Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Combining OWL & BALOO

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
      > ... the Webelos Outdoor program should be preparing
      the
      > boys AND leaders for Boy Scout outdoor programs.

      Only to a limited extent. The Webelos Scouts have
      available to them a fairly good, and very age
      appropriate, outdoor program of their own. When
      applying that program as it's intended, the end result
      will be young Scouts who are eagerly looking forward
      to Boy Scouts when they enter the troop. Far better
      to have exceptionally eager lads looking toward new
      things than lads arriving and quickly developing a
      been there, done that view of Boy Scouts.

      Webelos Leader Outdoor Skills Training should have as
      its primary function the training of prospective
      Webelos Leaders, i.e. Bear parents and Bear leaders,
      and really new Webelos Leaders. Its focus is, at
      least I assume the new syllabus hasn't changed too
      greatly from the former, on how best to deliver the
      outdoor aspects for Webelos Scouts in their
      transitional program between Cub Scouts and Boy
      Scouts, including a significant focus on the outdoor
      oriented Webelos Scouts Activity badges.

      While I can see there are ways to have OWLS and IOLS
      at the same property, with some shared staff and
      shared sessions, or partial sessions at least, it's
      not a surpise to me at all that it would seem to
      require two staffs. After all, two very different
      skill sets are being taught to two very different
      audiences.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
        the main problem I have with the combined OWL/IOLS courses is that the Webelos leaders then use and teach the Boy Scout skills in their Webelos dens. OWL is to give Bear and beginning Webelos leaders the skills to teach Webelos outdoor skills, not BS ones. That is why, because of staff shortage, we combine OWL and BALOO rather than OWL and IOLS. Our combined syllabus makes sure each different session gets only what they are suppose to get, and not the other. We combine only when the syllabi teach just about the same things- site selection, tentage, cooking, sanitation. Only the OWL participants get the OWL portion (Webelos activity pin helps) and only the BALOO participants get the BALOO portion (pack camping, appropriate activities based on age/rank, safety, pack campout planning)

        Sandy OWL
        Joyce Gaddis <joyceagaddis@...> wrote:
        I am in the process of combining the new OWL and IOLS. What a
        pain!!! You almost need two seperate staffs. It is like putting two
        courses on at the same time and same place. Seems to me to be
        another one of BSA's half-baked "Let's try this" schemes!!! I think
        it is a great idea to combine OWL nad IOLS training to further
        strengthen the bond between the two groups. Yes, I understand that
        Webelos are still Cub Scouts and have different programs, but the
        Webelos Outdoor program should be preparing the boys AND leaders for
        Boy Scout outdoor programs.

        Joyce Gaddis
        SM Troop 23 Eddington
        NE 1-224 Bear Patrol
        NE 1-239 Troop Guide

      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
          > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
          > From: <brant@...>
          >
          > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
          > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
          > & schedule??

          If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
          Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
          other training.

          > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
          > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

          Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
          Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
          but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
          IOLS.

          In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
          on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
          for IOLS.

          Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
          Keystone District, Alamo Area Council
        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
            I have a combined syllabus and time line. Will email this evening. have a pinewood derby to run.

            Sandy OWL

            "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...> wrote:
            > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:38:21 -0800 (PST)
            > From: <brant@...>
            >
            > 1st thought - It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy
            > between OWL & BALOO. Does anyone have a combined topics list
            > & schedule??

            If you read the BALOO syllabus, it says on page 9 (Planning Your BALOO
            Training / Overview) that this training should not be merged with any
            other training.

            > 2nd thought... It seems to me that the NEW OWL is (a) not that
            > much different from the old and (b) hard to combine with IOLS.

            Not sure how much the new OLSWL (Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
            Leaders) differs from the old WLOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training),
            but the new syllabus specifically provides for joint sessions with
            IOLS.

            In fact, the two courses are very similar, but OLSWL provides a focus
            on the outdoor Webelos activity badges that would not be appropriate
            for IOLS.

            Fred Goodwin, District Training Chairman
            Keystone District, Alamo Area Council

            Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

            ---------------------------------

          • R Fisher
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
              Having been involved in our Council's first Joint Presentation of
              Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leaders and Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills
              for Boy Scout Leaders, I think I agree. Although the topics have the
              same title, the focus is entirely different in most cases. OSWL is more
              for training Leaders, IOLS is more for training Leaders to train boys.
              The timing is all messed up, and one of the biggest drawbacks I see is a
              Webelos leader who thinks he doesn't need to attend IOLS because s/he
              already did it in Webelos.

              If you do combine the two as suggested in the syllabus, I might think it
              would be better to mirror (i.e. IOLS in the morning and OSWL in the
              afternoon) to the extent practicable.

              YiS

              Roy Fisher

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 22, 2006
                this is how we do our joint BALOO/OWL. We do not do the Webelos Transition portion of the new syllabus- we do that at Roundtable so all Webelos leaders get it, not just those at OWL

                BALOO / OWL TIMELINE

                BALOO ACTIVITY TIME FRAME OWL ACTIVITY
                Opening 09:00-09:20 Opening
                09:20-10:00 Webelos Activities/H&S
                Aims/Purposes, videos 09:20-0930
                Planning/Program 9:30-11:00
                10:00-10:10 Break
                10:10-10:50 Round Robin ½
                10:50-11:45 Round Robin ¾
                Health and Safety 11:00-11:45
                Lunch 11:45-12:15 Lunch
                Activities (discuss games/hikes) 12:15-13:30 Activities
                Blind Tent Relay 13:30-14:00 Blind Tent Relay
                Fire Building 14:00-14:15 Fire Building
                Round Robin J1/2 14:15-15:15 Round Robin J1/2
                Round Robin J3/4 15:15-16:00 Round Robin J3/4
                Flag Ceremony 16:00-16:20 Flag Ceremony
                Campfire Preparation (dens) 16:20-17:00 Campfire Preparation (dens)
                Dinner 17:00-18:00 Dinner
                Campfire/Closing 18:00-19:00 Campfire/Closing

                Round Robin 1/2 Round Robin 3/4 Round Robin J1/2 Round Robin J3/4
                Naturalist Knots Cooking/Sanitation First Aid
                Forester Geologist Campsite/Bedding Campfire Prep (class)

                BALOO Activities OWL Activities (1 hr 15 min) (1 hr 15 min)

                wiggle worm hunt scavenger hunt
                hug a tree fire starters
                nature critter bug cages
                blind tent relay blind tent relay
                break geodes

                You'll notice we have activities during the afternoon period. I know this extends the time for BALOO, but it goes so quickly and the participants get to actually have fun and do some possible activities that can be done with their packs. We also have this time for Webelos activities instead of trying to teach and do an activity in the 20 minutes they allow. Outdoorsman is not covered separately. We coordinate so that it is covered completely in the other sessions. Participants learn knife safety and earn their "whittling chit" during campsite selection and bedding. This activity period also serves a second purpose. If sessions run late (due to questions and discussion) we have a buffer zone. The time spent on activities is just shortened.