Commissioner Training

  • richard pennington
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
      What type of training is required for this position. I do not think that
      the pack and troop at our church have anyone as a commissioner. I am
      interested in maybe see about filling this need. Richard Pennington
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
        Your offer of assistance will be well recieved! I am a UC and love it. We just held a Commissioner training last weekend. There is also Commissioner College. Find out who your District Commissioner is and they can tell you when the next training is.

        richard pennington <rpenning@...> wrote: What type of training is required for this position. I do not think that
        the pack and troop at our church have anyone as a commissioner. I am
        interested in maybe see about filling this need. Richard Pennington

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        connie

      • truane1148@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
          Having been a Unit and Council Commissioner your offer would really be
          appreciated as Commissioners are hard to find.

          You may check the following link to get an idea of what the training and
          duties are. It is a great resource for all commissioners.
          _http://www.netcommish.com/_ (http://www.netcommish.com/)

          Tom Ruane
          Baden-Powell Council

        • Don Wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
            Hi, Richard,

            The first training that a Unit Commissioner receives is, like every
            other position, Fast Start, and should be presented "within 48 hors
            of taking the position." Yeah, right.

            There there is Commissioner Basic Training. This training us
            generally at council level and takes one day or two evenings. Basis
            is just that, a fairly quick overview of requirements as a
            Commissioner and explanations of the various resources that a
            Commissioner has, or supplies.

            Commissioner College is generally a full day, and may be presented to
            Commissioners of more than one council. Our College, scheduled next
            week, is presented to Commissioners of three councils, and the
            location rotates each year.

            For the new commissioner, the first year is the Bachelor program,
            extended presentations of subjects touched on during Basic, which may
            include 5 to 7 presentations. The second year is Master's level
            (again 5-7 presentations) and then comes Doctorate, which may require
            two years to complete. For the Doctorate, the first year is used for
            selection of a project to be completed over the year to the next
            College, where each candidate presents their project and results.

            Post Doctoral Seminars are provided at each College to keep
            Commissioners sharp and to share information.

            As with positions in Scouting, advancement is recognized. The first
            would be the Arrowhead Honor, which can be earned within the first
            year as an active Commissioner. Indeed, the Arrowhead Honor is
            usually a requirement for completing the Master's degree.

            Commissioner's Key can be earned by completing 3 years as a
            registered Commissioner within a 5-year period plus other training
            requirements. The Commissioner Key is a prerequisite for earning the
            Doctor of Commissioner Science.

            There are other recognitions are Distinguished Unit Commissioner,
            Distinguished District Commissioner, and Distinguished Council
            Commissioner.

            That is likely overkill for your question, but I did not have
            anything to do for a few minutes.

            There is one thing that should be emphasized. Unit Commissioners
            report to the District Commissioner, and acts on instruction from the
            District Commissioner. This is important, as the unit leaders must
            know that the Commissioner is there to help, not spy. Problems occur
            then other district leaders decide that they can place requirements
            on Commissioners.

            Hope that helps.

            Don Wilson
            Unit Commissioner (13 years)
            District Commissioner (5 years)
            Assistant District Commissioner for Recharter (present)
            OHC 427
          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
              Not to overkill seriously the question but there are excellent sessions on
              Commissioner Service at Philmont Training Center.

              I would also comment that, like with many Scouting jobs, initial training
              likely comes by personal coaching by the Asst. Dist. Comm'r or the District
              Commissioner. One likely will not need to or want to wait until the next
              official training.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • Scouter Chuck
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                Don Wilson wrote (an extended description of the UC position).

                The next question is, what is the time commitment? 2-3 nights a
                week? 5 nights a week? 7 days a week?

                This is also important, as these positions can eat time like
                Godzilla eats cars. How much time is one expected to spend doing
                this job?

                When I was a young Boy Scout back in the late 50's and early
                60s', my father was a "Neighborhood Commissioner". He was told
                that if you had one night a month at home with your family, you
                didn't have enough to do.

                I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
                time commitment is one thing I've been worried about.

