Re: [Scouter_T] WB staff selection

  • Glenda Schafer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2005
      I only know of one person who goes by "Barry the Blue Bear". I was in C44-04 from Buckeye Council - Sandy Beaver District and received my beads this past September. Just a note that the Staff of our course was exceptional. Glad to see a familiar name in such an interesting group.

      Glenda S.
      I used to be a Bob White

      Barry Smith <barrythebluebear@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      Can't help but chime in on the staffing question. Let's give future
      Course Director's a break. I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful two-
      beaders out there who would like to earn a third bead. It's just not
      in the cards. Most Course Directors are concerned about one thing;
      putting on the best possible course they can. They know the key is
      the staff. They want competence, reliablility, dedication and talent.

      Staffing WB is probably the most difficult training assignment in
      scouting. If you were a Course Director, you would be screening
      possible "new blood" like crazy. You would be glad for a proven pool
      of previous staff to draw from, but picking the required first-
      timers could (and should) be a challenge. It's got to be tough,
      especially when some of your great long-time scouting friends are
      hoping they will finally get a chance. Gosh, more pressure.

      I'm sure if a Course Director really wanted to get a non-21st
      Century woodbadger into a staff position, it could be done. (Course
      Directors rule.) However, be real. Most of a council's
      best "established" training talent has probably served within the
      past five years. The new "elimination" rule just helps a Course
      Director fend off those personal "friendly" pressures to serve. One
      less distraction.

      Yours in Gilwell,

      "Tis easier to build better boys than mend men."

      Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

      Visit your group "scouter_t" on the web.

      Yahoo! Shopping