Archery Training Manual

  • ChadCCooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 2:30 PM
      All,

      I've just posted a V1.0 of a training guide that the Northern Star
      Council shooting sports committee has developed to improve the quality
      and consistency of our training of archery range officers. We have
      taken the 2-hour course and expanded it to 4, adding a practical
      section to give the candidates real time to become familiar with the
      range and a chance to practice bringing a group of boys on-range for
      the first time. This is 98% BSA curriculum with 2% NAA. We haven't
      reinvented the wheel. We've taken poorly structured content and
      re-presented it in a more professional way.

      I don't know if other councils have a shooting sports committee. Ours
      is a subsidiary of our camping committee that also bridges into our
      camp facilities and council activities. We do interface work with
      other organizations that promote youth shooting sports involvement,
      fundraise for facilities and equipment, develop standards and
      policies, provide training, and support council and district events.

      While I am the document creator, this has been a colaborative work
      involving contributions and review from a few of our council members
      (Thank you Jamie!). If you have thoughts or input, I am always
      receptive to consideration.

      Since this is just V1.0, I anticipate updating this once or twice more
      in the next 6 months or so.

      - Chad
      Troop 293, Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
      Apple Valley, MN
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 3:15 PM
        Is it alright if we forward it onto our shooting sports folks??

        ChadCCooper <chadc@...> wrote: All,

        I've just posted a V1.0 of a training guide that the Northern Star
        Council shooting sports committee has developed to improve the quality
        and consistency of our training of archery range officers.

        connie

      • Chad C. Cooper
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 4:55 PM
          Yes, I have approval to share (or I wouldn't have posted it). Our plan
          is to fine-tune it over a couple courses and send it on to National as a
          suggested direction.

          - Chad

          P.S. There is a similar version of BB gun range officer training in the
          works a little bit farther behind.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 5:06 PM
            Thanks,
            Now I can only hope that our staff is as dedicated as yours..........looking forward to the BB Gun one.......thank you for taking the time to create such a good resource.....

            Connie Knie wrote:

            > Is it alright if we forward it onto our shooting sports folks??
            >
            > ChadCCooper wrote: All,
            >
            > I've just posted a V1.0 of a training guide that the Northern Star
            > Council shooting sports committee has developed to improve the quality
            > and consistency of our training of archery range officers.
            >
            > connie
            >
            > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

            > Service .

            connie