Re: [Scouter_T] Camp Director Question

  • Ken Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
      Tom Burke asked:
      > A non-denominational Christian Camp for special needs children that
      > my Venturing Crew has been going to for the past 3 years to serve
      > has an opening for a camp director. I have been nominated to the
      > camp founders as a candidate for the position. What materials do
      > you know of that would be helpful to a new camp director?

      Tom,
      There's an interesting aspect to your post:
      ->"camp for special needs children"

      I don't know your background in this area, nor the camp director's
      responsibilities. I also don't know the specific "special needs" of these
      campers. The term has far ranging use. It covers physical limitations
      (limited mobility, sight, hearing) along with mental/learning impairment
      (ADHD, autism, Down's, and everything in between).

      Speaking from personal experience, you will discover these campers have
      unique and/or special needs you may not have dealt with in the Army or
      Scouts (thus the term!). It's hard to describe specifics, as each special
      needs child is different. I will assume the camp already accommodates
      physical limitations. Things to anticipate for those w/ mental/learning
      challenges:
      -atypical behaviors
      -challenging speech patterns (or difficult enunciation)
      -reduced or limited self-help skills (eating, hygiene, etc)
      -unusual food allergies, habits and/or preferences
      -unusual or challenging night time habits
      -lots of different medications

      If you don't have experience w/ special needs campers, I suggest you get
      some training. It will help you understand the camper's challenges and
      work their parents.

      Good luck! This can be a very rewarding opportunity to serve and learn.

      -Ken
    • Thomas Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
        I have served at this camp for the past 5 years working with 3 of the different sessions of campers. The Camp organizes its weeks so that the campers all share similiar difficulties. Some of the special needs are: Visually Impaired/ Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Oncology, Burn Patients Chronic Illnesses (i.e., Diabetes, Asthma, etc.)/ Down's Syndrome - Autism/ Multiple Medical Disorders - Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, and Cerebral Palsy. My wife is a pediatrician, so I do have a built in provider of information. The camp functions with two Physicians and at least 4 nurses at every session to care for the medical needs of the kids.

        Thanks for the thoughts.

        Tom Burke