                I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                District Committee Member at Large
                -- Stephen R. Covey
              • NeilLup@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                  In a message dated 1/22/06 5:51:32 PM, antelope95@... writes:

                  > I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
                  > time commitment is one thing I've been worried about

                  In my opinion, the great thing about being a unit commissioner is that you
                  largely can control your own time.

                  First, you can decide how many units you will take. If you take one,
                  then the time is (surprise) about one third of the time if you take three.

                  Second, your responsibility is to make one meaningful contact with each
                  unit each month. That could be visiting a meeting, visiting a committee
                  meeting, having a good phone conversation with the unit leader, meeting the
                  unit leader at a roundtable, camporee or Pow Wow, etc. It could even be an
                  exchange of e-mails.

                  In my opinion, the job of Unit Commissioner is much like that of a first
                  aider or even a ski patroller. You check often enough to make sure everything
                  is OK or if there is a problem, Should you find a problem, if you wish
                  and you have the skill and interest, you address it. Otherwise, you
                  call for help from the appropriate source.

                  As far as time, under normal conditions, I would say 1-2 hours per
                  month for each unit that you take plus one evening per month for a Commissioner's
                  meeting, roundtable, etc. When things get bad, it can take more.
                  On one occasion, I spent some time each day for two weeks on a unit when they
                  were having a spat between the committee and the unit leader. But that is
                  unusual.

                  Unit Commissioner can be an extremely rewarding job and really doesn't take
                  that much time. We have all heard unit leaders say "I've never seen a
                  Commissioner." That is probably because there weren't enough people willing to
                  serve.

                  I hope that you will give Commissioner Service a shot. It is good fun and
                  very rewarding.

                  Best wishes,

                  Neil Lupton

                • McQuaid Family
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                    Well, hello!
                    I bet you already go to RoundTable, so that's not an additional meeting for you. And if you can convince a unit that you cover to car pool, well, that is a chance to check in with the unit. Don't forget stopping by when they are camping and your unit is too! That's another chance to meet up.

                    Neil is quite right. When he trained me as a District Commissioner, we talked at great length about ways to "visit" units. I was very lucky in that the Unit Commissioners I recruited LOVED the latitude I gave them, and were dedicated to visiting their units. One commissioner confessed she liked her Cub Pack visits, as it gave her even MORE ideas to share.

                    Please, consider doing even just 1 unit. Your fellow volunteers will thank you!

                    I thank you!

                    Yours in Scouting.
                    Marian McQuaid
                    Assistant District Commissioner
                    Great Blue Hill District
                    Boston Minuteman Council
                    > I have been considering volunteering to be a UC, but the extra
                    > time commitment is one thing I've been worried about

                    In my opinion, the great thing about being a unit commissioner is that you
                    largely can control your own time.

                    First, you can decide how many units you will take. If you take one,
                    then the time is (surprise) about one third of the time if you take three.

                    Second, your responsibility is to make one meaningful contact with each
                    unit each month. That could be visiting a meeting, visiting a committee
                    meeting, having a good phone conversation with the unit leader, meeting the
                    unit leader at a roundtable, camporee or Pow Wow, etc. It could even be an
                    exchange of e-mails.

                    In my opinion, the job of Unit Commissioner is much like that of a first
                    aider or even a ski patroller. You check often enough to make sure everything
                    is OK or if there is a problem, Should you find a problem, if you wish
                    and you have the skill and interest, you address it. Otherwise, you
                    call for help from the appropriate source.

                    As far as time, under normal conditions, I would say 1-2 hours per
                    month for each unit that you take plus one evening per month for a Commissioner's
                    meeting, roundtable, etc. When things get bad, it can take more.
                    On one occasion, I spent some time each day for two weeks on a unit when they
                    were having a spat between the committee and the unit leader. But that is
                    unusual.

                    Unit Commissioner can be an extremely rewarding job and really doesn't take
                    that much time. We have all heard unit leaders say "I've never seen a
                    Commissioner." That is probably because there weren't enough people willing to
                    serve.

                    I hope that you will give Commissioner Service a shot. It is good fun and
                    very rewarding.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton

                    Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                  • Don Wilson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                      Without a doubt, Scouting is a sponge that will suck up every drop of
                      energy one puts forth yet the sponge is always dry, asking for more.

                      By the book, a Unit Commissioner is assigned three units. Also by
                      the book, there is an Assistant District Commissioner for each three
                      Unit Commissioners. I need to meet the guy that wrote the book.
                      There are never enough active trained Commissioners, so we do the
                      best we can.

                      As a District Commissioner, I asked the Unit Commissioners to make
                      direct contact with the leaders of their assigned units at least
                      monthly, and to make at least one unit visit each quarter. This
                      would be the minimum requirements, and likely units would have enough
                      problems to need more contact. The monthly contact could be a phone
                      call or a few quick words at a roundtable. The idea is to show
                      interest, but not smother. Nothing makes a unit leader more nervous
                      is to have a Unit Commissioner hovering around all the time.

                      Unit Commissioners serving Cub Scout pack generally get the summer
                      of, but must make up for the vacation during Roundup. Commissioners
                      serving Troops and Crews might have some free time in the summer
                      while their units are at summer camp. But that is a great
                      opportunity for unit service, and I asked Unit Commissioners to visit
                      with their units in camp. It is good to be able to have a unit visit
                      away from the usual meeting place.

                      The largest effort on the part of Unit Commissioners is for
                      recharter. Our council uses a 120 day recharter program, starting
                      with an extensive unit inventory and survey. Unit Commissioners will
                      be busy to insure that units recharter and as many as possible
                      complete that recharter as Quality Units.

                      So, the question of commitment as a Unit Commissioner is reasonable.
                      The problem is that most Unit Commissioners wear more than one hat.
                      As a Scoutmaster, I served as Unit Commissioner to Cub Scout units.
                      And seeing that I had one night home a month, I also served as
                      District Training Chair. And still the sponge was dry.

                      Don Wilson
                      OHC 427
                    • R Fisher
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                        I don't think I read if you are currently "wearing other hats". That
                        would make difference to me. But I will say this in all honesty; the
                        time commitment for a Unit Commissioner is probably the closest to the
                        legendary "one hour a week" that I'm aware of. But if that one hour is
                        one that you have to give up something else for, then you are the only
                        one that can say if its worth it.

                        YiS

                        Roy Fisher
                      • Scouter Chuck
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                          Roy Fisher wrote...

                          > I don't think I read if you are currently "wearing other hats". That
                          > would make difference to me.

                          I am currently a "Member at Large" for the District Committee.

                          I also attend RT, and used to be on the RT staff -- until someone
                          decided they wanted "new blood".

                          I do not serve directly with a unit, nor do I have any other
                          position in the District. I do help with occasional training
                          as requested (and qualified).

                          Hope this helps...

                          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                          District Committee Member at Large
                          -- Stephen R. Covey
                        • Dave Loomis
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                            Your question is a bit like, "How long is a piece of string?" There
                            are no other information on which to make the choice.

                            If you are in a district with the ideal three units for each
                            Commissioner, AND you happen to serve a pack, troop, and crew "owned" by
                            the same organization, your time outlay will be less, than if you
                            commission three units in different towns and programs or even the same
                            program. Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                            meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
                            commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                            Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
                            eight meetings month.

                            Since you Commission the units that will logically "graduate" Scouts
                            to their troop or crew, you will have less time spent working with the
                            troops and crews towards which, separate packs and troops will feed. If
                            you Commission three packs, troops, or crews you learning curve will be
                            shorter, since I expect Commissioners to take the Leader Specific
                            Training for each program they Commission, and are not fully trained.
                            You simply can't walk the walk if you can't talk the talk. However long
                            term Scouters becoming Commissioners from Crews, usually already know
                            enough about troop and pack operations that this training isn't as
                            important to your success.

                            If your district isn't well represented by Commissioners so that you
                            either pile on more units, or see them less, your evening load is going
                            to be heavier, until you get some more Commissioners. This is ONE
                            reason why National rates councils, and council's rate districts on
                            their unit/commissioner ratio, as this overly heavy Commissioner load
                            can burn Commissioners out very quickly.

