Cub Leader Specific training

  • David Harris
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
      Question: Our council is trying to develop a single
      syllabus that incorporates all the Cub Leader Specific
      units and eliminates the redundancies. Has anyone out
      there already done this? If so would you be willing
      to share?

      David Harris
      Great Rivers Council Training Committee

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
        In other words, You're reinventing the old Cub Leader Training?
        Why not use that syllabus?

        Dave

        David Harris wrote:
        > Question: Our council is trying to develop a single
        > syllabus that incorporates all the Cub Leader Specific
        > units and eliminates the redundancies. Has anyone out
        > there already done this? If so would you be willing
        > to share?
        >
        > David Harris
        > Great Rivers Council Training Committee

        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
      • Sandra Martens
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
          This doesn't completely do it, but we show the videos together as a joint session (ususally with NLE) and then the splits only deal with their level. I also do the "uniform game" as a joint session so all the leaders can see the uniform continuium and how it changes rank to rank.

          Sandy OWL

          David Harris <scouter_134@...> wrote:
          Question: Our council is trying to develop a single
          syllabus that incorporates all the Cub Leader Specific
          units and eliminates the redundancies. Has anyone out
          there already done this? If so would you be willing
          to share?

          David Harris
          Great Rivers Council Training Committee

          Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

          ---------------------------------

        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
            actually, that is what some of our trainers do. The pack leader/cub master split is done using the old syllabus because more things are covered- including paper work, fund raising, etc, that aren't covered very well in the new one.

            Sandy OWL

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
              The National Supply Service has included pictures of correctly
              uniformed Scouts in all of the programs, in their Scout Supplies
              catalog, so this makes a great example/resource for this section of the
              lesson plans.

              Dave

              Sandra Martens wrote:
              > This doesn't completely do it, but we show the videos together as a joint session (ususally with NLE) and then the splits only deal with their level. I also do the "uniform game" as a joint session so all the leaders can see the uniform continuium and how it changes rank to rank.
              >
              > Sandy OWL

              245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349
            • richard pennington
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
                My district is trying to have a one day covering all cub leader trianing,
                eliminating the thigns that are also redundant in the difference modules. I
                liek this idea, now if we can do it with the scout training, we can train
                all leaders in two days plu the Baloo and OWLS, and the Outdorr leader
                skills and then its wood badge.

                David Harris wrote:
                > Question: Our council is trying to develop a single
                > syllabus that incorporates all the Cub Leader Specific
                > units and eliminates the redundancies. Has anyone out
                > there already done this? If so would you be willing
                > to share?
                >
                > David Harris
                > Great Rivers Council Training Committee

                245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                program for restaurant
                Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                Service.

              • Sandra Martens
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
                  that's true, but the way I do it with the "uniform game" makes it interactive- the participants put all the parts on the uniform, and learn from each other too. It is also more fun than looking at a bunch of pictures.

                  Sandra Martens wrote:
                  > This doesn't completely do it, but we show the videos together as a joint session (ususally with NLE) and then the splits only deal with their level. I also do the "uniform game" as a joint session so all the leaders can see the uniform continuium and how it changes rank to rank.
                  >
                  > Sandy OWL

                  245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                  Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                  ---------------------------------

                • Frank Maynard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, David Harris wrote:

                    > Our council is trying to develop a single syllabus that incorporates
                    > all the Cub Leader Specific units and eliminates the redundancies.
                    > Has anyone out there already done this?

                    Using the slides for the Den Leader track as a base, I built a
                    presentation where I interspersed appropriate slides from the other
                    tracks. For example, when talking about leadership skills for the den
                    leader, I included the leadership skills slides from the TL, WL, CM and
                    Committee presentations at that point.

                    I like this idea because, as others have mentioned, it gives everyone a
                    look at the differences and similarities in all the positions and doesn't
                    take up any more time. We hold a plenary session up until after the
                    Outdoor Program paragraph of Den and Pack Program Planning, then go to
                    breakouts by position. For each breakout I've printed the slides and put
                    them in a flip binder so the instructor can use them if desired.

                    Since my instructors, while they follow the syllabus, tend to "talk
                    around" the slides rather than follow them point by point, we haven't had
                    a chance to use the combined slides in class yet, but we probably will for
                    a March training. It's 3.7 MB long (application/x-ms-ppt) so if you'd like
                    a copy, e-mail me off the list and I'll send you a url.

