RE: [Scouter_T] Training Aids

  • Matt Hannam
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
      I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a copy of one.

      _____

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
        That site is from my Council. We had the information there for our
        trainers to access. Somehow the link got out on the Internet and our
        bandwidth usage went way up. We had to move the information off the server.
        Sorry for the confusion.

        Russ

        Darrell Johnson wrote:

        > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
        >
        > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm www.nfcbsa.org
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
        > 1.1.4322) 404
        >
        > What am I doing wrong???
        > -
        >
        > Ida Lively <Ilively@... <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
        > I hit the mother-lode!
        >
        > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
        > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
        >
        > Word of warning: when I clicked, I saved the linked file, and needed
        > to change .PPS to .PPT and it opened/worked fine for me from there.
        > [Remember, I'm no a MAC, so things may be different for you!]
        >
        > Additionally, be aware that these may NOT be the most recent versions
        > of the syllabi. I have a 2002 printing of SMS for example, and the
        > version at this link is only the 2001.
        >
        > Also, some of the files at the bottom of the page are either
        > corrupted, or nonexistent. CAUTION: do not use the UNIT BUDGET PLAN
        > because it is the OLD one ... registration and Boy's Life prices have
        > gone up! (And, if you give this plan to your units as is, you risk
        > them using this as 'gospel' and causing all kinds of issues.)
        >
        > Ida
        > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

      • richard pennington
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
          Yes please, iw ould like copies of them.

          Richard

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
            At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
            training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
            to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
            Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
            Thanks
            norman5572001

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

            > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
            copy of one.

            > _____

            On Behalf
            > Of Dave Loomis
            > Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:43 AM
            > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Training Aids
            >

            > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
            > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
            been
            > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
            the
            > library of Syllabi.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > Darrell Johnson wrote:
            > >
            > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
            > >
            > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
            www.nfcbsa.org
            > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
            > > 1.1.4322) 404
            > >
            > > What am I doing wrong???
            > > -
            > >
            > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
            > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
            > > I hit the mother-lode!
            > >
            > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
            > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
            > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
            > > <http://www.nfcbsa
            > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
            > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
            > >

            > > Ida
            > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
            Chair

            > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
            > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
            > ADC & BS Training Chair
            > Historic District
            > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
            >
            > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
            > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

          • S.Powell
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
              Hi Norman,

              Have you attended a course? Your post is not clear to me. One does not
              start their ticket until after they have attended the course and only
              with the approval of the Course Director (usually pre approved by Troop
              Guides on course).

              Additionally, if you are wanting the syllabus for staffing purposes it
              is given to you when you are selected as a staff member by the Course
              Director (through the 3rd Assistant SM for Troop Guides).

              YiS,
              Steve

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                Norman,

                I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative. But Wood Badge is not the
                type of course you take "on CD or PowerPoint". The information
                available thru resource materials is only the basis (framework) for a
                much more complex learning experience and is intended for the staff
                only. The real lessons of Wood Badge only come through being there,
                taught by experienced and dedicated Scouters who each bring their
                perspectives, example, and learned lessons to the course. You can not
                get that through CDs or Powerpoints. Nor can you get the learning
                which is reinforced by the experience of going through the course
                itself, an experienced that is forged through the anvil of
                challenges, thoughtful instruction, and team building exercises
                shared with a small group of like minded participants and fellow
                Scouters - your patrol. Wood Badge is more than the course material
                itself. It is an extraordinary learning experience much greater than
                the syllabus or resource materials themselves. Many call Wood Badge
                the height of their Scouting "career" and it should not be so lightly
                thought of as replacing information available from some CDs or
                Powerpoints as a substitute for the experience. Something else to
                consider - the real value of Wood Badge can only take root after one
                has had a certain amount of experience in the program as a leader,
                say at least a year or two, and developed a certain level of
                commitment to the Scouting program and the values it represents. I'm
                afraid the lessons of Wood Badge are all too often lost on the novice.

