Re: New Units of Supplemental Training

  • Steven R. Crawford
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
      Are you curious as to where these new units of supplemental training are
      coming from? Some of them are the results of the Developing
      Supplemental Training Courses session at the Philmont Training Center.

      I had the honor to attend the session last year and I found it to be a
      wonderful experience. At the time, there could be no promises that
      units of training would be published in the way that it is being done,
      but I am glad that this has happened. Those of us in the very first
      session worked hard and had resources and expertise available to use
      that most volunteers do not have easy access to.

      I direct my council's University of Scouting, so this has been a
      wonderful resource for me and the faculty of the UofS. If you are in a
      similar position where you find yourself creating supplemental training
      sessions, I recommend going to this year's offering the week of June
      4-10, 2006.

      For more information:
      http://www.scouting.org/philmont/ptc/courses/courses.cgi?c=Developing+Supplemental+Training+Courses

      Steven R. Crawford
      srcrawford@... <mailto:srcrawford@...>
    • stevenpwestdg
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2006
        Did anyone here go this year? I'm curious what topic they chose.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Steven R. Crawford"

      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2006
          In a message dated 7/8/06 3:33:00 PM, stevenpwest@... writes:

          > Did anyone here go this year? I'm curious what topic they chose

          Hello Steven,

          The way that the course works is that the participants break up into 2-3
          person teams and they can choose whatever topics they wish. First, topics are
          suggested by the participants and from a list supplied by the National
          Council. Then, the list is winnowed down by the participantsto those that will
          be developed.

          The topics that the participants selected were:

          1) Making your life easier - the boy led Troop
          2) Recruiting and building a district training team

          We hope that these will appear eventually on the National web site.

          "Developing Supplemental Training" will be given again next summer at
          Philmont Training Center and I hope that many of the listmembers here might consider
          participating or encouraging other leaders and trainers from your area to
          participate.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Gerry Moon
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2006
            I just got back from my first trip to Philmont. I took "Training Cub
            Scout Leaders". Had I caught the "Developing Supplemental Training"
            class, I most certainly would have taken that one. Well, that's
            going to have to become a goal for next year, that's all...

            Gerry Moon
            Orlando, FL

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "stevenpwestdg" <stevenpwest@...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2006
              In a message dated 7/9/06 8:29:39 PM, gerrymoon32817@... writes:

              > I just got back from my first trip to Philmont. I took "Training Cub
              > Scout Leaders". Had I caught the "Developing Supplemental Training"
              > class, I most certainly would have taken that one. Well, that's
              > going to have to become a goal for next year, that's all...
              >
              > Gerry Moon
              > Orlando, FL

              Hello Gerry,

              Developing Supplemental Training is only offered once each summer at PTC.
              Next year, it is offered from June 3 though June 9.

              Hope you can be there.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • stevenpwestdg
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2006
                Thanks. So, if I really, really wanted to do "Disc Golf to Support
                Scouting" (and got a couple of other people to come with me) I could
                be fairly sure that's what I would do? If so, I'll mark my 2007
                calendar.

                Steve
              • NeilLup@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                  In a message dated 7/11/06 7:33:59 AM, stevenpwest@... writes:

                  > Thanks. So, if I really, really wanted to do "Disc Golf to Support
                  > Scouting" (and got a couple of other people to come with me) I could
                  > be fairly sure that's what I would do? If so, I'll mark my 2007
                  > calendar.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  In either 2005 or 2006, is a few people wanted to do "Disc Golf to Support
                  Scouting", that Unit of Supplemental Training would have been developed.
                  Mark your 2007 calendar. I hope you can be there.

                  Best wishes,

                  Neil Lupton

                • Ida Lively
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                    > Developing Supplemental Training is only offered once each summer at PTC.
                    > Next year, it is offered from June 3 though June 9.

                    Neil,

                    Do you have the full 2007 PTC Schedule? I'd like to see what other courses are offered.

                    Ida
                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                      In a message dated 7/11/06 10:30:49 AM, Ilively@... writes:

                      > Neil,
                      >
                      > Do you have the full 2007 PTC Schedule? I'd like to see what other courses
                      > are offered.
                      >
                      > Ida

                      I went to Google and put in "Philmont Training Center 2007 Schedule" and the
                      entire schedule came up.

                      Neil

                    • NeilLup@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 16, 2006
                        There are a couple of new units of supplemental training that are on the
                        National web site.

                        Go to www.scouting.org Then hit the icon for Boy Scouting >>adult leaders>>
                        training and support>>supplemental training

                        The new units are:

                        1) Recruiting Quality Training Staff
                        2) Promotional power point presentation "National Advanced Youth Leadership
                        Experience (NAYLE)"

                        Best wishes,

                        Neil Lupton