                            And hard as it may be to believe, Commissioning a unit from which you
                            came is just asking for problems. No matter how well regarded you were
                            in your unit, when you try to work it as one of your units, you'll still
                            be regarded as good old Bruce, or Bruce from the troop, not Bruce who's
                            come to us to help us run a better program for the Scouts. This is the
                            major reason why most folks frown on Commissioning a unit were you used
                            to serve.

                            So, how long is your piece of string. You have committed yourself to
                            eight monthly meetings, plus any additional training you need to get up
                            to speed on the programs with which you are the least familiar. In Cub
                            Scouting, that takes at least one whole day to get NLE, Fast Start, and
                            Cubmaster training. If there is time and the breakout sessions permit
                            it you could also squeeze in one of the Den Leader Training sessions.
                            Boy Scout Leader Essentials take at least a night, a day, and a weekend
                            to become Scoutmaster trained, and another night if you also take Troop
                            Committee Challenges. Venturing is the easy one, only one day, although
                            Powder Horn Training is a lot of fun.

                            This gives you some idea of what it takes to become well enough versed
                            in your programs to be effective. This is all in addition to either two
                            evenings or an entire weekend day at Commissioner Training. I list the
                            one day option although it doesn't give you actual practice in visiting
                            a unit meeting with another Commissioner to practice working with and
                            determining what, if any, problems the unit may be experiencing.

                            Generally District Commissioners feel you out a bit, and won't lumber
                            you with too many units until you get up to speed with the job, but
                            often your boss won't have any choice in the matter. If s/he has 45
                            units, and ten Commissioners, to carry the load, someone is going to
                            have to monitor additional units until things get better, or give the
                            more capable units less help for a bit.

                            Dave
                            ADC & BS Training Chair
                            Historic District
                            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                            Scouter Chuck wrote:
                            > Don Wilson wrote (an extended description of the UC position).
                            >
                            > The next question is, what is the time commitment? 2-3 nights a
                            > week? 5 nights a week? 7 days a week?
                            >

                            > YiS,
                            >
                            > Chuck Bramlet

                            To reply, click on the address below.

                            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                          • NeilLup@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
                              In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:

                              > Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                              > meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe.  This
                              > commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                              > Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month.  So
                              > eight meetings month.

                              With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
                              Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
                              Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
                              district/council didn't trust me.

                              If we have expectations like that for every Unit Commissioner, we won't
                              have many Unit Commissioners.

                              Oh, that's right, we don't have many Unit Commissioners :)

                              I stand by my earlier estimate as a minimum acceptable for doing the job.
                              One meaningful contact with the unit each month (meeting, campout, phone
                              call, etc.) and one meeting. One can do more and may decide to do more.
                              But I'd much rather have a full Commissioner's staff doing that rather than
                              only have the small number of people doing what you specified.

                              Best wishes,

                              Neil Lupton

                            • Dave Loomis
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 23, 2006
                                You're right. I should have said a unit OR committee meeting each month.

                                Thanks,

                                Dave

                                NeilLup@... wrote:
                                > In a message dated 1/23/06 12:31:27 AM, dloomis.nh.ultranet@... writes:
                                >

                                >>Ideally you should visit a unit's meeting and committee
                                >>meeting every month, and work on any problems that you observe. This
                                >>commits you to three committee meetings, three unit meetings, a
                                >>Commissioner meeting, and ideally a Round Table meeting each month. So
                                >>eight meetings month.
                                >>

                                > With respect, Dave, I believe this expectation is way over the top for a
                                > Unit Commissioner. In fact, if I were a committee member and the Unit
                                > Commissioner showed up every committee meeting, I'd wonder why the
                                > district/council didn't trust me.
                                >

                                > Best wishes,
                                >
                                > Neil Lupton

                                To reply, click on the address below.

                                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                              • John Halter
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                                  Actually, if you have three units, you could realistically visit a
                                  committee meeting and unit meeting each month and still only be visiting
                                  each unit once a quarter.

                                  Thank you,

                                  John Halter
                                  Pack Trainer