Wood Badge Re: [Scouter_T] Who can present...

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 12, 2005
      So, if one hasn't staffed or participated a WB 21st course by 2007,
      the person apparently won't be asked to become a staffer unless they
      first go through the current version of WB as a participant.

      If someone really has a burning desire to staff, seems semi-reasonable
      to me. Not the solution i woulda come up with, but yeah, semi-
      reasonable.

      For those who get asked but prefer to serve in other ways, and have
      zero interest in yet another trip back to Gilwell, well shazaam and
      gol-li ms bunny, the new rule seemingly takes them off the hook
      forever, because no one should even be asking them.

      Obviously some folks are fond of the new rule. On the other hand, for
      some it means they won't have to explain, for the xth time, why the
      time commitment to staff doesn't mesh with their lives.

      Auto-exclusion, it's not just a tool for the good ol' boys. It's
      likely also to be viewed as near on a holiday pressie for some folks.

      hmmm, two sides of one coin, imagine that. 8^)
    • Mark Landry
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 14, 2005
        I only took the first 21st Century course in our area, having had 2 others
        cancelled out from under me in my home council. But I am hooked, thanks, in
        large part, to my troop guide. Thanks, Hugh (even though you are a bear)!!!

        To second Hugh's comments, there are ways to deal with issues of
        insufficient course directors or staff. The area director is a great
        resource. I will also second the concept of pulling in scouters from other
        councils, to serve on staff. It gives them experience, and gives the local
        staff members a view from the outside. At the recent course director's
        conference in Atlanta, issues about the new rules were raised and discussed.
        I am not one to exclude anyone who is willing to commit to the time
        requirements that being a WB staffer requires. That may be a misstep, but
        since the restrictions are there, let's see if we can make them work.

        Mark C. Landry

        An Ornery Owl from SR-498

        Council Training Chair

        Southeast Louisiana Council