Fwd: OFF TOPIC: Scam/Fraud Warning (US Only)

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      Fellow Scouters:

      Most of you know that I don't forward much "junk". When I do,
      it's something that I feel important enough that it should be

      Please believe me when I tell you that this was not posted here
      lightly. There has been some considerable thought and discussion.

      There is a fraud scam running since last August that is
      particularly worrisome.

      My cousin works as a paralegal, and recently sent this out to her
      friends and relatives. Since then, 2 of them have forwarded it on
      to me. I have also checked the Snopes page myself, and encourage
      you to do the same.. They rate this as "Real fraud, potential for
      financial harm unknown." That line is in bold red on their page.

      In order to both save bandwidth and reduce the nuisance factor, I
      have edited this as much as I can without removing the particulars
      of the scam. I apologize in advance to anyone who feels that this
      should not be posted via this list.

      From: Barbara
      Date: 2006/03/27 Mon PM 10:11:47 EST
      Subject: Fwd: FW: Jury Duty Scam

      My office manager received the following from a friend ... they
      routinely get bulletins from the FBI and other law enforcement
      agencies relating to identity theft ... I checked on snopes .com
      and it sounds legitimate:

      Below is some information on Jury Duty Scams to share ... as you
      feel appropriate. [snip] There is more information on the website
      www.fbi.gov in the section on the left hand side labeled “Be Crime
      Smart”, then click “More Protections”.

      Jury Duty Scam
      [You receive a phone call that you've missed jury duty, and
      threatens you with arrest. You're asked for personal information.]
      Should you receive such a call, do not give out any personal
      information. Tell the person you will call the County Clerk's
      Office and verify whether you were subpoenaed. Check with the
      County Clerk’s office of the county where you live.
      [In my area, there are 4-5 different jury possibilities, so keep
      that possibility in mind.]

      JURY DUTY SCAM Please pass this on to others.

      Most of us take those summons for jury duty seriously, but enough
      people skip out ... that a new and ominous kind of scam has
      surfaced ... your identity could be stolen, reports CBS.

      In this con, someone calls pretending to be a court official who
      threateningly says a warrant has been issued for your arrest
      because you didn't show up for jury duty. The caller claims to be
      a jury coordinator.

      If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty,
      the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of
      birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the
      arrest warrant. Sometimes they even ask for credit card numbers.
      Give out any of this information and bingo! Your identity just got

      This scam is particularly insidious because they use intimidation
      over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by
      pretending they're with the court system. The FBI and the federal
      court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites,
      warning consumers about the fraud.

      [I don't know why the different court systems don't send out
      postcards to their jury pool list to let poeple know about this.]

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      -- Stephen R. Covey