Re: [Scouter_T] Training

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
      You didn't note what training you have taken, so my comments may
      be a bit off target.

      I'd get a copy of the Leadership Training Committee Guide, #
      34169, $ 5.00, from your Scout Shop. This booklet is the meat of the
      training program, and will get you started with what you need to do.
      Secondly, I'd get in touch with your district or council training
      committee, and see what courses they are offering and when. As a Pack
      Trainer, you should take the Trainer Development Conference, to get you
      up to speed on Scouting training methods and programs. Your district or
      council training people should be running this program a couple of times
      each year.

      In order to be familiar with the training your pack needs, you
      need to take the Fast Start training for all of the positions. These
      are available at the National web site at,
      http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Fast+Start+Training&x=0&y=0
      or http://tinyurl.com/s58xw. You will have to create a logon name and
      password to take these courses, but when you do, and complete the
      courses, they should post to your record on your council's ScoutNet files.

      Reading through the Leadership Training Committee Guide, you will
      see the training each leader requires to become trained in his or her
      position, and this will give you a good jumping off point. You will
      have to determine what training they have completed, and then arrange
      for the training they need, by position, so that you can request that
      your district provide these specific courses. For the most part, Cub
      Scout Training is composed of two or three steps; Fast Start, Youth
      Protection, New Leader Essentials, Position Specific Training, and
      either BALOO or Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS Leaders. You can
      get Fast Start and Youth Protection Training online at the National site
      I noted earlier, so this leaves you outdoors and position training to
      worry about. BALOO is an acronym for Basic Adult Leader Outdoor
      Orientation, which is required before the Pack take the Cubs out camping
      as a pack or den. The syllabus is # 34162A (or later) and costs $
      6.95. WEBELOS Leaders need Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS
      Leaders, # 13-33640.which is a bin item so will either have to be
      ordered from your council, or gotten from a person on this list. I can
      feed you this course section by section, or can mail you a CD with the
      entire course on it. The rest of the leaders will require the position
      specific training for their position. This consists of a group of core
      skills, plus a break out session for Cub Masters and Committee, and
      Tiger, Wolf & Bear, and WEBELOS Den leaders all usually taught on a
      Saturday within your district. The syllabus for this course is 34875A,
      or later, and costs $ 12.00 as it comes with a CD.

      You will also want to insure that each of your dens has a Den
      Chief, a Boy Scout from a local troop who has taken the Den Chief
      Orientation, # 34450C or later,which costs $ 4.75. Den Chiefs are an
      important help to den leaders as they serve as an extra set of eyes and
      hands, to help keep the program moving, as well as give the Cubs another
      leader to look up to. They are especially important in the WEBELOS Dens
      as they can facilitate the WEBELOS to Scout crossover, insuring that all
      of the WEBELOS cross over to a troop, and are made to feel welcome in
      the troop they chose.

      This is a brief outline of your training needs and
      responsibilities, that will help you get started on the right foot.
      Don't hesitate to ask one of us some more questions, once you've gotten
      the Training Committee book, and read the parts pertaining to Cub Packs
      through a few times.

      All the Best,

      Dave

      norman henderson wrote:

      > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
      > of your group.
      >
      > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
      > what an experience.
      >
      > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
      >
      > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
      > said you will be OK, keep at it.
      >
      > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
      > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
      > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
      > completed every training online I can find.
      >
      > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
      > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
      > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Norman Henderson/pack 557

      ADC & BS Training Chair
      Historic District
      Daniel Webster Council, BSA

      245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

    • Den Leader Norman Henderson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thanks,

        I have finished all of the training in all area's and my council told me this was the next on I need. However, they wont be giving it untill later this fall and as you may guess, I would rather get it in now before I get tied up with our pack in a month or so.

        As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and reach them some how.

