Re: [Scouter_T] Re: OWL Training Question

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
      In a message dated 4/7/2006 10:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

      > believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
      > overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.

      No, they may visit as I understand it but not participate in the activities.
      You are correct they may not stay overnight.

    • Kent Wolfe
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
        I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

        Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
        "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
        not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
        part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
        Boy Scouting"

        Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
        "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
        guests of the troop."

        From

        Kent Wolfe

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
          We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
          It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
          Kat

          =====================

          Kent Wolfe wrote:
          > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
          > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
          > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
          how
          > they justify it.
          >
          > Kent Wolfe

          Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
          ADC & BS Training Chair
          Historic District
          Daniel Webster Council, BSA

          245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
           Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
        • Ida Lively
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

            > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
            >
            > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
            > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
            > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
            > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
            > Boy Scouting"
            >
            > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
            > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
            > guests of the troop."

            My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
            APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
            camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

            In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
            There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
            spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
            person on hand at all times.

            So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
            committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
            for it.

            Ida Lively
            - Juniata Valley Council
          • ed5870@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
              In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              Ilively@... writes:

              So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
              Council Camping
              committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
              youth, and go
              for it.

              I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
              Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

              Ed Harvey
              Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
              Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
              I used to be an Antelope
              Hudson Valley Council