Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Combining OWL & BALOO

  • Sandra Martens
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
      the main problem I have with the combined OWL/IOLS courses is that the Webelos leaders then use and teach the Boy Scout skills in their Webelos dens. OWL is to give Bear and beginning Webelos leaders the skills to teach Webelos outdoor skills, not BS ones. That is why, because of staff shortage, we combine OWL and BALOO rather than OWL and IOLS. Our combined syllabus makes sure each different session gets only what they are suppose to get, and not the other. We combine only when the syllabi teach just about the same things- site selection, tentage, cooking, sanitation. Only the OWL participants get the OWL portion (Webelos activity pin helps) and only the BALOO participants get the BALOO portion (pack camping, appropriate activities based on age/rank, safety, pack campout planning)

      Sandy OWL
      Joyce Gaddis <joyceagaddis@...> wrote:
      I am in the process of combining the new OWL and IOLS. What a
      pain!!! You almost need two seperate staffs. It is like putting two
      courses on at the same time and same place. Seems to me to be
      another one of BSA's half-baked "Let's try this" schemes!!! I think
      it is a great idea to combine OWL nad IOLS training to further
      strengthen the bond between the two groups. Yes, I understand that
      Webelos are still Cub Scouts and have different programs, but the
      Webelos Outdoor program should be preparing the boys AND leaders for
      Boy Scout outdoor programs.

      Joyce Gaddis
      SM Troop 23 Eddington
      NE 1-224 Bear Patrol
      NE 1-239 Troop Guide

    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
        > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
        > From: <brant@...>
        >
        > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
        > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
        > & schedule??

        If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
        Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
        other training.

        > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
        > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

        Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
        Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
        but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
        IOLS.

        In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
        on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
        for IOLS.

        Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
        Keystone District, Alamo Area Council
      • Sandra Martens
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
          I have a combined syllabus and time line. Will email this evening. have a pinewood derby to run.

          Sandy OWL

          "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...> wrote:
          > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
          > From: <brant@...>
          >
          > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
          > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
          > & schedule??

          If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
          Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
          other training.

          > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
          > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

          Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
          Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
          but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
          IOLS.

          In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
          on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
          for IOLS.

          Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
          Keystone District, Alamo Area Council

          Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

          ---------------------------------

        • R Fisher
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
            Having been involved in our Council's first Joint Presentation of
            Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leaders and Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills
            for Boy Scout Leaders, I think I agree. Although the topics have the
            same title, the focus is entirely different in most cases. OSWL is more
            for training Leaders, IOLS is more for training Leaders to train boys.
            The timing is all messed up, and one of the biggest drawbacks I see is a
            Webelos leader who thinks he doesn't need to attend IOLS because s/he
            already did it in Webelos.

            If you do combine the two as suggested in the syllabus, I might think it
            would be better to mirror (i.e. IOLS in the morning and OSWL in the
            afternoon) to the extent practicable.

            YiS

            Roy Fisher

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
              this is how we do our joint BALOO/OWL. We do not do the Webelos Transition portion of the new syllabus- we do that at Roundtable so all Webelos leaders get it, not just those at OWL

              BALOO / OWL TIMELINE

              BALOO ACTIVITY TIME FRAME OWL ACTIVITY
              Opening 09:00-09:20 Opening
              09:20-10:00 Webelos Activities/H&S
              Aims/Purposes, videos 09:20-0930
              Planning/Program 9:30-11:00
              10:00-10:10 Break
              10:10-10:50 Round Robin ½
              10:50-11:45 Round Robin ¾
              Health and Safety 11:00-11:45
              Lunch 11:45-12:15 Lunch
              Activities (discuss games/hikes) 12:15-13:30 Activities
              Blind Tent Relay 13:30-14:00 Blind Tent Relay
              Fire Building 14:00-14:15 Fire Building
              Round Robin J1/2 14:15-15:15 Round Robin J1/2
              Round Robin J3/4 15:15-16:00 Round Robin J3/4
              Flag Ceremony 16:00-16:20 Flag Ceremony
              Campfire Preparation (dens) 16:20-17:00 Campfire Preparation (dens)
              Dinner 17:00-18:00 Dinner
              Campfire/Closing 18:00-19:00 Campfire/Closing

              Round Robin 1/2 Round Robin 3/4 Round Robin J1/2 Round Robin J3/4
              Naturalist Knots Cooking/Sanitation First Aid
              Forester Geologist Campsite/Bedding Campfire Prep (class)

              BALOO Activities OWL Activities (1 hr 15 min) (1 hr 15 min)

              wiggle worm hunt scavenger hunt
              hug a tree fire starters
              nature critter bug cages
              blind tent relay blind tent relay
              break geodes

              You'll notice we have activities during the afternoon period. I know this extends the time for BALOO, but it goes so quickly and the participants get to actually have fun and do some possible activities that can be done with their packs. We also have this time for Webelos activities instead of trying to teach and do an activity in the 20 minutes they allow. Outdoorsman is not covered separately. We coordinate so that it is covered completely in the other sessions. Participants learn knife safety and earn their "whittling chit" during campsite selection and bedding. This activity period also serves a second purpose. If sessions run late (due to questions and discussion) we have a buffer zone. The time spent on activities is just shortened.