Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Opinions on Training

  • Thomas Burke
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      So Far my Council works the Baloo and IOLS on the same weekend. The OLS-WL
      does not happen yet, they count the IOLS course as equivalent. (I disagree
      here with that) One of the key shared aspects is the cooking demonstration.
      Instead of just how to do foil packs, the Baloo participants get exposed to
      Dutch Ovens (Dump Cakes), as well as a short demonstration of the other
      cooking methods. Having all the resources there at one time does seem to
      allow for maximizing the Trainer's efforts, even if it is a scheduling
      nightmare.

      Tom Burke
    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
        > Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:15:31 -0800 (PST)
        > From: David Gross <dc_gross@...>
        >
        > I do not understand the thinking behind a separate BALOO &
        > OLS-WL. Even after the re-work (warming?) of the OLS-WL
        > syllabus, it's really just "BALOO + a few Webelos rules +
        > the Outdoorsman Activity Award group".

        The BALOO syllabus specifically states that it should not be combined
        with other courses. Now, *why* it says that, I don't know. But as
        others have said, I think the differences in the audience and the
        purposes of the two trainings is sufficient justification for me to
        keep the courses separate.

        > We have not been able to make the suggestion in the syllabus
        > to combine with OLS work well because the rules for Boy
        > Scouts are so different, and the schedule/sessions are so
        > different.

        Our Council ran the two courses jointly last fall, and although there
        were some kinks to work out, they were a result of rolling out the new
        course, not so much because of combining it with IOLS. I think it will
        go more smoothly as we gain experience doing the new OLS-WL.

        > I think that's my main concern -- there is a LOT of
        > "education" in the current material, but very little
        > "training". The difference has been summarized as
        > "Education is concerned with the development of the
        > mind, of the intellect, while training deals with learning
        > specific skills."

        Hands-on can be done at Pow-Wow -- but our Council cancelled Pow-Wow
        due to lack of attendance. We are trying to make up the slack at our
        U. of Scouting.

        > 1) REQUIRE (yes, REQUIRE) Youth Protection for all
        > registered leaders.

        Agreed

        > 2) Add BALOO to the list of course required for Cub
        > Scouters to be trained, and eliminate OLS-WL.

        Disagree. BALOO is aimed at Scouters who are *not* den leaders or
        Cubmasters. And OLS-WL is aimed at a different audience and has a
        different purpose.

        > 3) Add more skill instruction to the courses.

        Not a bad idea -- what specifically did you have in mind? I think it
        would be quite boring to go over how to fill out a tour permit, for
        example. I know Tour Permits are mentioned in NLE, but I think the
        best way to learn how to do a Tour Permit is to jump in and fill one
        out.

        Fred Goodwin
        Keystone District Training Chair
        Alamo Area Council
      • Thomas Burke
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
          Our Baloo / IOLS weekend:
          The courses are held on the same weekend at the same location. The
          Baloo Course has it's staff, and IOLS has it's staff. The two courses only
          touch in that they are at the same scout camp on the same weekend, and we
          share the cooking demonstration. The camp Ranger does some demonstrations
          for each course (seperate audiences).

          I do not see this as combining courses. I do see it as maximizing our
          valuable resources - the adult leaders who are willing to serve as trainers.

          I am interested in my district putting on an Outdoor leaders skills for
          Webelos Leaders course in the spring, and a Baloo Course in the fall. Not
          that I am trying to take away from the Council Courses, but I want to get
          this training into the hands of our packs.

          Tom Burke