                    On the subject of uniforming, we usually do a uniforming skit instead of
                    the uniform game in the syllabus. One of our staffers has a huge
                    collection of insignia, and one person comes rushing in wearing gobs of
                    patches in all the wrong places, one blue sock and one green sock, etc.
                    The instructor has a dialogue with him about the patches and corrects each
                    of the violations one by one, until the uniform is correct. With the
                    right people, it can be a real hoot, and I think it gets the message
                    across better than the paper doll approach.

                    Frank Maynard, NF8M
                    CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
                    ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                    Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council (10 Year Quality District)
                    Novi, Michigan
                  • Sandra Martens
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                      I've joined up the slides too- den leader with webelos, and then all 3 leaders (tiger included) combined. Sometimes we've had people show up with out signing up and there was no trainer scheduled (due to no sign up), so it comes in handy.

                      Sandy OWL

                      Frank Maynard <scouter@...> wrote:
                      On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, David Harris wrote:

                      > Our council is trying to develop a single syllabus that incorporates
                      > all the Cub Leader Specific units and eliminates the redundancies.
                      > Has anyone out there already done this?

                      Using the slides for the Den Leader track as a base, I built a
                      presentation where I interspersed appropriate slides from the other
                      tracks. For example, when talking about leadership skills for the den
                      leader, I included the leadership skills slides from the TL, WL, CM and
                      Committee presentations at that point.

                      I like this idea because, as others have mentioned, it gives everyone a
                      look at the differences and similarities in all the positions and doesn't
                      take up any more time. We hold a plenary session up until after the
                      Outdoor Program paragraph of Den and Pack Program Planning, then go to
                      breakouts by position. For each breakout I've printed the slides and put
                      them in a flip binder so the instructor can use them if desired.

                      Since my instructors, while they follow the syllabus, tend to "talk
                      around" the slides rather than follow them point by point, we haven't had
                      a chance to use the combined slides in class yet, but we probably will for
                      a March training. It's 3.7 MB long (application/x-ms-ppt) so if you'd like
                      a copy, e-mail me off the list and I'll send you a url.

                      On the subject of uniforming, we usually do a uniforming skit instead of
                      the uniform game in the syllabus. One of our staffers has a huge
                      collection of insignia, and one person comes rushing in wearing gobs of
                      patches in all the wrong places, one blue sock and one green sock, etc.
                      The instructor has a dialogue with him about the patches and corrects each
                      of the violations one by one, until the uniform is correct. With the
                      right people, it can be a real hoot, and I think it gets the message
                      across better than the paper doll approach.

                      Frank Maynard, NF8M
                      CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
                      ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                      Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council (10 Year Quality District)
                      Novi, Michigan

                      Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Geoffrey Mayer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                        David Harris wrote (Sat, 4 Feb 2006):

                        > Question: Our council is trying to develop a single
                        > syllabus that incorporates all the Cub Leader Specific
                        > units and eliminates the redundancies. Has anyone out
                        > there already done this? If so would you be willing
                        > to share?

                        I have done this. I had a .doc copy of the Cub Scout Leader Specific Training syllabus someone gave
                        me, and I went through the five syllabi in parallel and made one syllabus that covers everything
                        from all five separate syllabi. In the process I noted lots of typos and a number of errors in the
                        current syllabi. I've tried to correct these. I cape the same overall form if the general
                        syllabus, but include everything that is covered in each section by each syllabus. When it comes to
                        the mock planning session, I just put all five in there.

                        I also took the five PowerPoint presentations and combined all the slides into one presentation.

                        I have run classes this way for a couple of years. I like it. It's already difficult to get people
                        to come to training in our area. I think it's difficult to get them to come back and take another
                        training that's 75% (or so) the same. I also have a small training committee. Running the combined
                        training several times reaches a lot more people than running five separate classes. I also think
                        it's great for each leader to know what other leaders are responsible for, and I think it's great
                        for all kinds of Cub Scout leaders to be in training together.

                        I run a Saturday schedule with New Leader Essentials at 9:00, Cub Scout Leader Specific Combined at
                        11:15, and Youth Protection at 4:00. The combined class is around four hours long, though that's
                        partly because I talk a lot. When I'm done I give the students a completion card listing all five
                        positions. I give them all the

                        The syllabus is 35 pages and 514 KB. It does not include the Introduction, the Tips for Trainers,
                        and the handouts. The PowerPoint presentation has 32 slides and is 3.9 MB. I've zipped them
                        together and got a 3.6 MB .zip file.

                        I don't mind making this available, but someone else may need to upload this to the files section
                        for me (if there's room for 3.9 MB) or host it somewhere. I'd rather not e-mail lots of copies.

                        God bless!

                        Geoffrey Mayer