Re: OWL Training Question

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7 12:26 PM
      Not unless your District or Council has such a rule. BSA only
      requires somebody to have completed Youth Protection Training to take
      a Webelos Den Camping.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bobbinbobwhite"
      <bobbinbobwhite@...> wrote:

      > I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
      > OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
      > was a council or district camp that the training was not required
      but
      > that it is recommended.
      >
      > Let me know,
      > Debby Dickson

    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7 1:28 PM
        > ... asking me if she is required to have
        > OWL training before going to the district
        > camporee.

        OWL, or whatever the acronym of choice these days may
        be, is only required for the Webelos Leader Training
        Award.

        It's a good idea to have the course, and to implement
        with one's lads what is taught in the training course,
        but it isn't a mandatory course prior to camping with
        a Webelos Den.

        When I enjoyed the course, a few moons back, it was a
        really fun weekend, and on top of everything else, it
        introduced me to 'Uncle' Larry and to Sandi, two
        really awesome Scouters from different corners of my
        council. I like them, cause they make me seem almost
        sedate. 8^)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kent Wolfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7 1:38 PM
          There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
          At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
          plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
          they justify it.

          Kent Wolfe

          <bobbinbobwhite@...> wrote:

          > I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
          > OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
          > was a council or district camp that the training was not required
          but
          > that it is recommended.
          >
          > Let me know,
          > Debby Dickson

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7 7:48 PM
            I believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
            overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.
            In the past, WEBELOS Dens might go to a camporee, as long as there was
            one "parent" for each Scout attending. They were allowed to do the Boy
            Scout stuff at the outing that Cubs could do - no ax or knife usage -
            but not actually compete with the Boy Scouts.

            Since many Scouts come from one parent family, other Scouters
            could be designated a "parent" for the camp out, and then it seemed as
            if less people were supervising more Cubs and the process devolved to my
            statement in the first paragraph.

            Dave

            Kent Wolfe wrote:
            > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
            > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
            > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
            > they justify it.
            >
            > Kent Wolfe

            ADC & BS Training Chair
            Historic District
            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

            245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
          • ed5870@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8 2:23 AM
              In a message dated 4/7/2006 10:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

              > believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
              > overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.

              No, they may visit as I understand it but not participate in the activities.
              You are correct they may not stay overnight.

            • Kent Wolfe
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 10 8:42 AM
                I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

                Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                Boy Scouting"

                Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                guests of the troop."

                From

                Kent Wolfe

                Kent Wolfe wrote:
                > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
                > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                how
                > they justify it.
                >
                > Kent Wolfe

                ADC & BS Training Chair
                Historic District
                Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Kathy
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 10 10:57 AM
                  We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
                  It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
                  Kat

                  =====================

                  Kent Wolfe wrote:
                  > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                  > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
                  > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                  how
                  > they justify it.
                  >
                  > Kent Wolfe

                  Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                  ADC & BS Training Chair
                  Historic District
                  Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                  245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                   Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
                • Ida Lively
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10 11:04 AM
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

                    > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
                    >
                    > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                    > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                    > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                    > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                    > Boy Scouting"
                    >
                    > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                    > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                    > guests of the troop."

                    My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
                    APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
                    camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

                    In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
                    There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
                    spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
                    person on hand at all times.

                    So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
                    committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
                    for it.

                    Ida Lively
                    - Juniata Valley Council
                  • ed5870@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 12 10:50 PM
                      In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      Ilively@... writes:

                      So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
                      Council Camping
                      committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
                      youth, and go
                      for it.

                      I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
                      Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

                      Ed Harvey
                      Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                      Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                      I used to be an Antelope
                      Hudson Valley Council