Re: OWL Training Question

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
      Not unless your District or Council has such a rule. BSA only
      requires somebody to have completed Youth Protection Training to take
      a Webelos Den Camping.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bobbinbobwhite"

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
          > ... asking me if she is required to have
          > OWL training before going to the district
          > camporee.

          OWL, or whatever the acronym of choice these days may
          be, is only required for the Webelos Leader Training
          Award.

          It's a good idea to have the course, and to implement
          with one's lads what is taught in the training course,
          but it isn't a mandatory course prior to camping with
          a Webelos Den.

          When I enjoyed the course, a few moons back, it was a
          really fun weekend, and on top of everything else, it
          introduced me to 'Uncle' Larry and to Sandi, two
          really awesome Scouters from different corners of my
          council. I like them, cause they make me seem almost
          sedate. 8^)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Kent Wolfe
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
            There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
            At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
            plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
            they justify it.

            Kent Wolfe

            <bobbinbobwhite@...> wrote:

            > I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
            > OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
            > was a council or district camp that the training was not required
            but
            > that it is recommended.
            >
            > Let me know,
            > Debby Dickson

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dave Loomis
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
              I believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
              overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.
              In the past, WEBELOS Dens might go to a camporee, as long as there was
              one "parent" for each Scout attending. They were allowed to do the Boy
              Scout stuff at the outing that Cubs could do - no ax or knife usage -
              but not actually compete with the Boy Scouts.

              Since many Scouts come from one parent family, other Scouters
              could be designated a "parent" for the camp out, and then it seemed as
              if less people were supervising more Cubs and the process devolved to my
              statement in the first paragraph.

              Dave

              Kent Wolfe wrote:
              > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
              > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
              > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
              > they justify it.
              >
              > Kent Wolfe

              ADC & BS Training Chair
              Historic District
              Daniel Webster Council, BSA

              245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
            • ed5870@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
                In a message dated 4/7/2006 10:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

                > believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
                > overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.

                No, they may visit as I understand it but not participate in the activities.
                You are correct they may not stay overnight.

              • Kent Wolfe
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
                  I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

                  Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                  "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                  not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                  part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                  Boy Scouting"

                  Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                  "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                  guests of the troop."

                  From

                  Kent Wolfe

                  Kent Wolfe wrote:
                  > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                  > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
                  > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                  how
                  > they justify it.
                  >
                  > Kent Wolfe

                  ADC & BS Training Chair
                  Historic District
                  Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                  245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Kathy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
                    We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
                    It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
                    Kat

                    =====================

                    Kent Wolfe wrote:
                    > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                    > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
                    > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                    how
                    > they justify it.
                    >
                    > Kent Wolfe

                    Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                    ADC & BS Training Chair
                    Historic District
                    Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                    245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                     Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
                  • Ida Lively
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

                      > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
                      >
                      > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                      > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                      > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                      > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                      > Boy Scouting"
                      >
                      > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                      > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                      > guests of the troop."

                      My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
                      APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
                      camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

                      In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
                      There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
                      spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
                      person on hand at all times.

                      So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
                      committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
                      for it.

                      Ida Lively
                      - Juniata Valley Council
                    • ed5870@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
                        In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        Ilively@... writes:

                        So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
                        Council Camping
                        committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
                        youth, and go
                        for it.

                        I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
                        Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

                        Ed Harvey
                        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                        Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                        I used to be an Antelope
                        Hudson Valley Council