Tiger leader training packets

  • Herbert Dulzo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      I am working on training packets for fall cub leader training. Does
      anyone have handouts for the revised tiger program. How about a
      revised uniform inspection sheet that actually mentions tigers? Seem
      selling uniforms is primary to training materials.

      As a last resort I guess I can copy pages out of the tiger handbook?

      Herb Dulzo
      Arrowhead District
      Chicago Area Council
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
        Herb,

        Unless there was a flier or other material distributed
        at the national meeting, there's very little in print
        on the Tiger Cub revisions which went into effect on
        Thursday, June 1, 2006. The changes are:

        Bobcat is now earned before earning the
        Tiger Cub rank badge.

        Tiger Cubs now use the "Do Your Best" Cub
        Scout motto in lieu of the "Search, Discover,
        Share" Tiger Cub motto when earning the Tiger
        Cub totem (and I suppose at all other times
        as well.)

        There are a few references to these changes sprinkled
        about here and there in the 2nd printing of the 2005
        edition of the Cub Scout Leader handbook.

        There was a one sentence blurb in the last edition of
        Scouting magazine.

        These changes are incorporated into the online version
        of Tiger Cub Leader Fast Start Training, located at:
        http://olc.scouting.org

        The most current handbook for Tiger Cubs that I am
        aware of is the 2005 printing. This printing does
        not reference the Bobcat changes. It does have
        illustrations with the Tiger Cubs in the blue
        uniforms with their orange neckers and orange &
        blue covers rather than the orange t-shirts.

        Side note to anyone who was at the national meeting:
        If there was anything distributed in print
        regarding the Tiger Cubs, and you know what
        it says, please chime in and educate the rest
        of us.

        Kevin in Norman, America

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
          I've had fair luck using the current Scouting Sales Catalog
          to point out what most of the various Scouts should be wearing; but
          DON'T use the cover on the 2006 catalog as an example, as it has a few
          glaring errors, this year.

          The advantage of using the Scout catalog is that you can
          usually get free copies from your Scout Shop, and it gives the new
          leaders a look at what it available, before National gets around to
          sending them a copy. If your Scout Shop is playing fair, it will also
          list the local retailers who stock uniform items, on the blank space at
          the back of the catalog. These folks are donating a specific area of
          their sales floor to provide uniforming to local units, and aren't
          making all that much for their effort.

          Dave

          Herbert Dulzo wrote:
          > I am working on training packets for fall cub leader training. Does
          > anyone have handouts for the revised tiger program. How about a
          > revised uniform inspection sheet that actually mentions tigers? Seem
          > selling uniforms is primary to training materials.
          >
          > As a last resort I guess I can copy pages out of the tiger handbook?
          >
          > Herb Dulzo
          > Arrowhead District
          > Chicago Area Council

          ADC & BS Training Chair
          Historic District
          Daniel Webster Council, BSA

          245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
        • Gerry Moon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
            There is a "second printing" of the new blue-cover Leader Book in
            which there is one paragraph noting that starting in the 2006-2007
            year, Tigers will earn Bobcat first, then work on the Tiger Cub
            rank.

            Note also that the Wolf, Bear and Webelos handbooks are now in print
            with the spiral ring bound versions - but the Tiger book is notably
            absent in this new format. This makes me suspect there is an updated
            book coming down the pike. Since the uniform inspection sheets come
            down from National too, it may be a while before we see any
            revisions that are Tiger-specific in that as well.

            Your Friend in Scouting,
            Gerry Moon
            Little Econ District
            Communications Chair
            Unit Commissioner
            Cub Scout Training Team
            Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
            Central Florida Council
            Orlando, FL
            SR-584 (Fox)
          • Gerry Moon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
              Followup note....

              Last night I picked up a NEW EDITION Tiger Cub handbook - the spiral-
              bound version. It does indeed have the updated Tiger Cub
              requirements (essentially, it's saying Tigers earn Bobcat before
              Tiger and the old Tiger Cub Motto "Search, Discover, Share" has gone
              by the wayside and Tigers now use the standard Cub Scout motto "Do
              Your Best" - and the Character Connections are incorporated).

              If there are other changes, they're subtle enough to not jump out at
              me. If I find anything else earth-shattering, I'll be sure to post.

              Your Friend in Scouting,
              Gerry Moon
              Little Econ District
              Communications Chair