RE: [Scouter_T] Re: OWL Training Question

  • Kent Wolfe
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
      I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

      Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
      "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
      not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
      part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
      Boy Scouting"

      Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
      "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
      guests of the troop."

      From

      Kent Wolfe

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
        We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
        It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
        Kat

        =====================

        Kent Wolfe wrote:
        > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
        > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
        > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
        how
        > they justify it.
        >
        > Kent Wolfe

        Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
        ADC & BS Training Chair
        Historic District
        Daniel Webster Council, BSA

        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
         Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

          > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
          >
          > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
          > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
          > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
          > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
          > Boy Scouting"
          >
          > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
          > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
          > guests of the troop."

          My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
          APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
          camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

          In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
          There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
          spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
          person on hand at all times.

          So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
          committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
          for it.

          Ida Lively
          - Juniata Valley Council
        • ed5870@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
            In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            Ilively@... writes:

            So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
            Council Camping
            committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
            youth, and go
            for it.

            I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
            Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

            Ed Harvey
            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
            Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
            I used to be an Antelope
            Hudson Valley Council