                As for your ticket, it seems a wasted effort to be "already working
                on my ticket" when you know not what the purpose of Wood Badge is,
                have not experienced the lessons of the course, and have not
                benefited from the coaching or guidance of how to formulate ticket
                items that would best serve not only your position but the Scouting
                program in your unit and district as well.

                If Wood Badge is truly that important to you right now, look for a
                course in another Council. Wood Badge is Wood Badge where ever it is
                taken. However, you will miss out on forming the bonds that come from
                sharing it with others in your immediate area. I would encourage you
                to take your time and look forward to Wood Badge with the commitment
                and dedication (to training and to the program of Scouting) it
                deserves. Relish the experience and encourage others to do the
                same... for the good of your son's experience in Scouting and the
                Scouting program.

                Besides, you have your hands full as a new Pack Trainer. Now THAT is
                a very important roll, one that could have a profound impact on the
                quality of the Scouting program in you unit. By developing the best
                trained leaders available to put on a great program, all your sons
                (and daughters, family program,remember?) benefit form an experience
                they will look back on for the rest of their lives. Think of what an
                impact you could have on just avoiding the experience for all the new
                Tiger leaders that you went through, simply by being the source of
                training and info you did not have! The best way to serve the role of
                Pack Trainer is to take as much of the available training as you can
                - Wood Badge being the exception... at least for now. Good luck and I
                wish you well in your new role. I can predict great things in your
                Pack's program for the coming year(s).

                Yours in Scouting,

                Former Council Training Chairman and...
                Course Director, SR 695
                Central Florida Council (Orlando Florida)

              • S.Powell
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Hi Norman,

                  Have you attended a wood badge course? Your post is not clear to me.

                  norman henderson wrote:

                  > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                  > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                  > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                  > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                  > Thanks
                  > norman5572001

                • Andre Coltrin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Looking for food ideas for the outdoor experience.

                    Andre
                    ASM

                  • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                      I Thank you Sir for your advice,

                      I now have going on three years in the scouting program, and have received more help and information in the past three months from outside my pack and council, than within it.

                      When I was a parent, I didn't realize the work involved as a leader, when I became a Tiger Den Leader, I found it was the hardest thing I have ever attempted, trying to get parents to be involved. I must admit, I think I was my worse critic and not that great at it. Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.

                      So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back to date. Wait and see I guess.

                      Norman

                    • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                        The point of Wood Badge is the experience, not just the course
                        materials. This is why it is a bad idea to publicly post training
                        literature to those who are not trainers.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                          It seems that where I read that all leaders should try and achieve wood badge in their first two years. If I read this wrong, I am very sorry. I realize that it is a very high honor, and when I questioned why in the first two years, I never got a really good answer, so now I am not so worried about making the two year thing. I can go at my own pace.

                          Thanks
                          Norman

                          norman henderson wrote:

                          > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                          > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                          > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                          > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                          > Thanks
                          > norman5572001
                          >
                          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                          > copy of one.
                          > >

                          > > _____
                          > >
                          > > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>

                        • Sean Scott
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Norman,

                            The purpose behind the "first two years" emphasis is to get leaders
                            trained in the elements of leadership early on in their careers.

                            In a volunteer run program, we all-too-often see units (and event
                            districts and councils) where "That's how we've always done it"
                            overshadows the recommended or correct way of doing things. The
                            perpetuation of this mentality is often a result of leaders putting
                            off advanced training like Wood Badge until later in their careers.

                            Consider that the majority of Scouting's membership is in Cub
                            Scouting, and the majority of Boy Scouts come from Cub Scouts, yet
                            the greatest loss we experience in the program is at the transition.
                            One reason for this may be a lack of "seriousness" placed on the Cub
                            Scouting program. Previously, Wood Badge was reserved for Boy Scout
                            leaders, yet there's no reason that Cub Scout packs (or Venturing
                            crews, for that matter) cannot benefit from the leadership skills
                            presented at Wood Badge. By introducing these skills earlier, and
                            encouraging new leaders to attend, we're (hopefully) creating more
                            skilled, more empowered leaders at the Cub Scout level. The result
                            should be a better program at that level, which should in turn result
                            in a better program at the other levels.

