Re: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Training

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
      Thanks!

      ~Elaine

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Stu Allen
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:15 AM
      Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Training

      On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:02:21AM -0400, Elaine D. Boyd wrote:

      > In printing off the Facilitator's Guide (pdf doc) from national's web site,
      > it refers to handouts for the course. I can't find any. The link that BSA
      > provides, brings me to the online training (and no handouts).

      The handout is actually part of the Facilitator's Guide. Look for the
      page starting with "Questions and Answers". I think it's 4 pages.

      --
      Stu Allen email: allensr@...
      CM/SA Pack/Troop 92

    • Elaine D. Boyd
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
        Hi,

        I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

        I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child abuse reporting requirements for my council.

        I could spend a few hours pulling all these parts together so that they flowed well and that I covered all the info that needs to be covered - but why reinvent the wheel? Does anyone have something like this that they are willing to share? I really want this to be a great training session. I want those that attend feel that this was more informative than the online version and that the two hours they just gave up where worth it. :-)

        Yours in Scouting,

        ~Elaine Boyd
        Scouter in NH

      • Michael Brown
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine D. Boyd" <edboyd@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection
          Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have
          deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

          > I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the
          following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection
          and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child
          abuse reporting requirements for my council.

          AFAIK, the facilitator's guide is your script.

          Its been awhile since I did the live training, but it pretty much as
          been to show the video, go thru the questions & such in the guide,
          and answer any questions the participants might have.

          Michael Brown
        • Elaine D. Boyd
          Message 4 of 18 , May 18, 2010
            Has there been a new Youth Protection training (YPT) program released?
            The DVD that I have been using, has been around for years. It is the
            one with the panel of experts, a bored looking audience (not a Scout
            uniform to be seen) and the three scenarios that you watch and then
            pause the DVD to discus. I was told by my training counterpart (Boy
            Scout Training Chair in my district) that he had the new DVD. I spoke
            with our Council Training Chair last night and she was not aware of any
            new YPT available.

            I checked out Scoutstuff.org and there is a YPT DVD with 2010 printing
            date and 2005 copy right. The one I am using is older than 2005.

            Yours in Scouting,

            ~Elaine Boyd
            Scouter in NH

          • Daniel Toyooka
            Message 5 of 18 , May 18, 2010
              Elaine:

              From your description, I am assuming that you are asking about the YPT for adult leaders not the YPT for scouts. There is a new YPT DVD for adult leaders that was released in 2010. It is much shorter than the previous edition and is centered around a charter representative doing a program review with two new leaders. There are still a couple of scenarios that the facilitator is asked to stop the DVD and do a group discussion. I heard about this DVD last summer and was only able to get it through our Council this last month. The National BSA training website has a section where you can download the facilitators guide for the new DVD and a button to order the DVD, but the last time I tried to click on it to order one, the site would not allow you to click on the order button.
              The online training takes excerpts� from this DVD to train the student from. The big change is that there is now a test that all students are expected to take and pass before you are issued a certificate. If you do a training using the DVD, your students are instructed to go to the National BSA Training website after doing your training, login (or create an account if they haven�t already) and select YPT test and take the test. The facilitator�s guide does have a copy of the test and the answer key so that you can give the test for those that may not have computer access.

              Hope that helps,

              Dan

              Message 6 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                Dan,

                Thanks for the info - yes I am referring to the adult leader training.
                I was able to find the DVD on Scoutstuff.org and it did let me order it.

                I guess my next email will be to the professional Scouter assigned to
                the training committee. You'd think he would have let the committee
                know that Youth Protection Training was updated. Sigh.

                ~Elaine

                Message 7 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                  Elaine:

                  Great, I�m glad that you were able to order the new DVD. YPT training is very important and I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                    Dan,

                    It is required now for a den leader to be considered fully trained.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                      Elaine:

                      I wasn�t aware of that. I know that as of 2008, the new adult leader application says on the front page that �you are expected to take Youth Protection training within 90 days.� Our District took this to mean that you are required to take YPT. As it turns out, �expected� and �required� are not the same.

                    • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                        Dan,

                        You're talking about two different things. You are expected to take the training within 90 days. You're required to have the training to be considered a trained leader.

                        Bruce

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                          Dan,

                          YPT has been required to earn the "Trained" patch for a couple of years for all programs. By the end of next year, direct contact leaders will be required to be "Trained" within a reasonable amount of time to be able to recharter with their unit.

                          Yours in Scouting,
                          Ken Todd, NE-CS-59
                          Cub Scout Roundtbale Commissioner

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                          ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                          > Dan
                        • Daniel Toyooka
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 19, 2010
                            Ken:

                            Thanks to you and Bruce for pointing out that to be a �Trained� Cub Scout Leader, you are required to take YPT. Since Bruce indicated this, I was able to go online and look at the requirements to be a �Trained� leader as of 2010 and it looks like to be a �Trained� Scout leader, Cub master, Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, it is now required to take YPT. For right now it is not required to take YPT if you are just registered as an adult or are not �Trained.�

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com<mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                            ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                            > Dan

                          • Michael Crothers
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                              As a council training chair I am interested in how other councils are tackling this effort.

                              In Tecumseh Council we are doing the following:

                              a. Increasing the number of classes teaching Youth Protection training.
                              b. Sent out a letter to everyone who is not current.
                              c. Sent out a letter to all who would expire before recharter.
                              d. Included a letter in the Program Kickoff packet for each unit.
                              e. Council Commissioners staff intend to be avail for training at the unit level.
                              f. Sending a DVD with the video, quiz, facilitators guide, and local reporting procedures to
                                 each unit in the council.
                              g. Showing the Video at District and Council level meets.
                              Yours In Scouting

                              Mike Crothers

                              Tecumseh Council Training Chair

                              and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                              and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                            • Bill
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                                So far we have been pushing people to take the online training with pretty good results. Instructor led is an option, but then you have the record keeping headache

                                Bill