Re: Camp Director Question

  • Jay Oakman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
      my recommendation would be to go to a National Camping School for
      Camp administration, even a Cub Day Camp Administration session would
      be good.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Burke" <tburke57@...> wrote:

      > OK, This is a bit off subject. A non-denominational Christian Camp
      for special needs children that my Venturing Crew has been going to
      for the past 3 years to serve has an opening for a camp director. I
      have been nominated to the camp founders as a candidate for the
      position. What materials do you know of that would be helpful to a
      new camp director?

      > My 2 main frameworks are the Army, and the Boy Scouts. I love the
      BSA Safety considerations and program, and years of the Army have
      given me some administrative skills.

      > Thanks for your considerations and prayers,
      >
      > Tom Burke

    • Ken Walker
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
        Tom Burke asked:
        > A non-denominational Christian Camp for special needs children that
        > my Venturing Crew has been going to for the past 3 years to serve
        > has an opening for a camp director. I have been nominated to the
        > camp founders as a candidate for the position. What materials do
        > you know of that would be helpful to a new camp director?

        Tom,
        There's an interesting aspect to your post:
        ->"camp for special needs children"

        I don't know your background in this area, nor the camp director's
        responsibilities. I also don't know the specific "special needs" of these
        campers. The term has far ranging use. It covers physical limitations
        (limited mobility, sight, hearing) along with mental/learning impairment
        (ADHD, autism, Down's, and everything in between).

        Speaking from personal experience, you will discover these campers have
        unique and/or special needs you may not have dealt with in the Army or
        Scouts (thus the term!). It's hard to describe specifics, as each special
        needs child is different. I will assume the camp already accommodates
        physical limitations. Things to anticipate for those w/ mental/learning
        challenges:
        -atypical behaviors
        -challenging speech patterns (or difficult enunciation)
        -reduced or limited self-help skills (eating, hygiene, etc)
        -unusual food allergies, habits and/or preferences
        -unusual or challenging night time habits
        -lots of different medications

        If you don't have experience w/ special needs campers, I suggest you get
        some training. It will help you understand the camper's challenges and
        work their parents.

        Good luck! This can be a very rewarding opportunity to serve and learn.

        -Ken
      • Thomas Burke
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
          I have served at this camp for the past 5 years working with 3 of the different sessions of campers. The Camp organizes its weeks so that the campers all share similiar difficulties. Some of the special needs are: Visually Impaired/ Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Oncology, Burn Patients Chronic Illnesses (i.e., Diabetes, Asthma, etc.)/ Down's Syndrome - Autism/ Multiple Medical Disorders - Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, and Cerebral Palsy. My wife is a pediatrician, so I do have a built in provider of information. The camp functions with two Physicians and at least 4 nurses at every session to care for the medical needs of the kids.

          Thanks for the thoughts.

          Tom Burke