TLT

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2006
      Fred,

      How did it turn out with your TLT? I bet there's more than just me on the list interested in
      the answer to this one.

      I have a Scouter in my area asking about TLT. Do you have the book number/code?

      Ida
    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2006
        > From: "Ida Lively" Ilively@...
        > Date: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:27am(PDT)
        >
        > How did it turn out with your TLT? I bet there's more than just me
        > on the list interested in the answer to this one.

        I guess it went OK -- we're trying to schedule a make-up for those boys
        who missed it. The SM said it went great, but my son (who attended as
        a chaplain aide, altho he was eventually allowed to seek a position as
        a den chief) said it was boring!

        I basically put the material into bullet-point form on a poster-pad. I
        led off with the "Troop Meeting" portion of the SM Fast Start Training,
        simply because our troop meetings look nothing like those and the
        adults have far too much involvement in them. Your situation may be
        different and not call for such a deviation from the syllabus.

        I asked the boys afterwards which part they liked the most, and most
        agreed it was the part when they got to recommend changes to the
        program, dropping things we don't do well, keeping those things we do
        do well, and changing other parts to improve them. I think it was the
        first time many of them had a chance to express how they really felt
        about the Troop and how it operates.

        The part that went the slowest was the "vision thing". The syllabus
        really doesn't give much guidance on how to write a vision statement or
        why its important, so I supplemented with some management stuff I found
        online.

        The syllabus says each of the three sessions should last about an hour
        -- ours went much faster. We were fininshed in about 2-1/2 hours, even
        with the addition of the DVD segment and a supplemental session on the
        parts of a Troop Meeting which I took from the SM Manual.

        Again, YMMV.

        > I have a Scouter in my area asking about TLT. Do you have the book
        > number/code?

        Sorry, I don't have it with me -- your Scout Shop should have it. Its
        a very thin set of looseleaf pages, easy to miss if you're looking for
        something the size of the SM Manual.
      • bobbinbobwhite
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2006
          I just received the one I ordered - Troop Leadership Training
          Catalog #34306A

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...>