Re: [Scouter_T] Opinions on Ourdoor Training

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Judy,

      Over the years I think we have agreed more than we have disagreed,
      and that is scary sometimes. I think that I need someone to tell me
      honestly that I really put my foot into it this time.

      We did an SM/ASM specific a few years ago, and instead of doing
      hamburg, potatoes, and onions; tried a variation on Chicken Cordon
      Bleu. I had been in favor of wrapping the cheese and ham within the
      half chicken breast , but cooler heads prevailed and we diced the
      chicken, cheese, and ham, and put handfuls of the mix into the foil,
      after running the half breasts through a brief dip in boiling water, to
      stave off salmonella. We thought that dicing the chicken, and
      parboiling the outside of the halves before they were chopped would give
      the participants SOME protection against Chicken Cramps, if the chicken
      didn't get as thoroughly cooked as we might want, in the learner's
      eagerness to sample their food.

      The problem that I see, is that we don't have local compendiums of
      Scouting wisdom that the newer Scouters can tap, other than Round Table,
      and that is only an hour or so each month. We've cut the training time
      to the point where I don't see how we can cut it further, but in so
      doing, we eliminate a lot of the Cracker Barrel type discussions where
      the new folks can learn good tips for making scouting easier and more
      fun. I was a Scout many years ago when we barely did what most of
      today's Scouts do on a daily basis, and the reason we didn't have
      today's enrichments was that no one had thought of them,so they couldn't
      be passed on to others. We've lost several Old Time Scouters, who
      presented Extra Crispy Scouters programs for their Scouts, and I don't
      see a mechanism in place to transfer some of their knowledge on to the
      new folks so that it doesn't die out.

      Dave

      Judy Yeager wrote:
      > The Webelos can then visit Camporee and see the Boy Scouts cooking birds hung from a tripod, cooking in garbage cans, etc., etc., etc.
      >
      > Don't think any of our folks are "cooking" marshmallows and hot dogs on their campouts.
      >
      > Judy Yeager

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349