OWL Training Question

  • bobbinbobwhite
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7 12:08 PM
      I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
      OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
      was a council or district camp that the training was not required but
      that it is recommended.

      Let me know,
      Debby Dickson
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7 12:26 PM
        Not unless your District or Council has such a rule. BSA only
        requires somebody to have completed Youth Protection Training to take
        a Webelos Den Camping.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bobbinbobwhite"

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7 12:30 PM
          OWL is not needed for any type of camping to be honest. It is strongly recommended before a leader takes a Webelos den camping. And for a district function when alot of the work may already be done (as far as program and food) it is not really needed.....

          bobbinbobwhite <bobbinbobwhite@...> wrote: I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
          OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
          was a council or district camp that the training was not required but
          that it is recommended.

          connie

        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7 1:28 PM
            > ... asking me if she is required to have
            > OWL training before going to the district
            > camporee.

            OWL, or whatever the acronym of choice these days may
            be, is only required for the Webelos Leader Training
            Award.

            It's a good idea to have the course, and to implement
            with one's lads what is taught in the training course,
            but it isn't a mandatory course prior to camping with
            a Webelos Den.

            When I enjoyed the course, a few moons back, it was a
            really fun weekend, and on top of everything else, it
            introduced me to 'Uncle' Larry and to Sandi, two
            really awesome Scouters from different corners of my
            council. I like them, cause they make me seem almost
            sedate. 8^)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Kent Wolfe
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7 1:38 PM
              There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
              At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
              plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
              they justify it.

              Kent Wolfe

              <bobbinbobwhite@...> wrote:

              > I have a new Webelos den leader asking me if she is required to have
              > OWL training before going to the district camporee. I thought if it
              > was a council or district camp that the training was not required
              but
              > that it is recommended.
              >
              > Let me know,
              > Debby Dickson

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7 7:48 PM
                I believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
                overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.
                In the past, WEBELOS Dens might go to a camporee, as long as there was
                one "parent" for each Scout attending. They were allowed to do the Boy
                Scout stuff at the outing that Cubs could do - no ax or knife usage -
                but not actually compete with the Boy Scouts.

                Since many Scouts come from one parent family, other Scouters
                could be designated a "parent" for the camp out, and then it seemed as
                if less people were supervising more Cubs and the process devolved to my
                statement in the first paragraph.

                Dave

                Kent Wolfe wrote:
                > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
                > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be how
                > they justify it.
                >
                > Kent Wolfe

                ADC & BS Training Chair
                Historic District
                Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
              • ed5870@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8 2:23 AM
                  In a message dated 4/7/2006 10:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

                  > believe that WEBELOS may only visit Camporees, not stay
                  > overnight, and only when there are separate activities for the WEBELOS.

                  No, they may visit as I understand it but not participate in the activities.
                  You are correct they may not stay overnight.

                • Kent Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10 8:42 AM
                    I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.

                    Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                    "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                    not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                    part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                    Boy Scouting"

                    Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                    "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                    guests of the troop."

                    From

                    Kent Wolfe

                    Kent Wolfe wrote:
                    > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                    > At least that's what I remember the literature saying. Some districts
                    > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                    how
                    > they justify it.
                    >
                    > Kent Wolfe

                    ADC & BS Training Chair
                    Historic District
                    Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                    245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Kathy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 10 10:57 AM
                      We do our Fall Camporee "AND" Webelos together!
                      It's just planed for the same weekend at the same camp ground. Yes we do run Webelos station.
                      Kat

                      =====================

                      Kent Wolfe wrote:
                      > There are also many who have said Webelos are to NOT got to camporees.
                      > At least that's what I remember the literature saying.  Some districts
                      > plan camporees with activities geared toward Webelos, which must be
                      how
                      > they justify it.
                      >
                      > Kent Wolfe

                      Dave Loomis        mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                      ADC & BS Training Chair
                      Historic District
                      Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                      245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                      Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                       Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t">scouter_t</a>" on the web.
                    • Ida Lively
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 10 11:04 AM
                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

                        > I found verbiage to that effect in the OLSWL materials.
                        >
                        > Under Webelos Scout Outdoor Program:
                        > "Webelos Scouts may visit camporees or other Boy Scout events but may
                        > not compete or stay overnight. If a den is invited, plan to visit for
                        > part of the day so the Webelos Scouts get a taste of the cool things in
                        > Boy Scouting"
                        >
                        > Under Webelos-to-Scout Transition Plan:
                        > "Visiting a camporee or district/council Boy Scout event as daytime
                        > guests of the troop."

                        My council (read: your mileage may vary) has decided that as long as there are AGE
                        APPROPRIATE ACTIVITIES staffed by SEPARATE STAFFS, the Webelos are allowed to join the
                        camporee, and spend the night -- following Webelos rules for camping.

                        In fact, this spring at our Council Camporee -- we've invited ENTIRE PACKS to join us.
                        There's separate age appropriate activities for the Cub Scouts who join us. The Packs may
                        spend the night as long as they follow proper procedures and have a BALOO trained
                        person on hand at all times.

                        So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your Council Camping
                        committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the youth, and go
                        for it.

                        Ida Lively
                        - Juniata Valley Council
                      • ed5870@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 12 10:50 PM
                          In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          Ilively@... writes:

                          So, if you *REALLY* want your younger Scouts to attend - talk to your
                          Council Camping
                          committee, be prepared to make a commitment to provide activities for the
                          youth, and go
                          for it.

                          I agree totally as a district we have run a joint camporee for both Boy
                          Scouts and Cub scouts. Same theme but different activities.

                          Ed Harvey
                          Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                          Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                          I used to be an Antelope
                          Hudson Valley Council