Re: [Scouter_T] Commissioner Training

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
      Your question is a bit like, "How long is a piece of string?" There
      are no other information on which to make the choice.

      If you are in a district with the ideal three units for each
      Commissioner, AND you happen to serve a pack, troop, and crew "owned" by
      the same organization, your time outlay will be less, than if you
      commission three units in different towns and programs or even the same
      program. Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
      meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
      commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
      Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
      eight meetings month.

      Since you Commission the units that will logically "graduate" Scouts
      to their troop or crew, you will have less time spent working with the
      troops and crews towards which, separate packs and troops will feed. If
      you Commission three packs, troops, or crews you learning curve will be
      shorter, since I expect Commissioners to take the Leader Specific
      Training for each program they Commission, and are not fully trained.
      You simply can't walk the walk if you can't talk the talk. However long
      term Scouters becoming Commissioners from Crews, usually already know
      enough about troop and pack operations that this training isn't as
      important to your success.

      If your district isn't well represented by Commissioners so that you
      either pile on more units, or see them less, your evening load is going
      to be heavier, until you get some more Commissioners. This is ONE
      reason why National rates councils, and council's rate districts on
      their unit/commissioner ratio, as this overly heavy Commissioner load
      can burn Commissioners out very quickly.

      And hard as it may be to believe, Commissioning a unit from which you
      came is just asking for problems. No matter how well regarded you were
      in your unit, when you try to work it as one of your units, you'll still
      be regarded as good old Bruce, or Bruce from the troop, not Bruce who's
      come to us to help us run a better program for the Scouts. This is the
      major reason why most folks frown on Commissioning a unit were you used
      to serve.

      So, how long is your piece of string. You have committed yourself to
      eight monthly meetings, plus any additional training you need to get up
      to speed on the programs with which you are the least familiar. In Cub
      Scouting, that takes at least one whole day to get NLE, Fast Start, and
      Cubmaster training. If there is time and the breakout sessions permit
      it you could also squeeze in one of the Den Leader Training sessions.
      Boy Scout Leader Essentials take at least a night, a day, and a weekend
      to become Scoutmaster trained, and another night if you also take Troop
      Committee Challenges. Venturing is the easy one, only one day, although
      Powder Horn Training is a lot of fun.

      This gives you some idea of what it takes to become well enough versed
      in your programs to be effective. This is all in addition to either two
      evenings or an entire weekend day at Commissioner Training. I list the
      one day option although it doesn't give you actual practice in visiting
      a unit meeting with another Commissioner to practice working with and
      determining what, if any, problems the unit may be experiencing.

      Generally District Commissioners feel you out a bit, and won't lumber
      you with too many units until you get up to speed with the job, but
      often your boss won't have any choice in the matter. If s/he has 45
      units, and ten Commissioners, to carry the load, someone is going to
      have to monitor additional units until things get better, or give the
      more capable units less help for a bit.

      Dave
      ADC & BS Training Chair
      Historic District
      Daniel Webster Council, BSA

      Scouter Chuck wrote:
      > Don Wilson wrote (an extended description of the UC position).
      >
      > The next question is, what is the time commitment? 2-3 nights a
      > week? 5 nights a week? 7 days a week?
      >

      > YiS,
      >
      > Chuck Bramlet

      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • NeilLup@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
        In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

        > Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
        > meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe.  This
        > commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
        > Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month.  So
        > eight meetings month.

        With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
        Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
        Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
        district/council didn't trust me.

        If we have expectations like that for every Unit Commissioner, we won't
        have many Unit Commissioners.

        Oh, that's right, we don't have many Unit Commissioners :)

        I stand by my earlier estimate as a minimum acceptable for doing the job.
        One meaningful contact with the unit each month (meeting, campout, phone
        call, etc.) and one meeting. One can do more and may decide to do more.
        But I'd much rather have a full Commissioner's staff doing that rather than
        only have the small number of people doing what you specified.

        Best wishes,

        Neil Lupton

      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
          You're right. I should have said a unit OR committee meeting each month.

          Thanks,

          Dave

          NeilLup@... wrote:
          > In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:
          >

          >>Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
          >>meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
          >>commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
          >>Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
          >>eight meetings month.
          >>

          > With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
          > Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
          > Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
          > district/council didn't trust me.
          >

          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Neil Lupton

          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • John Halter
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
            Actually, if you have three units, you could realistically visit a
            committee meeting and unit meeting each month and still only be visiting
            each unit once a quarter.

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            Pack Trainer