Camp Director Question

  • Thomas Burke
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3 8:06 AM
      OK, This is a bit off subject. A non-denominational Christian Camp for special needs children that my Venturing Crew has been going to for the past 3 years to serve has an opening for a camp director. I have been nominated to the camp founders as a candidate for the position. What materials do you know of that would be helpful to a new camp director?

      My 2 main frameworks are the Army, and the Boy Scouts. I love the BSA Safety considerations and program, and years of the Army have given me some administrative skills.

      Thanks for your considerations and prayers,

      Tom Burke

    • Jay Oakman
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3 11:35 AM
        my recommendation would be to go to a National Camping School for
        Camp administration, even a Cub Day Camp Administration session would
        be good.

      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3 11:48 AM
          I would suggest you contact the American Camp Association. They run training for camp staff:
          http://www.acacamps.org/education/calendar.php

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          P. 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District

        • Ken Walker
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6 7:06 AM
            Tom Burke asked:
            > A non-denominational Christian Camp for special needs children that
            > my Venturing Crew has been going to for the past 3 years to serve
            > has an opening for a camp director. I have been nominated to the
            > camp founders as a candidate for the position. What materials do
            > you know of that would be helpful to a new camp director?

            Tom,
            There's an interesting aspect to your post:
            ->"camp for special needs children"

            I don't know your background in this area, nor the camp director's
            responsibilities. I also don't know the specific "special needs" of these
            campers. The term has far ranging use. It covers physical limitations
            (limited mobility, sight, hearing) along with mental/learning impairment
            (ADHD, autism, Down's, and everything in between).

            Speaking from personal experience, you will discover these campers have
            unique and/or special needs you may not have dealt with in the Army or
            Scouts (thus the term!). It's hard to describe specifics, as each special
            needs child is different. I will assume the camp already accommodates
            physical limitations. Things to anticipate for those w/ mental/learning
            challenges:
            -atypical behaviors
            -challenging speech patterns (or difficult enunciation)
            -reduced or limited self-help skills (eating, hygiene, etc)
            -unusual food allergies, habits and/or preferences
            -unusual or challenging night time habits
            -lots of different medications

            If you don't have experience w/ special needs campers, I suggest you get
            some training. It will help you understand the camper's challenges and
            work their parents.

            Good luck! This can be a very rewarding opportunity to serve and learn.

            -Ken
          • Thomas Burke
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6 8:55 AM
              I have served at this camp for the past 5 years working with 3 of the different sessions of campers. The Camp organizes its weeks so that the campers all share similiar difficulties. Some of the special needs are: Visually Impaired/ Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Oncology, Burn Patients Chronic Illnesses (i.e., Diabetes, Asthma, etc.)/ Down's Syndrome - Autism/ Multiple Medical Disorders - Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, and Cerebral Palsy. My wife is a pediatrician, so I do have a built in provider of information. The camp functions with two Physicians and at least 4 nurses at every session to care for the medical needs of the kids.

              Thanks for the thoughts.

              Tom Burke