RE: [Scouter_T] Training Aids

  • Matt Hannam
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
      I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a copy of one.

      _____

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
        Yes please, iw ould like copies of them.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
          At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
          training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
          to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
          Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
          Thanks
          norman5572001

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

          > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
          copy of one.

          > _____

          On Behalf
          > Of Dave Loomis
          > Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:43 AM
          > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Training Aids
          >

          > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
          > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
          been
          > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
          the
          > library of Syllabi.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > Darrell Johnson wrote:
          > >
          > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
          > >
          > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
          www.nfcbsa.org
          > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
          > > 1.1.4322) 404
          > >
          > > What am I doing wrong???
          > > -
          > >
          > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
          > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
          > > I hit the mother-lode!
          > >
          > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
          > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
          > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
          > > <http://www.nfcbsa
          > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
          > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
          > >

          > > Ida
          > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
          Chair

          > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
          > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
          > ADC & BS Training Chair
          > Historic District
          > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
          >
          > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
          > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

        • S.Powell
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hi Norman,

            Have you attended a course? Your post is not clear to me. One does not
            start their ticket until after they have attended the course and only
            with the approval of the Course Director (usually pre approved by Troop
            Guides on course).

            Additionally, if you are wanting the syllabus for staffing purposes it
            is given to you when you are selected as a staff member by the Course
            Director (through the 3rd Assistant SM for Troop Guides).

            YiS,
            Steve

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
              Norman,

              I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative. But Wood Badge is not the
              type of course you take "on CD or PowerPoint". The information
              available thru resource materials is only the basis (framework) for a
              much more complex learning experience and is intended for the staff
              only. The real lessons of Wood Badge only come through being there,
              taught by experienced and dedicated Scouters who each bring their
              perspectives, example, and learned lessons to the course. You can not
              get that through CDs or Powerpoints. Nor can you get the learning
              which is reinforced by the experience of going through the course
              itself, an experienced that is forged through the anvil of
              challenges, thoughtful instruction, and team building exercises
              shared with a small group of like minded participants and fellow
              Scouters - your patrol. Wood Badge is more than the course material
              itself. It is an extraordinary learning experience much greater than
              the syllabus or resource materials themselves. Many call Wood Badge
              the height of their Scouting "career" and it should not be so lightly
              thought of as replacing information available from some CDs or
              Powerpoints as a substitute for the experience. Something else to
              consider - the real value of Wood Badge can only take root after one
              has had a certain amount of experience in the program as a leader,
              say at least a year or two, and developed a certain level of
              commitment to the Scouting program and the values it represents. I'm
              afraid the lessons of Wood Badge are all too often lost on the novice.

              As for your ticket, it seems a wasted effort to be "already working
              on my ticket" when you know not what the purpose of Wood Badge is,
              have not experienced the lessons of the course, and have not
              benefited from the coaching or guidance of how to formulate ticket
              items that would best serve not only your position but the Scouting
              program in your unit and district as well.

              If Wood Badge is truly that important to you right now, look for a
              course in another Council. Wood Badge is Wood Badge where ever it is
              taken. However, you will miss out on forming the bonds that come from
              sharing it with others in your immediate area. I would encourage you
              to take your time and look forward to Wood Badge with the commitment
              and dedication (to training and to the program of Scouting) it
              deserves. Relish the experience and encourage others to do the
              same... for the good of your son's experience in Scouting and the
              Scouting program.

              Besides, you have your hands full as a new Pack Trainer. Now THAT is
              a very important roll, one that could have a profound impact on the
              quality of the Scouting program in you unit. By developing the best
              trained leaders available to put on a great program, all your sons
              (and daughters, family program,remember?) benefit form an experience
              they will look back on for the rest of their lives. Think of what an
              impact you could have on just avoiding the experience for all the new
              Tiger leaders that you went through, simply by being the source of
              training and info you did not have! The best way to serve the role of
              Pack Trainer is to take as much of the available training as you can
              - Wood Badge being the exception... at least for now. Good luck and I
              wish you well in your new role. I can predict great things in your
              Pack's program for the coming year(s).

              Yours in Scouting,

              Former Council Training Chairman and...
              Course Director, SR 695
              Central Florida Council (Orlando Florida)

            • S.Powell
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hi Norman,

                Have you attended a wood badge course? Your post is not clear to me.

                norman henderson wrote:

                > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                > Thanks
                > norman5572001

              • Andre Coltrin
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Looking for food ideas for the outdoor experience.

                  Andre
                  ASM

                • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                    I Thank you Sir for your advice,

                    I now have going on three years in the scouting program, and have received more help and information in the past three months from outside my pack and council, than within it.

                    When I was a parent, I didn't realize the work involved as a leader, when I became a Tiger Den Leader, I found it was the hardest thing I have ever attempted, trying to get parents to be involved. I must admit, I think I was my worse critic and not that great at it. Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.

                    So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back to date. Wait and see I guess.

                    Norman

                  • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                      The point of Wood Badge is the experience, not just the course
                      materials. This is why it is a bad idea to publicly post training
                      literature to those who are not trainers.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                        It seems that where I read that all leaders should try and achieve wood badge in their first two years. If I read this wrong, I am very sorry. I realize that it is a very high honor, and when I questioned why in the first two years, I never got a really good answer, so now I am not so worried about making the two year thing. I can go at my own pace.

