RE: SUSPECT SPAM: Re: [Scouter_T] New Units of Supplemental Train ing

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2006
      Russ,
      Telling someone off in front of a large crowd certainly does not
      fit the Scout law. I am a father of a son who was classified one
      level below ADD. He took ritalin to help him concentrate. And
      yes, lucky for me he was not hyperactive. I have seen dens with
      a few hyperactive kids and I have felt sorry for the leaders because
      I know it is difficult. It seems to me that the commissioner was
      expressing a feeling to you on the hardness of your task.
      As a CSRT staff member I ran a discussion on my experiences with
      classified boys and had a leader come up to me later to thank me
      for sharing, since she was in the same boat herself with her son.
      My question is why the parents of that boy didn't volunteer at the
      start as a co-leader, or offer to help out, or explain the problem
      and how it could be handled. Training should help but unfortunately
      not everyone is up to handling 'problem' children and that doesn't make
      them bad people. My eldest daughter is a special ed teacher and my
      other daughter used to work with autistic children, God bless them
      and others who can do what they do, but don't condemn others for
      not being able to do this.

      Peter Mullaney

      The Pack that kicked him out was run by one of my family members. I take
      great PRIDE in telling him every chance I get how great this kid is.
      The unit Commissioner that told me he felt sorry for me... I promptly
      told him in front of a large crowd what a selfish, short-sighted idiot
      he was. I also informed him that this boys parents are now a Den Leader,
      Treasurer, Committee chair, and Popcorn chair. For some reason this Unit
      Commissioner is no longer with us.
      The paid professional who told me he wouldn't put up with this boy... He
      got an ear full. I reminded him that those of us who _*volunteer*_ in
      Scouting do it for the boys, not for the money. Since I volunteer on the
      District level in several positions I asked him if maybe he wanted me to
      step down so he could fill those positions with other people who think
      the way he does. He soon apologized to me. I respected that.

      See Scouting is not just for the boys who are easy to work with.
      Scouting is for every boy. I guess you can say the same thing about life
      though can't you?

      My hat is off to National for this presentation, however like many other
      topics they have a long way to go on this subject.

      Russ Gordon
      Proud Dad
      Cubmaster, Pack 42
      RT Commissioner, Timucua Dist.
      Asst. Training Chair, Timucua Dist.
      Web Master, Timucua Dist.
      "A good old Fox too"
      Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your
      Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend.