Re: [Scouter_T] Commissioner Training

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
      Your offer of assistance will be well recieved! I am a UC and love it. We just held a Commissioner training last weekend. There is also Commissioner College. Find out who your District Commissioner is and they can tell you when the next training is.

      richard pennington <rpenning@...> wrote: What type of training is required for this position. I do not think that
      the pack and troop at our church have anyone as a commissioner. I am
      interested in maybe see about filling this need. Richard Pennington

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      connie

    • truane1148@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
        Having been a Unit and Council Commissioner your offer would really be
        appreciated as Commissioners are hard to find.

        You may check the following link to get an idea of what the training and
        duties are. It is a great resource for all commissioners.
        _http://www.netcommish.com/_ (http://www.netcommish.com/)

        Tom Ruane
        Baden-Powell Council

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
          Hi, Richard,

          The first training that a Unit Commissioner receives is, like every
          other position, Fast Start, and should be presented "within 48 hors
          of taking the position." Yeah, right.

          There there is Commissioner Basic Training. This training us
          generally at council level and takes one day or two evenings. Basis
          is just that, a fairly quick overview of requirements as a
          Commissioner and explanations of the various resources that a
          Commissioner has, or supplies.

          Commissioner College is generally a full day, and may be presented to
          Commissioners of more than one council. Our College, scheduled next
          week, is presented to Commissioners of three councils, and the
          location rotates each year.

          For the new commissioner, the first year is the Bachelor program,
          extended presentations of subjects touched on during Basic, which may
          include 5 to 7 presentations. The second year is Master's level
          (again 5-7 presentations) and then comes Doctorate, which may require
          two years to complete. For the Doctorate, the first year is used for
          selection of a project to be completed over the year to the next
          College, where each candidate presents their project and results.

          Post Doctoral Seminars are provided at each College to keep
          Commissioners sharp and to share information.

          As with positions in Scouting, advancement is recognized. The first
          would be the Arrowhead Honor, which can be earned within the first
          year as an active Commissioner. Indeed, the Arrowhead Honor is
          usually a requirement for completing the Master's degree.

          Commissioner's Key can be earned by completing 3 years as a
          registered Commissioner within a 5-year period plus other training
          requirements. The Commissioner Key is a prerequisite for earning the
          Doctor of Commissioner Science.

          There are other recognitions are Distinguished Unit Commissioner,
          Distinguished District Commissioner, and Distinguished Council
          Commissioner.

          That is likely overkill for your question, but I did not have
          anything to do for a few minutes.

          There is one thing that should be emphasized. Unit Commissioners
          report to the District Commissioner, and acts on instruction from the
          District Commissioner. This is important, as the unit leaders must
          know that the Commissioner is there to help, not spy. Problems occur
          then other district leaders decide that they can place requirements
          on Commissioners.

          Hope that helps.

          Don Wilson
          Unit Commissioner (13 years)
          District Commissioner (5 years)
          Assistant District Commissioner for Recharter (present)
          OHC 427
        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
            Not to overkill seriously the question but there are excellent sessions on
            Commissioner Service at Philmont Training Center.

            I would also comment that, like with many Scouting jobs, initial training
            likely comes by personal coaching by the Asst. Dist. Comm'r or the District
            Commissioner. One likely will not need to or want to wait until the next
            official training.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • Scouter Chuck
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
              Don Wilson wrote (an extended description of the UC position).

              The next question is, what is the time commitment? 2-3 nights a
              week? 5 nights a week? 7 days a week?

              This is also important, as these positions can eat time like
              Godzilla eats cars. How much time is one expected to spend doing
              this job?

              When I was a young Boy Scout back in the late 50's and early
              60s', my father was a "Neighborhood Commissioner". He was told
              that if you had one night a month at home with your family, you
              didn't have enough to do.

              I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
              time commitment is one thing I've been worried about.

              I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
              District Committee Member at Large
              -- Stephen R. Covey
            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                In a message dated 1/22/06 5:51:32 PM, antelope95@... writes:

                > I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
                > time commitment is one thing I've been worried about

                In my opinion, the great thing about being a unit commissioner is that you
                largely can control your own time.

                First, you can decide how many units you will take. If you take one,
                then the time is (surprise) about one third of the time if you take three.

                Second, your responsibility is to make one meaningful contact with each
                unit each month. That could be visiting a meeting, visiting a committee
                meeting, having a good phone conversation with the unit leader, meeting the
                unit leader at a roundtable, camporee or Pow Wow, etc. It could even be an
                exchange of e-mails.

                In my opinion, the job of Unit Commissioner is much like that of a first
                aider or even a ski patroller. You check often enough to make sure everything
                is OK or if there is a problem, Should you find a problem, if you wish
                and you have the skill and interest, you address it. Otherwise, you
                call for help from the appropriate source.

                As far as time, under normal conditions, I would say 1-2 hours per
                month for each unit that you take plus one evening per month for a Commissioner's
                meeting, roundtable, etc. When things get bad, it can take more.
                On one occasion, I spent some time each day for two weeks on a unit when they
                were having a spat between the committee and the unit leader. But that is
                unusual.

                Unit Commissioner can be an extremely rewarding job and really doesn't take
                that much time. We have all heard unit leaders say "I've never seen a
                Commissioner." That is probably because there weren't enough people willing to
                serve.

                I hope that you will give Commissioner Service a shot. It is good fun and
                very rewarding.

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • McQuaid Family
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                  Well, hello!
                  I bet you already go to RoundTable, so that's not an additional meeting for you. And if you can convince a unit that you cover to car pool, well, that is a chance to check in with the unit. Don't forget stopping by when they are camping and your unit is too! That's another chance to meet up.

                  Neil is quite right. When he trained me as a District Commissioner, we talked at great length about ways to "visit" units. I was very lucky in that the Unit Commissioners I recruited LOVED the latitude I gave them, and were dedicated to visiting their units. One commissioner confessed she liked her Cub Pack visits, as it gave her even MORE ideas to share.

                  Please, consider doing even just 1 unit. Your fellow volunteers will thank you!

                  I thank you!

                  Yours in Scouting.
                  Marian McQuaid
                  Assistant District Commissioner
                  Great Blue Hill District
                  Boston Minuteman Council
                  > I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
                  > time commitment is one thing I've been worried about

                  In my opinion, the great thing about being a unit commissioner is that you
                  largely can control your own time.

                  First, you can decide how many units you will take. If you take one,
                  then the time is (surprise) about one third of the time if you take three.

                  Second, your responsibility is to make one meaningful contact with each
                  unit each month. That could be visiting a meeting, visiting a committee
                  meeting, having a good phone conversation with the unit leader, meeting the
                  unit leader at a roundtable, camporee or Pow Wow, etc. It could even be an
                  exchange of e-mails.

                  In my opinion, the job of Unit Commissioner is much like that of a first
                  aider or even a ski patroller. You check often enough to make sure everything
                  is OK or if there is a problem, Should you find a problem, if you wish
                  and you have the skill and interest, you address it. Otherwise, you
                  call for help from the appropriate source.

                  As far as time, under normal conditions, I would say 1-2 hours per
                  month for each unit that you take plus one evening per month for a Commissioner's
                  meeting, roundtable, etc. When things get bad, it can take more.
                  On one occasion, I spent some time each day for two weeks on a unit when they
                  were having a spat between the committee and the unit leader. But that is
                  unusual.

                  Unit Commissioner can be an extremely rewarding job and really doesn't take
                  that much time. We have all heard unit leaders say "I've never seen a
                  Commissioner." That is probably because there weren't enough people willing to
                  serve.

                  I hope that you will give Commissioner Service a shot. It is good fun and
                  very rewarding.

                  Best wishes,

                  Neil Lupton

                  Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                • Don Wilson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                    Without a doubt, Scouting is a sponge that will suck up every drop of
                    energy one puts forth yet the sponge is always dry, asking for more.

                    By the book, a Unit Commissioner is assigned three units. Also by
                    the book, there is an Assistant District Commissioner for each three
                    Unit Commissioners. I need to meet the guy that wrote the book.
                    There are never enough active trained Commissioners, so we do the
                    best we can.

                    As a District Commissioner, I asked the Unit Commissioners to make
                    direct contact with the leaders of their assigned units at least
                    monthly, and to make at least one unit visit each quarter. This
                    would be the minimum requirements, and likely units would have enough
                    problems to need more contact. The monthly contact could be a phone
                    call or a few quick words at a roundtable. The idea is to show
                    interest, but not smother. Nothing makes a unit leader more nervous
                    is to have a Unit Commissioner hovering around all the time.

                    Unit Commissioners serving Cub Scout pack generally get the summer
                    of, but must make up for the vacation during Roundup. Commissioners
                    serving Troops and Crews might have some free time in the summer
                    while their units are at summer camp. But that is a great
                    opportunity for unit service, and I asked Unit Commissioners to visit
                    with their units in camp. It is good to be able to have a unit visit
                    away from the usual meeting place.

                    The largest effort on the part of Unit Commissioners is for
                    recharter. Our council uses a 120 day recharter program, starting
                    with an extensive unit inventory and survey. Unit Commissioners will
                    be busy to insure that units recharter and as many as possible
                    complete that recharter as Quality Units.

                    So, the question of commitment as a Unit Commissioner is reasonable.
                    The problem is that most Unit Commissioners wear more than one hat.
                    As a Scoutmaster, I served as Unit Commissioner to Cub Scout units.
                    And seeing that I had one night home a month, I also served as
                    District Training Chair. And still the sponge was dry.

                    Don Wilson
                    OHC 427
                  • R Fisher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                      I don't think I read if you are currently "wearing other hats". That
                      would make difference to me. But I will say this in all honesty; the
                      time commitment for a Unit Commissioner is probably the closest to the
                      legendary "one hour a week" that I'm aware of. But if that one hour is
                      one that you have to give up something else for, then you are the only
                      one that can say if its worth it.

                      YiS

                      Roy Fisher
                    • Scouter Chuck
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                        Roy Fisher wrote...

                        > I don't think I read if you are currently "wearing other hats". That
                        > would make difference to me.

                        I am currently a "Member at Large" for the District Committee.

                        I also attend RT, and used to be on the RT staff -- until someone
                        decided they wanted "new blood".

                        I do not serve directly with a unit, nor do I have any other
                        position in the District. I do help with occasional training
                        as requested (and qualified).

                        Hope this helps...

                        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                        District Committee Member at Large
                        -- Stephen R. Covey
                      • Dave Loomis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                          Your question is a bit like, "How long is a piece of string?" There
                          are no other information on which to make the choice.

                          If you are in a district with the ideal three units for each
                          Commissioner, AND you happen to serve a pack, troop, and crew "owned" by
                          the same organization, your time outlay will be less, than if you
                          commission three units in different towns and programs or even the same
                          program. Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                          meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
                          commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                          Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
                          eight meetings month.

                          Since you Commission the units that will logically "graduate" Scouts
                          to their troop or crew, you will have less time spent working with the
                          troops and crews towards which, separate packs and troops will feed. If
                          you Commission three packs, troops, or crews you learning curve will be
                          shorter, since I expect Commissioners to take the Leader Specific
                          Training for each program they Commission, and are not fully trained.
                          You simply can't walk the walk if you can't talk the talk. However long
                          term Scouters becoming Commissioners from Crews, usually already know
                          enough about troop and pack operations that this training isn't as
                          important to your success.

                          If your district isn't well represented by Commissioners so that you
                          either pile on more units, or see them less, your evening load is going
                          to be heavier, until you get some more Commissioners. This is ONE
                          reason why National rates councils, and council's rate districts on
                          their unit/commissioner ratio, as this overly heavy Commissioner load
                          can burn Commissioners out very quickly.

                          And hard as it may be to believe, Commissioning a unit from which you
                          came is just asking for problems. No matter how well regarded you were
                          in your unit, when you try to work it as one of your units, you'll still
                          be regarded as good old Bruce, or Bruce from the troop, not Bruce who's
                          come to us to help us run a better program for the Scouts. This is the
                          major reason why most folks frown on Commissioning a unit were you used
                          to serve.

                          So, how long is your piece of string. You have committed yourself to
                          eight monthly meetings, plus any additional training you need to get up
                          to speed on the programs with which you are the least familiar. In Cub
                          Scouting, that takes at least one whole day to get NLE, Fast Start, and
                          Cubmaster training. If there is time and the breakout sessions permit
                          it you could also squeeze in one of the Den Leader Training sessions.
                          Boy Scout Leader Essentials take at least a night, a day, and a weekend
                          to become Scoutmaster trained, and another night if you also take Troop
                          Committee Challenges. Venturing is the easy one, only one day, although
                          Powder Horn Training is a lot of fun.

                          This gives you some idea of what it takes to become well enough versed
                          in your programs to be effective. This is all in addition to either two
                          evenings or an entire weekend day at Commissioner Training. I list the
                          one day option although it doesn't give you actual practice in visiting
                          a unit meeting with another Commissioner to practice working with and
                          determining what, if any, problems the unit may be experiencing.

                          Generally District Commissioners feel you out a bit, and won't lumber
                          you with too many units until you get up to speed with the job, but
                          often your boss won't have any choice in the matter. If s/he has 45
                          units, and ten Commissioners, to carry the load, someone is going to
                          have to monitor additional units until things get better, or give the
                          more capable units less help for a bit.

                          Dave
                          ADC & BS Training Chair
                          Historic District
                          Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                          Scouter Chuck wrote:
                          > Don Wilson wrote (an extended description of the UC position).
                          >
                          > The next question is, what is the time commitment? 2-3 nights a
                          > week? 5 nights a week? 7 days a week?
                          >

                          > YiS,
                          >
                          > Chuck Bramlet

                          To reply, click on the address below.

                          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                        • NeilLup@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
                            In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

                            > Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                            > meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe.  This
                            > commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                            > Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month.  So
                            > eight meetings month.

                            With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
                            Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
                            Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
                            district/council didn't trust me.

                            If we have expectations like that for every Unit Commissioner, we won't
                            have many Unit Commissioners.

                            Oh, that's right, we don't have many Unit Commissioners :)

                            I stand by my earlier estimate as a minimum acceptable for doing the job.
                            One meaningful contact with the unit each month (meeting, campout, phone
                            call, etc.) and one meeting. One can do more and may decide to do more.
                            But I'd much rather have a full Commissioner's staff doing that rather than
                            only have the small number of people doing what you specified.

                            Best wishes,

                            Neil Lupton

                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
                              You're right. I should have said a unit OR committee meeting each month.

                              Thanks,

                              Dave

                              NeilLup@... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:
                              >

                              >>Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                              >>meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
                              >>commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                              >>Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
                              >>eight meetings month.
                              >>

                              > With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
                              > Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
                              > Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
                              > district/council didn't trust me.
                              >

                              > Best wishes,
                              >
                              > Neil Lupton

                              To reply, click on the address below.

                              245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                              Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                            • John Halter
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                                Actually, if you have three units, you could realistically visit a
                                committee meeting and unit meeting each month and still only be visiting
                                each unit once a quarter.

                                Thank you,

                                John Halter
                                Pack Trainer