        Thanks
        Norman

        norman henderson wrote:

        > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
        > of your group.
        >
        > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
        > what an experience.
        >
        > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
        >
        > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
        > said you will be OK, keep at it.
        >
        > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
        > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
        > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
        > completed every training online I can find.
        >
        > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
        > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
        > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Norman Henderson/pack 557

        ADC & BS Training Chair
        Historic District
        Daniel Webster Council, BSA

        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hi, Norman,

          Then you have completed:

          Cub Scout Fast Start
          New Leader Essentials for Cub Scouts
          Position Specific for Cubmaster, Tiger Leader, Den Leader, Webelos
          Leader, Committee
          BALOO
          Webelos Outdoor Training
          Youth Protection
          Trainer Development Course

          That is quite a lot of training for one year, and I applaud your
          efforts. If by chance you have not completed all of the above, then
          I would suggest that you make use of the time before the next Wood
          Badge course in your council participate in all training events
          available to you, not those focused on your present leadership
          position. You might be serving in a different position by the time
          you have the Wood Badge experience, and perhaps any "pre-course"
          work.

          I would also highly recommend that you work with the District
          Training Chair and after completing the Trainer Development Course
          work as a trainer whenever possible.

          Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
          families. That is extremely important for retention of Cub Scouts
          and should not wait until you can put that on your ticket. So that
          would be a project to consider investing tie and energy for the
          success of the Pack.

          As to the thought of experiencing Wood Badge via PowerPoint and CD, I
          fully agree with Dave. The course is much to important to try an end
          run.

          Don Wilson
          Trainer, Old Hickory Council
          Council Training Committee member 15 years
          Past Past Training Chairman Chairman
          Was a Fabulous, Feisty Fox, SR-191
        • Den Leader Norman Henderson
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
            Thank you Sir,

            As with all the other advice, yours is also appreciated and taken to heart. I learned the hard way about retention and keeping families and their scouts interested. As a parent of a scout, I didnt realize just how much work and planning the leaders were doing, then when I volunteered last year, I started learning real fast,

            I simply want to be a good Pack Trainer and have enough knowledge about each area that I can be of help when needed. With over 40 boys in our pack, we are proud of what we have to offer. I hope that I can help make it even better.

            Norman Henderson

          • corinnajones@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
              Norman,
              Great to hear you jumped in are are doing all you can to take all of the trainings.
              For our district and council, I am not authorized to train anyone in my pack, unless it is at a district training. BUT, I have been able to motivate our leaders to get trained, and got our pack's training record updated (and for the first time our leadership has earned the den leader award, webelos leader award, and cubmaster award). We are a smaller pack, but now have all trained leaders, except the assistant webelos leader who just moved up from bears.
              Our pack members got BALOO trained for the first time, roundtable attendance is way up, and three of our leaders participated in Jungle Book training http://www.dacbsa.org/cc_schedtng/forms-schedtng/06%20Jungle%20Book.pdf (I was Webelos den leader in the course). Look out for your council's Powwow or University of Scouting. You will find a large variety of training courses.
              One year after our leadership change the enthusiasm in the pack is now phantastic. Everybody knows what they're doing, and the boys are having fun.
              Scouting.org has a great job description for Pack Trainer.
              There is another list I have learned tons of things, and the discussions can be very fruitful, hopefully that link works: Cub-L-subscribe@...

              Keep up the good work.
              Yours in Scouting,

              Corinna Jones
              Pack Trainer
              Day Camp Program Director
              Unit Commissioner
              Troop Committee Member
              Michigami & Sunset District
              Detroit Area Council
            • David Brown
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                Norman,

                I am for Pack 563 in Charlestown, Indiana, just an hour south of
                you. I am the Pack Trainer and a member of my District's Training Team.
                You are part of Hoosier Hills Council? Or is it Crossroads of America in
                Columbus? I know Crossroads has New Leader Essentials online and Job
                Specifics as well, BUT in person Training is always better than the online
                as you get more out of it. Our District is having it's' first Training of
                the year on August 26th. We are also planning one sometime in Scottsburg,
                IN. Keep in mind with Training you don't have to go to your District or
                even Council for Training. Especially for Trainers Development as most
                Councils do this once a Year. LHC's was June 17th and the Next one will be
                June 2007.

                If you have any question feel free to post and will comment, or
                if you want to email me off group.

                Dave Brown

                Pack Trainer

                Pack 563

                Chief Old Ox District

                Lincoln Heritage Council

                kc9dre@...

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                  I am in need of a cool (inspiring) induction ceremony that would be done at a camp fire at Wood Badge for the troop guides that will be inducted into Venturing. If you have any ideas that would be great. I am trying to inspire adults and introduce many of them to the family of Venturing.

                  Andre
                  Branson, MO

                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006

                    > As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in
                    > the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in
                    > our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the
                    > school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time
                    > understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and
                    > reach them some how.

