Re: [Scouter_T] SPACE THEME RELIGIOUS SERVICE

  • Chad C. Cooper
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2006
      Here are a couple prayers, one from MacScouter

      GOD OF THE UNIVERSE
      God of the universe, help us to see the hope of
      a better future for all your people. Help us to rise
      above our own likes and dislikes when there are
      more important things to consider, and to play our
      part in achieving some great good for our country
      and for the world. Amen.

      And one from the The Phoenix (with a little modification could refer to
      future civilizations)

      THE SPIRIT LIVES
      The spirit lives, there is no doubt,
      Within the heart of every Scout,
      The hope lives on, the dreams survive,
      The Scouting spirit is alive.
      In England, many years ago,
      There lived a man who sought to sow,
      The seeds of brotherhood of man,
      And there the spirit began.
      The Scouting spirit spread about
      To nations east, west, north and south,
      And soon, on every land and shore,
      Young men were taught the Scouting Law.
      We camped and learned nature's ways,
      We gloried in our youthful days,
      We ventured where all others feared,
      Because we knew we were prepared.
      The world has changed as years went by,
      Society's values went awry,
      And many ask, "What is the worth
      of Scouting on this wretched earth?"
      But each new Scout who learns our law
      Brings with him hope and so much, much more;
      Each generation of Scouts gives
      The proof that Scouting's spirit lives.
      The treasured values of the past
      Still guide Scouts of today; they last
      in spite of changes that we see
      Around us in society.
      And, still adventures filled with fun
      Await today's Scouts, every one;
      In them that spirit, born of old
      May yet transform this sorry world.

      And a service from Thomas Kubow's 12th Point

      Up is Different from Down

      Meditation: The happiness of every country depends upon the character of
      its people,
      rather than the from of its government.

      Opening: CA This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be
      glad in it.

      Song: God Bless America
      God bless America, land that I love,
      Stand beside her and guide her
      Thru the night with the light from above
      From the mountains, to the prairies
      To the ocean, white with foam.
      God bless America,
      My home sweet home.

      Reading: CA 1 Timothy 4:7-12 (selected)

      To think about: (Chaplain) Up is Different from Down by Vick Vickery and
      Within my Power by Forest Witcraft

      Prayer: CA For This Creation by Lowell Baker

      Song: Thanks and praise, for our days
      ‘Neath the sun, ‘neath the stars,
      ‘Neath the sky.
      As we go, This we know, God is nigh.

      Chaplain’s Thought to Leave / Live By:
      Reread the opening meditation, then consider this:

      The most valuable gift you can give another is a good example. - GLIB

      Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which
      you must see the world. – George Bernard Shaw

      Up is Different From Down by Vick Vickery
      When our country’s various space craft were was being built the
      scientists and
      engineers decided, that in order to save vital space, they should put
      the various control
      panels around the interior of the ship with no regard for floor/ceiling
      or top/bottom
      orientation. Their reasoning was...that in weightlessness the up and
      down positions
      were not important. The experience of the astronauts who lived and
      worked in the
      weightless environment, however, proved the opposite. They reported that
      even as
      they floated in weightlessness, they found it necessary to establish a
      mental orientation
      of up and down, top and bottom.
      In today’s “earth lab” young people and older people often find
      themselves in
      weightlessness...just floating, with no moral orientation for right and
      wrong, good and
      bad. Those who wish to manipulate the lives of people seek to place
      these controls out
      of their reach.
      Scouting has recognized from its beginning that young people must have
      moral values
      built into their lives by adults and older experienced scouts who
      believe in them and
      who are willing to help them discover values.

      Within My Power by Forest Witcraft
      I am not a very important person, as importance is commonly rated. I d
      not have great
      wealth, control a big business, or occupy a position of great honor or
      authority.
      Yet, I may someday mold destiny. For it is within my power to become the
      most
      important person in the world in the life of a boy. And every boy is a
      potential atom
      bomb in human history.
      All about me are boys. They are the makers of history, the builders of
      tomorrow. If I can
      have some part in guiding them up the trail of Scouting, on the high
      road of noble
      character and constructive citizenship, I may prove to be the most
      important person in
      their lives, the most important person in my community.
      A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
      the sort of
      house I lived in, how I did in the cooking corral or pioneering event at
      the Spring
      Camporee. But the world may be different, because of the example I set,
      because of
      the values I held and because I was important in the life of a boy.