Re: OWL Training Question

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

      > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
      >
      > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
      > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
      > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
      > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
      > Boy Scouting"
      >
      > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
      > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
      > guests of the troop."

      My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
      APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
      camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

      In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
      There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
      spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
      person on hand at all times.

      So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
      committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
      for it.

      Ida Lively
      - Juniata Valley Council
    • ed5870@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
        In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        Ilively@... writes:

        So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
        Council Camping
        committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
        youth, and go
        for it.

        I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
        Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

        Ed Harvey
        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
        Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
        I used to be an Antelope
        Hudson Valley Council