                        Thanks
                        Norman

                        norman henderson wrote:

                        > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                        > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                        > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                        > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                        > Thanks
                        > norman5572001
                        >
                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                        > copy of one.
                        > >

                        > > _____
                        > >
                        > > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Sean Scott
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Norman,

                          The purpose behind the "first two years" emphasis is to get leaders
                          trained in the elements of leadership early on in their careers.

                          In a volunteer run program, we all-too-often see units (and event
                          districts and councils) where "That's how we've always done it"
                          overshadows the recommended or correct way of doing things. The
                          perpetuation of this mentality is often a result of leaders putting
                          off advanced training like Wood Badge until later in their careers.

                          Consider that the majority of Scouting's membership is in Cub
                          Scouting, and the majority of Boy Scouts come from Cub Scouts, yet
                          the greatest loss we experience in the program is at the transition.
                          One reason for this may be a lack of "seriousness" placed on the Cub
                          Scouting program. Previously, Wood Badge was reserved for Boy Scout
                          leaders, yet there's no reason that Cub Scout packs (or Venturing
                          crews, for that matter) cannot benefit from the leadership skills
                          presented at Wood Badge. By introducing these skills earlier, and
                          encouraging new leaders to attend, we're (hopefully) creating more
                          skilled, more empowered leaders at the Cub Scout level. The result
                          should be a better program at that level, which should in turn result
                          in a better program at the other levels.

                          I often equate Cub Scouting with a major league baseball program. Cub
                          Scouts is where we get our greatest attendance (boys), yet they're
                          watching a single-A team of rookies (leaders) play the game. The
                          coaches (trainers) need every tool available to ensure that those
                          players are equipped to entertain the fans (boys and families) and
                          make them want to come back to see the double-A (Boy Scouts) and
                          triple-A (Venturing) games, eventually graduating onto the majors
                          (life). Wood Badge is like training camp for those players--you
                          wouldn't think of fielding a ball club without sending the players
                          through camp. Neither should we think of playing the game of Scouting
                          without putting the players through Wood Badge.

                          To achieve that, we need to stop thinking of Wood Badge as a lofty
                          achievement or an exclusive group, and instead as a high, yet
                          attainable, goal that benefits the entire program. The mentality that
                          Wood Badge is exclusive or specialized must be shed!

                          YiS,
                          Sean

                        • corinnajones@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Check out the neighboring councils. Training is "good", no matter where you take it.
                            I will be taking Woodbadge in August (the class is full), others might do spring or later in fall.
                            HTH,
                            Corinna
                            At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                            training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                            to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                            Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                            Thanks
                            norman5572001

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                            > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                            copy of one.

                            > _____

                          • Matt Hannam
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                              You cannot work or write a Wood Badge before you take the course. You cannot
                              even write the ticket until you attend the course. Wood Badge is an
                              intensive "Mountain To" training experience that must be attended in person.

                              _____

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                              "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                              > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                              copy of one.

                              > _____
                              >
                              > From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                              > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
                              > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
                              been
                              > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
                              the
                              > library of Syllabi.
                              >
                              > Dave
                              >
                              > Darrell Johnson wrote:
                              > >
                              > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
                              > >
                              > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                              www.nfcbsa.org
                              > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
                              > > 1.1.4322) 404
                              > >
                              > > What am I doing wrong???
                              > > -
                              > >
                              > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
                              > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
                              > > I hit the mother-lode!
                              > >
                              > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
                              > <http://www.nfcbsa
                              <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                              org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                              > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                              > > <http://www.nfcbsa
                              > <http://www.nfcbsa
                              <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                              org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                              > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                              > >

                              > > Ida
                              > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
                              Chair

                              > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
                              > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
                              > ADC & BS Training Chair
                              > Historic District
                              > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
                              >
                              > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                              > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                            • Matt Hannam
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and
                                Box Oven or Reflector Oven cooking ideas.

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  ?? what cook book?

                                  Matt Hannam <mhannam@...> wrote: It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                      Thank you Sir,

                                      I am finding that there is a lot of " I am your not " attitude in my quest for answers and knowledge just to learn and grow for the better of my pack and the scouts as a whole.

                                      Norman H.

                                    • Dave Loomis
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                        Norman,
                                        You ARE the training chair for your pack committee, that's what a
                                        Pack Trainer does.

                                        Get involved with your district's training folks, and you'll soon
                                        have more work that you can shake a stick at.

                                        Dave

                                        Den Leader Norman Henderson wrote:

                                        > Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack
                                        > Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.
                                        >
                                        > So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could
                                        > find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good
                                        > thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and
                                        > complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn
                                        > more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training
                                        > Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for
                                        > our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the
                                        > chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back
                                        > to date. Wait and see I guess.
                                        >
                                        > Norman

                                        ADC & BS Training Chair
                                        Historic District
                                        Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                                        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                      • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                                          Great, Thanks...I Think????

                                          So my Title is What?? Pack Trainer/ Committee Training Chair

                                          Anyway, Thanks, I will start contacting my Council and try to things going and hope a lot of help for myself, I want to be able to do my job and do it well. I can only do this, if I have the right training myself.
                                          Thanks again
                                          Norm