Re: Cub Leader Specific Training

  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      David Harris asked the question: Our council is
      trying to develop a single syllabus that incorporates
      all the Cub Leader Specific units and eliminates the
      redundancies. Has anyone out there already done this?
      If so would you be willing to share?

      David Harris
      Great Rivers Council Training Committee

      David, et al., We have been looking at the same thing.
      It seems silly to me to have a den leader come to
      training as a Tiger Den Leader, Wolf/Bear Den Leader
      and Webelos Den Leader when the material covered is
      significantly redundant (and uses the SAME video tape
      to support all three). As such we have developed a
      way to handle this. We've developed two major
      sessions, one for Den Leaders and one for
      Cubmasters/Pack Committee members. They are as
      follows:

      1. Den Leader Split –

      During the 2 hours and 10 minutes, cover – (Don’t
      forget to take a 5 min break somewhere)

      Boy Behavior
      Boy involvement in Code of Conduct/Consequences
      Reward good vs punish bad
      We cannot solve your behavior issues
      Uniforming – Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, Female
      Leaders, Male Leaders, Brag vests
      Advancement (Emphasis on age appropriate) – Tiger,
      Wolf, Bear, Webelos
      Supplemental Awards (Sports & Academics, World
      Conservation, others)
      Planning (Emphasis on age appropriate)
      Den Meetings (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos)
      Den role at Pack Meeting
      Outdoor Program (Emphasis on age appropriate)
      Outdoor Code
      LNT
      Outdoor Activities, Games, Hikes, etc.
      Field Trips
      Camping (Pack Overnighters, Webelos Camping)
      Resources
      BSA Literature
      Governmental Agencies
      People
      Craft display
      Denner/Den Chief
      Finances
      Other Training (Don’t forget Philmont)
      Inspirational/Motivational comments

      2. Pack Leader Split – (Don’t forget to take a 5 min
      break somewhere)

      During the 2 hours, 10 minutes, cover –
      Pack Organization review
      Role of Cubmaster, Assistant
      Role of Committee
      Job Descriptions
      Annual Planning Meeting
      Uniforming Overview –
      Why uniforms?
      Uniform closets
      Male Leader
      Female Leader
      Advancement Program overview
      Cubmaster role
      Advancement Chair
      Record Keeping (PackMaster or paper)
      Securing awards
      Presenting Awards
      Pack Program Planning –
      Role of CM and Committee
      Importance
      Annual Planning Meeting
      Resources
      Elements of Good Pack Meeting
      Summertime Program
      Outdoor Program
      Finances –
      Rules and Regs
      Ideas
      Uniform or not?
      Den Chief –
      Who and how secured
      Other Training (Don’t forget Philmont)
      Inspirational/Motivational comments

      The base for each of these is the syllabus for the
      included areas, and a reasonably talented trainer can
      quite handily ensure all the material in the syllabus
      is covered.

      I hope this helps.

      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
      Kaw District Training Chairman,
      CM P3001, SA T366, NRA Life Member
      |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
      I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
      And a good old staffer too (C-34-04)

      Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

      http://mail.yahoo.com