Re: [Scouter_T] Training Aids

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
      You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
      the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has been
      moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved the
      library of Syllabi.

      Dave

      Darrell Johnson wrote:

      > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
      >
      > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm www.nfcbsa.org
      > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
      > 1.1.4322) 404
      >
      > What am I doing wrong???
      > -
      >
      > Ida Lively <Ilively@... <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
      > I hit the mother-lode!
      >
      > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
      > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
      >

      > Ida
      > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

      ADC & BS Training Chair
      Historic District
      Daniel Webster Council, BSA

      245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

    • Matt Hannam
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
        I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a copy of one.

        _____

        Darrell Johnson wrote:

        > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
        >
        > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm www.nfcbsa.org
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
        > 1.1.4322) 404
        >
        > What am I doing wrong???
        > -
        >
        > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
        <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
        > I hit the mother-lode!
        >
        > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
        <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
        org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
        > <http://www.nfcbsa
        <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
        org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>

        > Ida
        > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
        <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
        ADC & BS Training Chair
        Historic District
        Daniel Webster Council, BSA

        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

      • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
          That site is from my Council. We had the information there for our
          trainers to access. Somehow the link got out on the Internet and our
          bandwidth usage went way up. We had to move the information off the server.
          Sorry for the confusion.

          Russ

          Darrell Johnson wrote:

          > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
          >
          > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm www.nfcbsa.org
          > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
          > 1.1.4322) 404
          >
          > What am I doing wrong???
          > -
          >
          > Ida Lively <Ilively@... <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
          > I hit the mother-lode!
          >
          > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
          > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
          >
          > Word of warning: when I clicked, I saved the linked file, and needed
          > to change .PPS to .PPT and it opened/worked fine for me from there.
          > [Remember, I'm no a MAC, so things may be different for you!]
          >
          > Additionally, be aware that these may NOT be the most recent versions
          > of the syllabi. I have a 2002 printing of SMS for example, and the
          > version at this link is only the 2001.
          >
          > Also, some of the files at the bottom of the page are either
          > corrupted, or nonexistent. CAUTION: do not use the UNIT BUDGET PLAN
          > because it is the OLD one ... registration and Boy's Life prices have
          > gone up! (And, if you give this plan to your units as is, you risk
          > them using this as 'gospel' and causing all kinds of issues.)
          >
          > Ida
          > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

        • richard pennington
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 3, 2006
            Yes please, iw ould like copies of them.

            Richard

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
              At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
              training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
              to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
              Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
              Thanks
              norman5572001

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

              > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
              copy of one.

              > _____

              On Behalf
              > Of Dave Loomis
              > Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:43 AM
              > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Training Aids
              >

              > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
              > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
              been
              > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
              the
              > library of Syllabi.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > Darrell Johnson wrote:
              > >
              > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
              > >
              > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
              www.nfcbsa.org
              > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
              > > 1.1.4322) 404
              > >
              > > What am I doing wrong???
              > > -
              > >
              > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
              > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
              > > I hit the mother-lode!
              > >
              > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
              > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
              > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
              > > <http://www.nfcbsa
              > <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
              > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
              > >

              > > Ida
              > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
              Chair

              > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
              > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
              > ADC & BS Training Chair
              > Historic District
              > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
              >
              > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
              > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

            • S.Powell
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hi Norman,

                Have you attended a course? Your post is not clear to me. One does not
                start their ticket until after they have attended the course and only
                with the approval of the Course Director (usually pre approved by Troop
                Guides on course).

                Additionally, if you are wanting the syllabus for staffing purposes it
                is given to you when you are selected as a staff member by the Course
                Director (through the 3rd Assistant SM for Troop Guides).

                YiS,
                Steve

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Norman,

                  I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative. But Wood Badge is not the
                  type of course you take "on CD or PowerPoint". The information
                  available thru resource materials is only the basis (framework) for a
                  much more complex learning experience and is intended for the staff
                  only. The real lessons of Wood Badge only come through being there,
                  taught by experienced and dedicated Scouters who each bring their
                  perspectives, example, and learned lessons to the course. You can not
                  get that through CDs or Powerpoints. Nor can you get the learning
                  which is reinforced by the experience of going through the course
                  itself, an experienced that is forged through the anvil of
                  challenges, thoughtful instruction, and team building exercises
                  shared with a small group of like minded participants and fellow
                  Scouters - your patrol. Wood Badge is more than the course material
                  itself. It is an extraordinary learning experience much greater than
                  the syllabus or resource materials themselves. Many call Wood Badge
                  the height of their Scouting "career" and it should not be so lightly
                  thought of as replacing information available from some CDs or
                  Powerpoints as a substitute for the experience. Something else to
                  consider - the real value of Wood Badge can only take root after one
                  has had a certain amount of experience in the program as a leader,
                  say at least a year or two, and developed a certain level of
                  commitment to the Scouting program and the values it represents. I'm
                  afraid the lessons of Wood Badge are all too often lost on the novice.

                  As for your ticket, it seems a wasted effort to be "already working
                  on my ticket" when you know not what the purpose of Wood Badge is,
                  have not experienced the lessons of the course, and have not
                  benefited from the coaching or guidance of how to formulate ticket
                  items that would best serve not only your position but the Scouting
                  program in your unit and district as well.

                  If Wood Badge is truly that important to you right now, look for a
                  course in another Council. Wood Badge is Wood Badge where ever it is
                  taken. However, you will miss out on forming the bonds that come from
                  sharing it with others in your immediate area. I would encourage you
                  to take your time and look forward to Wood Badge with the commitment
                  and dedication (to training and to the program of Scouting) it
                  deserves. Relish the experience and encourage others to do the
                  same... for the good of your son's experience in Scouting and the
                  Scouting program.

                  Besides, you have your hands full as a new Pack Trainer. Now THAT is
                  a very important roll, one that could have a profound impact on the
                  quality of the Scouting program in you unit. By developing the best
                  trained leaders available to put on a great program, all your sons
                  (and daughters, family program,remember?) benefit form an experience
                  they will look back on for the rest of their lives. Think of what an
                  impact you could have on just avoiding the experience for all the new
                  Tiger leaders that you went through, simply by being the source of
                  training and info you did not have! The best way to serve the role of
                  Pack Trainer is to take as much of the available training as you can
                  - Wood Badge being the exception... at least for now. Good luck and I
                  wish you well in your new role. I can predict great things in your
                  Pack's program for the coming year(s).

                  Yours in Scouting,

                  Former Council Training Chairman and...
                  Course Director, SR 695
                  Central Florida Council (Orlando Florida)

                • S.Powell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Hi Norman,

                    Have you attended a wood badge course? Your post is not clear to me.

                    norman henderson wrote:

                    > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                    > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                    > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                    > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                    > Thanks
                    > norman5572001

                  • Andre Coltrin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                      Looking for food ideas for the outdoor experience.

                      Andre
                      ASM

                    • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                        I Thank you Sir for your advice,

                        I now have going on three years in the scouting program, and have received more help and information in the past three months from outside my pack and council, than within it.

                        When I was a parent, I didn't realize the work involved as a leader, when I became a Tiger Den Leader, I found it was the hardest thing I have ever attempted, trying to get parents to be involved. I must admit, I think I was my worse critic and not that great at it. Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.

                        So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back to date. Wait and see I guess.

                        Norman

                      • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                          The point of Wood Badge is the experience, not just the course
                          materials. This is why it is a bad idea to publicly post training
                          literature to those who are not trainers.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                            It seems that where I read that all leaders should try and achieve wood badge in their first two years. If I read this wrong, I am very sorry. I realize that it is a very high honor, and when I questioned why in the first two years, I never got a really good answer, so now I am not so worried about making the two year thing. I can go at my own pace.

                            Thanks
                            Norman

                            norman henderson wrote:

                            > At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                            > training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                            > to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                            > Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                            > Thanks
                            > norman5572001
                            >
                            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                            > copy of one.
                            > >

                            > > _____
                            > >
                            > > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>

                          • Sean Scott
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                              Norman,

                              The purpose behind the "first two years" emphasis is to get leaders
                              trained in the elements of leadership early on in their careers.

                              In a volunteer run program, we all-too-often see units (and event
                              districts and councils) where "That's how we've always done it"
                              overshadows the recommended or correct way of doing things. The
                              perpetuation of this mentality is often a result of leaders putting
                              off advanced training like Wood Badge until later in their careers.

                              Consider that the majority of Scouting's membership is in Cub
                              Scouting, and the majority of Boy Scouts come from Cub Scouts, yet
                              the greatest loss we experience in the program is at the transition.
                              One reason for this may be a lack of "seriousness" placed on the Cub
                              Scouting program. Previously, Wood Badge was reserved for Boy Scout
                              leaders, yet there's no reason that Cub Scout packs (or Venturing
                              crews, for that matter) cannot benefit from the leadership skills
                              presented at Wood Badge. By introducing these skills earlier, and
                              encouraging new leaders to attend, we're (hopefully) creating more
                              skilled, more empowered leaders at the Cub Scout level. The result
                              should be a better program at that level, which should in turn result
                              in a better program at the other levels.

                              I often equate Cub Scouting with a major league baseball program. Cub
                              Scouts is where we get our greatest attendance (boys), yet they're
                              watching a single-A team of rookies (leaders) play the game. The
                              coaches (trainers) need every tool available to ensure that those
                              players are equipped to entertain the fans (boys and families) and
                              make them want to come back to see the double-A (Boy Scouts) and
                              triple-A (Venturing) games, eventually graduating onto the majors
                              (life). Wood Badge is like training camp for those players--you
                              wouldn't think of fielding a ball club without sending the players
                              through camp. Neither should we think of playing the game of Scouting
                              without putting the players through Wood Badge.

                              To achieve that, we need to stop thinking of Wood Badge as a lofty
                              achievement or an exclusive group, and instead as a high, yet
                              attainable, goal that benefits the entire program. The mentality that
                              Wood Badge is exclusive or specialized must be shed!

                              YiS,
                              Sean

                            • corinnajones@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 4, 2006
                                Check out the neighboring councils. Training is "good", no matter where you take it.
                                I will be taking Woodbadge in August (the class is full), others might do spring or later in fall.
                                HTH,
                                Corinna
                                At our Parent and Pal last week, it was announced that the next
                                training for Wood Badge will be in the fall of 2007. I would like
                                to get started a lot sooner, anyone have the Course on CD or
                                Powerpoint, I am already working on my ticket.
                                Thanks
                                norman5572001

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                                > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                                copy of one.

                                > _____

                              • Matt Hannam
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  You cannot work or write a Wood Badge before you take the course. You cannot
                                  even write the ticket until you attend the course. Wood Badge is an
                                  intensive "Mountain To" training experience that must be attended in person.

                                  _____

                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                                  "Matt Hannam" <mhannam@...> wrote:

                                  > I downloaded and saved them on my hard drive if anyone needs a
                                  copy of one.

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                                  > You're not doing anything wrong. If you remove the last bit of
                                  > the address you will get a message stating, Sorry This page has
                                  been
                                  > moved because of abuse outside of our training group. They moved
                                  the
                                  > library of Syllabi.
                                  >
                                  > Dave
                                  >
                                  > Darrell Johnson wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > This comes back as some eror. I get the following.
                                  > >
                                  > > (none) 65.141.137.91 /greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                                  www.nfcbsa.org
                                  > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
                                  > > 1.1.4322) 404
                                  > >
                                  > > What am I doing wrong???
                                  > > -
                                  > >
                                  > > Ida Lively <Ilively@adelphia. <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net> net
                                  > <mailto:Ilively%40adelphia.net>> wrote:
                                  > > I hit the mother-lode!
                                  > >
                                  > > Check out: http://www.nfcbsa
                                  > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                  <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                  org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                  > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm
                                  > > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                  > <http://www.nfcbsa
                                  <http://www.nfcbsa.org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                  org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                  > org/greatmuskogee/Library/Sylibus.htm>
                                  > >

                                  > > Ida
                                  > > - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training
                                  Chair

                                  > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet
                                  > <mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet%40rcn.com> @...
                                  > ADC & BS Training Chair
                                  > Historic District
                                  > Daniel Webster Council, BSA
                                  >
                                  > 245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                  > Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                • Matt Hannam
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and
                                    Box Oven or Reflector Oven cooking ideas.

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                      ?? what cook book?

                                      Matt Hannam <mhannam@...> wrote: It does not get any better than this cook book. Lots of great Dutch Oven and

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                          Thank you Sir,

                                          I am finding that there is a lot of " I am your not " attitude in my quest for answers and knowledge just to learn and grow for the better of my pack and the scouts as a whole.

                                          Norman H.

                                        • Dave Loomis
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
                                            Norman,
                                            You ARE the training chair for your pack committee, that's what a
                                            Pack Trainer does.

                                            Get involved with your district's training folks, and you'll soon
                                            have more work that you can shake a stick at.

                                            Dave

                                            Den Leader Norman Henderson wrote:

                                            > Then someone in our Committee decided I would make a good Pack
                                            > Trainer, yet no one seemed to know exactly what it was, I was to do.
                                            >
                                            > So, I got on line, started reading, took every training course I could
                                            > find there, and here I am, wanting to learn more and more. The good
                                            > thing is that my council told me, that all the training I take and
                                            > complete, certifies me to teach classes in them. OK, I want to learn
                                            > more. So any idea's. I am trying to find out if we have a Training
                                            > Chair on our Committee, I have a program to track training records for
                                            > our Pack Leaders and Committee, I have requested name to put with the
                                            > chairs and leaders for the new season, but havent received much back
                                            > to date. Wait and see I guess.
                                            >
                                            > Norman

                                            ADC & BS Training Chair
                                            Historic District
                                            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                                            245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                            Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                          • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                                              Great, Thanks...I Think????

                                              So my Title is What?? Pack Trainer/ Committee Training Chair

                                              Anyway, Thanks, I will start contacting my Council and try to things going and hope a lot of help for myself, I want to be able to do my job and do it well. I can only do this, if I have the right training myself.
                                              Thanks again
                                              Norm