Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training Aids, Wood Badge

  • S.Powell
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hi Norman,

      Have you attended a course? Your post is not clear to me. One does not
      start their ticket until after they have attended the course and only
      with the approval of the Course Director (usually pre approved by Troop
      Guides on course).

      Additionally, if you are wanting the syllabus for staffing purposes it
      is given to you when you are selected as a staff member by the Course
      Director (through the 3rd Assistant SM for Troop Guides).

      YiS,
      Steve

    • S.Powell
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi Norman,

        Have you attended a wood badge course? Your post is not clear to me.

        norman henderson wrote:

        > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
        > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
        > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
        > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
        > Thanks
        > norman5572001

      • Den Leader Norman Henderson
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
          I Thank you Sir for your advice,

          I now have going on three years in the scouting program, and have received more help and information in the past three months from outside my pack and council, than within it.

          When I was a parent, I didn't realize the work involved as a leader, when I became a Tiger Den Leader, I found it was the hardest thing I have ever attempted, trying to get parents to be involved. I must admit, I think I was my worse critic and not that great at it. Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.

          So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back to date. Wait and see I guess.

          Norman

          Jim <scouting's@...> wrote:
          Norman,

          I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative. But Wood Badge is not the
          type of course you take "on CD or PowerPoint". The information
          available thru resource materials is only the basis (framework) for a
          much more complex learning experience and is intended for the staff
          only. The real lessons of Wood Badge only come through being there,
          taught by experienced and dedicated Scouters who each bring their
          perspectives, example, and learned lessons to the course. You can not
          get that through CDs or Powerpoints. Nor can you get the learning
          which is reinforced by the experience of going through the course
          itself, an experienced that is forged through the anvil of
          challenges, thoughtful instruction, and team building exercises
          shared with a small group of like minded participants and fellow
          Scouters - your patrol. Wood Badge is more than the course material
          itself. It is an extraordinary learning experience much greater than
          the syllabus or resource materials themselves. Many call Wood Badge
          the height of their Scouting "career" and it should not be so lightly
          thought of as replacing information available from some CDs or
          Powerpoints as a substitute for the experience. Something else to
          consider - the real value of Wood Badge can only take root after one
          has had a certain amount of experience in the program as a leader,
          say at least a year or two, and developed a certain level of
          commitment to the Scouting program and the values it represents. I'm
          afraid the lessons of Wood Badge are all too often lost on the novice.

          As for your ticket, it seems a wasted effort to be "already working
          on my ticket" when you know not what the purpose of Wood Badge is,
          have not experienced the lessons of the course, and have not
          benefited from the coaching or guidance of how to formulate ticket
          items that would best serve not only your position but the Scouting
          program in your unit and district as well.

          If Wood Badge is truly that important to you right now, look for a
          course in another Council. Wood Badge is Wood Badge where ever it is
          taken. However, you will miss out on forming the bonds that come from
          sharing it with others in your immediate area. I would encourage you
          to take your time and look forward to Wood Badge with the commitment
          and dedication (to training and to the program of Scouting) it
          deserves. Relish the experience and encourage others to do the
          same... for the good of your son's experience in Scouting and the
          Scouting program.

          Besides, you have your hands full as a new Pack Trainer. Now THAT is
          a very important roll, one that could have a profound impact on the
          quality of the Scouting program in you unit. By developing the best
          trained leaders available to put on a great program, all your sons
          (and daughters, family program,remember?) benefit form an experience
          they will look back on for the rest of their lives. Think of what an
          impact you could have on just avoiding the experience for all the new
          Tiger leaders that you went through, simply by being the source of
          training and info you did not have! The best way to serve the role of
          Pack Trainer is to take as much of the available training as you can
          - Wood Badge being the exception... at least for now. Good luck and I
          wish you well in your new role. I can predict great things in your
          Pack's program for the coming year(s).

          Yours in Scouting,

          Former Council Training Chairman and...
          Course Director, SR 695
          Central Florida Council (Orlando Florida)

        • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
            The point of Wood Badge is the experience, not just the course
            materials. This is why it is a bad idea to publicly post training
            literature to those who are not trainers.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
              It seems that where I read that all leaders should try and achieve wood badge in their first two years. If I read this wrong, I am very sorry. I realize that it is a very high honor, and when I questioned why in the first two years, I never got a really good answer, so now I am not so worried about making the two year thing. I can go at my own pace.

              Thanks
              Norman

              norman henderson wrote:

              > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
              > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
              > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
              > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
              > Thanks
              > norman5572001
              >
              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
              > copy of one.
              > >

              > > _____
              > >
              > > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Sean Scott
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                Norman,

                The purpose behind the "first two years" emphasis is to get leaders
                trained in the elements of leadership early on in their careers.

