACM Pack 689
                  Webelos DL
                  Troop Committee

                • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                    http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html

                    YiS,
                    Jamie Dunn
                    Pack Trainer
                    P. 512
                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                    Cub Scout Training Chair
                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                    3 Rivers District

                    don-wilson@... writes:
                    Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                    families.
                    Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position?All I
                    have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                    Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                    Lisa
                    Mom to 3 boys
                    ACM Pack 689
                    Webelos DL
                    Troop Committee

                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

                  • Jim von Schmacht
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                      Jim von Schmacht

                      Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                        See http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer
                        synopsis.

                        YiS,

                        John Spahr, Aklan Training Team
                        Work: (510) 434-7611 x231
                        Cell: (510) 377-0742
                        Home: (925) 944-9467

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                          In a message dated 7/5/2006 5:40:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          JNDunnMN@... writes:
                          http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html Thanks!

                          Lisa
                          Mom to 3 boys
                          ACM Pack 689
                          Webelos DL
                          Troop Committee

                        • Judy Yeager
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                            John wrote, "See http://goecities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer synopsis."

                            Not a good reference. As excellent as the Pack 215 site is in so many areas, this Pack Trainer synopsis is totally out of date and does not agree with the "official" job description found on National's website at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                            Judy Yeager
                            NT District Training Chair
                            HOAC

                          • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                              Dave didn't I read someplace a list you posted with all the current
                              training item bin numbers? I just found out we have several Districts
                              that do not have a complete set of training material. I told our Council
                              Training chair I thought I had a list of the up-to-date bin numbers for
                              everything.
                              I just read through my past e-mails and I can't find it.