Re: Combining OWL & BALOO

  • Fred Goodwin, CMA
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
      > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
      > From: <brant@...>
      >
      > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
      > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
      > & schedule??

      If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
      Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
      other training.

      > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
      > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

      Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
      Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
      but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
      IOLS.

      In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
      on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
      for IOLS.

      Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
      Keystone District, Alamo Area Council
    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
        I have a combined syllabus and time line. Will email this evening. have a pinewood derby to run.

        Sandy OWL

        "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...> wrote:
        > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
        > From: <brant@...>
        >
        > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
        > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
        > & schedule??

        If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
        Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
        other training.

        > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
        > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

        Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
        Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
        but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
        IOLS.

        In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
        on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
        for IOLS.

        Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
        Keystone District, Alamo Area Council

        Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

        ---------------------------------

      • R Fisher
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
          Having been involved in our Council's first Joint Presentation of
          Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leaders and Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills
          for Boy Scout Leaders, I think I agree. Although the topics have the
          same title, the focus is entirely different in most cases. OSWL is more
          for training Leaders, IOLS is more for training Leaders to train boys.
          The timing is all messed up, and one of the biggest drawbacks I see is a
          Webelos leader who thinks he doesn't need to attend IOLS because s/he
          already did it in Webelos.

          If you do combine the two as suggested in the syllabus, I might think it
          would be better to mirror (i.e. IOLS in the morning and OSWL in the
          afternoon) to the extent practicable.

          YiS

          Roy Fisher

          > [mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joyce Gaddis
          > Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: Combining OWL & BALOO
          >

          > I am in the process of combining the new OWL and IOLS. What a
          > pain!!! You almost need two seperate staffs. It is like putting two
          > courses on at the same time and same place. Seems to me to be
          > another one of BSA's half-baked "Let's try this" schemes!!!
        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
            this is how we do our joint BALOO/OWL. We do not do the Webelos Transition portion of the new syllabus- we do that at Roundtable so all Webelos leaders get it, not just those at OWL

            BALOO / OWL TIMELINE

            BALOO ACTIVITY TIME FRAME OWL ACTIVITY
            Opening 09:00-09:20 Opening
            09:20-10:00 Webelos Activities/H&S
            Aims/Purposes, videos 09:20-0930
            Planning/Program 9:30-11:00
            10:00-10:10 Break
            10:10-10:50 Round Robin ½
            10:50-11:45 Round Robin ¾
            Health and Safety 11:00-11:45
            Lunch 11:45-12:15 Lunch
            Activities (discuss games/hikes) 12:15-13:30 Activities
            Blind Tent Relay 13:30-14:00 Blind Tent Relay
            Fire Building 14:00-14:15 Fire Building
            Round Robin J1/2 14:15-15:15 Round Robin J1/2
            Round Robin J3/4 15:15-16:00 Round Robin J3/4
            Flag Ceremony 16:00-16:20 Flag Ceremony
            Campfire Preparation (dens) 16:20-17:00 Campfire Preparation (dens)
            Dinner 17:00-18:00 Dinner
            Campfire/Closing 18:00-19:00 Campfire/Closing

            Round Robin 1/2 Round Robin 3/4 Round Robin J1/2 Round Robin J3/4
            Naturalist Knots Cooking/Sanitation First Aid
            Forester Geologist Campsite/Bedding Campfire Prep (class)

            BALOO Activities OWL Activities (1 hr 15 min) (1 hr 15 min)

            wiggle worm hunt scavenger hunt
            hug a tree fire starters
            nature critter bug cages
            blind tent relay blind tent relay
            break geodes

            You'll notice we have activities during the afternoon period. I know this extends the time for BALOO, but it goes so quickly and the participants get to actually have fun and do some possible activities that can be done with their packs. We also have this time for Webelos activities instead of trying to teach and do an activity in the 20 minutes they allow. Outdoorsman is not covered separately. We coordinate so that it is covered completely in the other sessions. Participants learn knife safety and earn their "whittling chit" during campsite selection and bedding. This activity period also serves a second purpose. If sessions run late (due to questions and discussion) we have a buffer zone. The time spent on activities is just shortened.