                In a volunteer run program, we all-too-often see units (and event
                districts and councils) where "That's how we've always done it"
                overshadows the recommended or correct way of doing things. The
                perpetuation of this mentality is often a result of leaders putting
                off advanced training like Wood Badge until later in their careers.

                Consider that the majority of Scouting's membership is in Cub
                Scouting, and the majority of Boy Scouts come from Cub Scouts, yet
                the greatest loss we experience in the program is at the transition.
                One reason for this may be a lack of "seriousness" placed on the Cub
                Scouting program. Previously, Wood Badge was reserved for Boy Scout
                leaders, yet there's no reason that Cub Scout packs (or Venturing
                crews, for that matter) cannot benefit from the leadership skills
                presented at Wood Badge. By introducing these skills earlier, and
                encouraging new leaders to attend, we're (hopefully) creating more
                skilled, more empowered leaders at the Cub Scout level. The result
                should be a better program at that level, which should in turn result
                in a better program at the other levels.

                I often equate Cub Scouting with a major league baseball program. Cub
                Scouts is where we get our greatest attendance (boys), yet they're
                watching a single-A team of rookies (leaders) play the game. The
                coaches (trainers) need every tool available to ensure that those
                players are equipped to entertain the fans (boys and families) and
                make them want to come back to see the double-A (Boy Scouts) and
                triple-A (Venturing) games, eventually graduating onto the majors
                (life). Wood Badge is like training camp for those players--you
                wouldn't think of fielding a ball club without sending the players
                through camp. Neither should we think of playing the game of Scouting
                without putting the players through Wood Badge.

                To achieve that, we need to stop thinking of Wood Badge as a lofty
                achievement or an exclusive group, and instead as a high, yet
                attainable, goal that benefits the entire program. The mentality that
                Wood Badge is exclusive or specialized must be shed!

                YiS,
                Sean

              • corinnajones@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Check out the neighboring councils. Training is "good", no matter where you take it.
                  I will be taking Woodbadge in August (the class is full), others might do spring or later in fall.
                  HTH,
                  Corinna
                  At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                  training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                  to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                  Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                  Thanks
                  norman5572001

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                  > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                  copy of one.

                  > _____

                • Matt Hannam
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                    You cannot work or write a Wood Badge before you take the course. You cannot
                    even write the ticket until you attend the course. Wood Badge is an
                    intensive "Mountain To" training experience that must be attended in person.

                    _____

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                    "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                    > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                    copy of one.

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                    > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
                    > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
                    been
                    > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
                    the
                    > library of Syllabi.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > Darrell Johnson wrote:
                    > >
                    > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
                    > >
                    > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                    www.nfcbsa.org
                    > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
                    > > 1.1.4322) 404
                    > >
                    > > What am I doing wrong???
                    > > -
                    > >
                    > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
                    > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
                    > > I hit the mother-lode!
                    > >
                    > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
                    > <http://www.nfcbsa
                    <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                    org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                    > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                    > > <http://www.nfcbsa
                    > <http://www.nfcbsa
                    <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                    org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                    > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                    > >

                    > > Ida
                    > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
                    Chair

                    > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
                    > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
                    > ADC & BS Training Chair
                    > Historic District
                    > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
                    >
                    > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                    > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                  • Matt Hannam
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                      It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and
                      Box Oven or Reflector Oven cooking ideas.

                      _____

                      Looking for food ideas for the outdoor experience.

                      Andre
                      ASM

                    • Andre Coltrin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                        ?? what cook book?

                        Matt Hannam <mhannam@...> wrote: It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                            Thank you Sir,

                            I am finding that there is a lot of " I am your not " attitude in my quest for answers and knowledge just to learn and grow for the better of my pack and the scouts as a whole.

                            Norman H.

                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                              Norman,
                              You ARE the training chair for your pack committee, that's what a
                              Pack Trainer does.

                              Get involved with your district's training folks, and you'll soon
                              have more work that you can shake a stick at.

                              Dave

                              Den Leader Norman Henderson wrote:

                              > Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack
                              > Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.
                              >
                              > So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could
                              > find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good
                              > thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and
                              > complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn
                              > more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training
                              > Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for
                              > our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the
                              > chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back
                              > to date. Wait and see I guess.
                              >
                              > Norman

                              ADC & BS Training Chair
                              Historic District
                              Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                              245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                              Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                            • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                                Great, Thanks...I Think????

                                So my Title is What?? Pack Trainer/ Committee Training Chair

                                Anyway, Thanks, I will start contacting my Council and try to things going and hope a lot of help for myself, I want to be able to do my job and do it well. I can only do this, if I have the right training myself.
                                Thanks again
                                Norm