Youth Protection Training

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi,

      I am planning on offering Youth Protection Training (YPT) as a "live" training session for the first time in my district in many years. Once the online version came out, the training chair stopped offering YPT. This will be my first time leading the training.

      In printing off the Facilitator's Guide (pdf doc) from national's web site, it refers to handouts for the course. I can't find any. The link that BSA provides, brings me to the online training (and no handouts).

      I know that I should have one handout with the reporting procedures for my council. What else should the participants get as handouts?

      Any help would be appreciated!

      Yours in Scouting,

      ~Elaine Boyd
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      Abnaki District ~ Daniel Webster Council, NH

    • Stu Allen
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
        On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:02:21AM -0400, Elaine D. Boyd wrote:

        > In printing off the Facilitator's Guide (pdf doc) from national's web site,
        > it refers to handouts for the course. I can't find any. The link that BSA
        > provides, brings me to the online training (and no handouts).

        The handout is actually part of the Facilitator's Guide. Look for the
        page starting with "Questions and Answers". I think it's 4 pages.

        --
        Stu Allen email: allensr@...
        CM/SA Pack/Troop 92
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
          Thanks!

          ~Elaine

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
            Hi,

            I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

            I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child abuse reporting requirements for my council.

            I could spend a few hours pulling all these parts together so that they flowed well and that I covered all the info that needs to be covered - but why reinvent the wheel? Does anyone have something like this that they are willing to share? I really want this to be a great training session. I want those that attend feel that this was more informative than the online version and that the two hours they just gave up where worth it. :-)

            Yours in Scouting,

            ~Elaine Boyd
            Scouter in NH

          • Michael Brown
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine D. Boyd" <edboyd@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection
              Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have
              deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

              > I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the
              following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection
              and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child
              abuse reporting requirements for my council.

              AFAIK, the facilitator's guide is your script.

              Its been awhile since I did the live training, but it pretty much as
              been to show the video, go thru the questions & such in the guide,
              and answer any questions the participants might have.

              Michael Brown
            • Elaine D. Boyd
              Message 6 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                Has there been a new Youth Protection training (YPT) program released?
                The DVD that I have been using, has been around for years. It is the
                one with the panel of experts, a bored looking audience (not a Scout
                uniform to be seen) and the three scenarios that you watch and then
                pause the DVD to discus. I was told by my training counterpart (Boy
                Scout Training Chair in my district) that he had the new DVD. I spoke
                with our Council Training Chair last night and she was not aware of any
                new YPT available.

                I checked out Scoutstuff.org and there is a YPT DVD with 2010 printing
                date and 2005 copy right. The one I am using is older than 2005.

                Yours in Scouting,

                ~Elaine Boyd
                Scouter in NH

              • Daniel Toyooka
                Message 7 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                  Elaine:

                  From your description, I am assuming that you are asking about the YPT for adult leaders not the YPT for scouts. There is a new YPT DVD for adult leaders that was released in 2010. It is much shorter than the previous edition and is centered around a charter representative doing a program review with two new leaders. There are still a couple of scenarios that the facilitator is asked to stop the DVD and do a group discussion. I heard about this DVD last summer and was only able to get it through our Council this last month. The National BSA training website has a section where you can download the facilitators guide for the new DVD and a button to order the DVD, but the last time I tried to click on it to order one, the site would not allow you to click on the order button.
                  The online training takes excerpts� from this DVD to train the student from. The big change is that there is now a test that all students are expected to take and pass before you are issued a certificate. If you do a training using the DVD, your students are instructed to go to the National BSA Training website after doing your training, login (or create an account if they haven�t already) and select YPT test and take the test. The facilitator�s guide does have a copy of the test and the answer key so that you can give the test for those that may not have computer access.

                  Hope that helps,

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                    Dan,

                    Thanks for the info - yes I am referring to the adult leader training.
                    I was able to find the DVD on Scoutstuff.org and it did let me order it.

                    I guess my next email will be to the professional Scouter assigned to
                    the training committee. You'd think he would have let the committee
                    know that Youth Protection Training was updated. Sigh.

                    ~Elaine

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                      Elaine:

                      Great, I�m glad that you were able to order the new DVD. YPT training is very important and I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                        Dan,

                        It is required now for a den leader to be considered fully trained.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                          Elaine:

                          I wasn�t aware of that. I know that as of 2008, the new adult leader application says on the front page that �you are expected to take Youth Protection training within 90 days.� Our District took this to mean that you are required to take YPT. As it turns out, �expected� and �required� are not the same.

                        • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                            Dan,

                            You're talking about two different things. You are expected to take the training within 90 days. You're required to have the training to be considered a trained leader.

                            Bruce

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 18, 2010
                              Dan,

                              YPT has been required to earn the "Trained" patch for a couple of years for all programs. By the end of next year, direct contact leaders will be required to be "Trained" within a reasonable amount of time to be able to recharter with their unit.

                              Yours in Scouting,
                              Ken Todd, NE-CS-59
                              Cub Scout Roundtbale Commissioner

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                              ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                              > Dan
                            • Daniel Toyooka
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 19, 2010
                                Ken:

                                Thanks to you and Bruce for pointing out that to be a �Trained� Cub Scout Leader, you are required to take YPT. Since Bruce indicated this, I was able to go online and look at the requirements to be a �Trained� leader as of 2010 and it looks like to be a �Trained� Scout leader, Cub master, Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, it is now required to take YPT. For right now it is not required to take YPT if you are just registered as an adult or are not �Trained.�

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com<mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                                ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                                > Dan

                              • Michael Crothers
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2 6:53 AM
                                  As a council training chair I am interested in how other councils are tackling this effort.

                                  In Tecumseh Council we are doing the following:

                                  a. Increasing the number of classes teaching Youth Protection training.
                                  b. Sent out a letter to everyone who is not current.
                                  c. Sent out a letter to all who would expire before recharter.
                                  d. Included a letter in the Program Kickoff packet for each unit.
                                  e. Council Commissioners staff intend to be avail for training at the unit level.
                                  f. Sending a DVD with the video, quiz, facilitators guide, and local reporting procedures to
                                     each unit in the council.
                                  g. Showing the Video at District and Council level meets.
                                  Yours In Scouting

                                  Mike Crothers

                                  Tecumseh Council Training Chair

                                  and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                  and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                • Bill
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 2 9:14 AM
                                    So far we have been pushing people to take the online training with pretty good results. Instructor led is an option, but then you have the record keeping headache

                                    Bill