                            I often equate Cub Scouting with a major league baseball program. Cub
                            Scouts is where we get our greatest attendance (boys), yet they're
                            watching a single-A team of rookies (leaders) play the game. The
                            coaches (trainers) need every tool available to ensure that those
                            players are equipped to entertain the fans (boys and families) and
                            make them want to come back to see the double-A (Boy Scouts) and
                            triple-A (Venturing) games, eventually graduating onto the majors
                            (life). Wood Badge is like training camp for those players--you
                            wouldn't think of fielding a ball club without sending the players
                            through camp. Neither should we think of playing the game of Scouting
                            without putting the players through Wood Badge.

                            To achieve that, we need to stop thinking of Wood Badge as a lofty
                            achievement or an exclusive group, and instead as a high, yet
                            attainable, goal that benefits the entire program. The mentality that
                            Wood Badge is exclusive or specialized must be shed!

                            YiS,
                            Sean

                          • corinnajones@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                              Check out the neighboring councils. Training is "good", no matter where you take it.
                              I will be taking Woodbadge in August (the class is full), others might do spring or later in fall.
                              HTH,
                              Corinna
                              At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                              training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                              to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                              Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                              Thanks
                              norman5572001

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                              > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                              copy of one.

                              > _____

                            • Matt Hannam
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                You cannot work or write a Wood Badge before you take the course. You cannot
                                even write the ticket until you attend the course. Wood Badge is an
                                intensive "Mountain To" training experience that must be attended in person.

                                _____

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                                "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                                > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                                copy of one.

                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                                > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
                                > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
                                been
                                > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
                                the
                                > library of Syllabi.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > Darrell Johnson wrote:
                                > >
                                > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
                                > >
                                > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                                www.nfcbsa.org
                                > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
                                > > 1.1.4322) 404
                                > >
                                > > What am I doing wrong???
                                > > -
                                > >
                                > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
                                > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
                                > > I hit the mother-lode!
                                > >
                                > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
                                > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                                > > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                > >

                                > > Ida
                                > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
                                Chair

                                > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
                                > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
                                > ADC & BS Training Chair
                                > Historic District
                                > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
                                >
                                > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                              • Matt Hannam
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and
                                  Box Oven or Reflector Oven cooking ideas.

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    ?? what cook book?

                                    Matt Hannam <mhannam@...> wrote: It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                        Thank you Sir,

                                        I am finding that there is a lot of " I am your not " attitude in my quest for answers and knowledge just to learn and grow for the better of my pack and the scouts as a whole.

                                        Norman H.

                                      • Dave Loomis
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                          Norman,
                                          You ARE the training chair for your pack committee, that's what a
                                          Pack Trainer does.

                                          Get involved with your district's training folks, and you'll soon
                                          have more work that you can shake a stick at.

                                          Dave

                                          Den Leader Norman Henderson wrote:

                                          > Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack
                                          > Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.
                                          >
                                          > So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could
                                          > find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good
                                          > thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and
                                          > complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn
                                          > more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training
                                          > Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for
                                          > our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the
                                          > chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back
                                          > to date. Wait and see I guess.
                                          >
                                          > Norman

                                          ADC & BS Training Chair
                                          Historic District
                                          Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                                          245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                          Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                        • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                                            Great, Thanks...I Think????

                                            So my Title is What?? Pack Trainer/ Committee Training Chair

                                            Anyway, Thanks, I will start contacting my Council and try to things going and hope a lot of help for myself, I want to be able to do my job and do it well. I can only do this, if I have the right training myself.
                                            Thanks again
                                            Norm