                    Hello Norman,

                    Thank you for undertaking the very important job of Pack Trainer.
                    Hopefully, it will be fun and rewarding for you and helpful for your Pack.

                    A few comments about the leaders in your Pack and their reluctance to take
                    training. Ideally, training should

                    1) Make the leaders' job more efficient and REDUCE THE TIME THAT THEY NEED
                    TO SPEND
                    2) Make their job more rewarding and more fun
                    3) Give them plenty of resources to have a better, more exciting program
                    4) Allow them to get to know other leaders in Cub Scouting with whom they
                    can share and borrow ideas and talk about challenges, etc.
                    5) Help ensure that the real purposes of Scouting are being met and not
                    just the surface purposes
                    6) Etc. etc. etc.

                    You say that your leaders are doing a great job and I can't question that,
                    certainly based just on e-mail posts. However, how do they know that and how
                    do you know that? How do they know what they should be doing and what the
                    real purposes of the Scouting movement are? One can have an extremely well
                    organized "Pack" doing pinewood derbies and Blue and Golds and other things
                    and be missing the point Similarly, a Pack can appear to be a lot less
                    well organized and have fewer activities but be delivering a real Scouting
                    program.

                    Perhaps an analogy is this. Suppose a school bus driver were to say "I'm
                    really busy. I'm so busy driving this school bus that I don't have time to
                    take school bus driver training." How would the parents feel? Should
                    they, or the Pack leaders, feel any different about trying to run a Cub Scout
                    Pack without training?

                    You also mentioned about the goal of Wood Badge within two years. This is
                    for the most obvious reason possible. If Wood Badge is helpful and
                    beneficial in learning how to run a great Pack efficiently, to work with adults and
                    youth and to enjoy Scouts and Scouting, then one should get that experience
                    and skills as early in ones time as a Scout leader as possible. Why wait
                    5-10 years as a non Wood Badge trained leader only to go and say (as people do),
                    "Gee, I wish I had taken this years ago." But WB within two years is a
                    goal. It is not locked in concrete.

                    As a Pack Trainer, you have the very important front line job of making
                    sure that training really is useful and beneficial for the leaders in your Pack.
                    Your job is not just to present material and hope that it is helpful. To
                    the fullest extent possible, you should do what you can to make it helpful.
                    Wood Badge should help you with this. So will Roundtables.

                    Thank you for undertaking a challenging task.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton

                  • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                      In a message dated 7/4/2006 5:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      don-wilson@... writes:
                      Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                      families.
                      Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position? All I
                      have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                      Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                      Lisa
                      Mom to 3 boys
                      ACM Pack 689
                      Webelos DL
                      Troop Committee

                    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                        http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html

                        YiS,
                        Jamie Dunn
                        Pack Trainer
                        P. 512
                        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        Cub Scout Training Chair
                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                        3 Rivers District

                        don-wilson@... writes:
                        Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                        families.
                        Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position?All I
                        have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                        Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                        Lisa
                        Mom to 3 boys
                        ACM Pack 689
                        Webelos DL
                        Troop Committee

                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

                      • Jim von Schmacht
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                          http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                          Jim von Schmacht

                          Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                            See http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer
                            synopsis.

                            YiS,

                            John Spahr, Aklan Training Team
                            Work: (510) 434-7611 x231
                            Cell: (510) 377-0742
                            Home: (925) 944-9467

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                              In a message dated 7/5/2006 5:40:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              JNDunnMN@... writes:
                              http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html Thanks!

                              Lisa
                              Mom to 3 boys
                              ACM Pack 689
                              Webelos DL
                              Troop Committee

                            • Judy Yeager
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                John wrote, "See http://goecities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer synopsis."

                                Not a good reference. As excellent as the Pack 215 site is in so many areas, this Pack Trainer synopsis is totally out of date and does not agree with the "official" job description found on National's website at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                                Judy Yeager
                                NT District Training Chair
                                HOAC

                              • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  Dave didn't I read someplace a list you posted with all the current
                                  training item bin numbers? I just found out we have several Districts
                                  that do not have a complete set of training material. I told our Council
                                  Training chair I thought I had a list of the up-to-date bin numbers for
                                  everything.
                                  I just read through my past e-mails and I can't find it.