Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 1261

  • edward michelin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2006
      I know I'm going to get slammed by the purist among us. If you are a new ASM and the SM handed you the job. The first question or task you should do is corner the SM -- show him the new TLT and ask him how to does he want to precede. If your SPL and other Jr. Leadership are brand new or near new it would be advisable to put off the training until they got a little experience and coaching from the SM,older scouts or more experienced ASM or TCM's. This may give you time to work on the Visions and Goals with the SM.
      In my experience with training and coaching youth (between 13,through16 y/o) they,re not really ready for all the team management -planning - conflict resolution glop BSA has come up with. At that age youth are going through so many changes like phyiscal, metal growth, educational and sports changes - Peer pressure. With all that going on it might be better to do some observations of the SPL and PLC on specfic tasks and situations.
      Things like how they perform now when conflict occurs or how good have they planned their campouts or projects. Who really has those leadership - organizational skills your trying to develop. TLT requires that your JL ( SPL) should do a lot of the training - if he's inexperience you maybe setting him and the PLC up for failure. Why not let him review the TLT and ask questions or try scenarios etc. With coaching from you and the SM you may be able to bring him up to speed where he has less a chance for failure (at his speed).
      Finally, since you've reviewed the old JTL and the TLT you may see spots where the TLT needs some help or where you may want to incorporate some of the old into the new for more revelance or just plain fun ( fun can cause scouts to learn). DON'T be afraid to add to the TLT if you feel it's going to help (boy am I going to catch heck from the purist). BSA seems to be talioring the new courses more to a corporate world than a scout world.
      From what you've written we seem to be on the same page on a few of the areas of concern. Anyway that's my nickel and I'm sticking to it.
      E Michelin

      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Troop Leadership Training
      From: "Fred Goodwin, CMA"
      2. Re: Troop Leadership Training
      From: Ann Puckett
      3. Re: New Units of Supplemental Training
      From: Scouter Chuck

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:14:16 -0800 (PST)
      From: "Fred Goodwin, CMA"
      Subject: Troop Leadership Training

      I'm a first-year ASM (my son crossed in March a year ago). Each of the
      "new-Scout" dads is expected to find an area where he can help
      contribute to the Troop, and I volunteered to help with youth training.
      Basically, my predecessor handed me a box of JLT binders and some
      Powerpoint files (the JLT video is missing but we think we know where
      it is).

      Anyway, I had heard about TLT replacing JLT, so I used some Troop funds
      to buy a copy, and was amazed at how "light" it is, compared to the old
      JLT. Now, I've never taught either one, so I have no pre-conceived
      notions as to which is better. There's a new syllabus, I'm assigned
      the training duties, so I decided to go with the new course -- a clean
      break from both the old instructor and the old course.

      Well, I must say, I'm not exactly sure what I've gotten myself into.
      As I read the TLT syllabus, there is theoretically much interaction,
      coaching, visioning and joint-goal-setting between the SPL and SM, with
      the intent that the SPL would train his PLs by conducting the three
      modules of TLT himself.

      I guess I'm not sure where an ASM-trainer fits into this picture.
      Since I'm training the new PLC tomorrow morning (we had troop elections
      last Monday), I've had to make a few adjustments to the syllabus, which
      I know is a "no-no" per BSA training policy.

      But since I'm obviously not the SM, I can hardly sit down and do joint
      visioning & goal-setting with the SPL (for example). But since the SM
      will be in attendance, I intend to ask them to do separate vision
      statements, then compare and reconcile them.

      Next, since the SM did not train the new SPL in advance of TLT, I will
      be training the SPL and PLs all at the same time (as well as all other
      appointed positions). I know this isn't optimal, but this is the
      assignment I was given.

      Do any other Troops do their TLT training this way? I.e., led by an
      ASM and done in one big session, rather than SM training the SPL first,
      then SPL training the other boys, etc.?

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:24:56 -0800 (PST)
      From: Ann Puckett
      Subject: Re: Troop Leadership Training

      NO, our SM does the JLT or "TLT" training, our council
      also offers a weekend JLT training in the Spring. I
      think it would be OK if it was jointly planned by the
      ASM and SM, that way the ASM understands what is going
      on within the Troop but it should be lead by the SM,
      with the ASM in attendance, at least this training
      anyhow.

      --- "Fred Goodwin, CMA"

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 3:46:51 -0500
      From: Scouter Chuck
      Subject: Re: New Units of Supplemental Training

      Neil Lupton wrote...

      [snip]
      > 2) Scouting for youth with ADD/ADHD (this is a Power Point
      > presentation).

      Is this the one that was done by Three Fires Council?

      Also, this is a much needed course, as this is something that
      every leader will have to deal with at some time, and it is a
      very misunderstood problem.

      I'm actually surprised that it's not yet one of the "Special
      Scouting Programs" pamphlets.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey