Re: [Scouter_T] Re: OWL Training Question

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
      I believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
      overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.
      In the past, WEBELOS Dens might go to a camporee, as long as there was
      one "parent" for each Scout attending. They were allowed to do the Boy
      Scout stuff at the outing that Cubs could do - no ax or knife usage -
      but not actually compete with the Boy Scouts.

      Since many Scouts come from one parent family, other Scouters
      could be designated a "parent" for the camp out, and then it seemed as
      if less people were supervising more Cubs and the process devolved to my
      statement in the first paragraph.

      Dave

      Kent Wolfe wrote:
      > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
      > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
      > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
      > they justify it.
      >
      > Kent Wolfe

      ADC & BS Training Chair
      Historic District
      Daniel Webster Council, BSA

      245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
    • ed5870@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
        In a message dated 4/7/2006 10:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

        > believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
        > overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.

        No, they may visit as I understand it but not participate in the activities.
        You are correct they may not stay overnight.

      • Kent Wolfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
          I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

          Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
          "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
          not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
          part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
          Boy Scouting"

          Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
          "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
          guests of the troop."

          From

          Kent Wolfe

          Kent Wolfe wrote:
          > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
          > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
          > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
          how
          > they justify it.
          >
          > Kent Wolfe

          ADC & BS Training Chair
          Historic District
          Daniel Webster Council, BSA

          245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
            We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
            It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
            Kat

            =====================

            Kent Wolfe wrote:
            > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
            > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
            > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
            how
            > they justify it.
            >
            > Kent Wolfe

            Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
            ADC & BS Training Chair
            Historic District
            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

            245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
             Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
          • Ida Lively
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

              > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
              >
              > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
              > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
              > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
              > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
              > Boy Scouting"
              >
              > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
              > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
              > guests of the troop."

              My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
              APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
              camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

              In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
              There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
              spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
              person on hand at all times.

              So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
              committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
              for it.

              Ida Lively
              - Juniata Valley Council
            • ed5870@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
                In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                Ilively@... writes:

                So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
                Council Camping
                committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
                youth, and go
                for it.

                I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
                Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

                Ed Harvey
                Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                I used to be an Antelope
                Hudson Valley Council