RE: [Scouter_T] Hypothetical - Paintball Training?/Chuck --- insurance question

  • Mark Liechty
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 16, 2005
      Brant answers to my Question:

      >>Does anyone have a real live case where the BSA left a
      >>volunteer leader out to dry for just about anything?

      Brant Replies:
      Which I think is the wrong question. As has been noted here already, the
      better question is "When would paintball be an appropriate activity in
      Scouting?"

      #######

      I totally agree that paintball is never appropriate for a scouting event.
      My concern was throwing up what seems to be a straw man argument of not
      being covered by insurance. That is why I created the ridicules example of
      pulling the boys on their bikes behind the truck on the freeway.

      The reasons to oppose paintball are strong enough without losing
      credibility. When I hear people quoting as fact things that cannot be
      demonstrated I tend to discount much of the other good stuff they bring to
      the table. As trainers we all need to be aware of the things we say and
      their consequences on the audience.

      Mark Liechty
      Eagle Class of 82
      Brotherhood Member OA