WB staff selection

  • Barry Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2005
      Hi all,

      Can't help but chime in on the staffing question. Let's give future
      Course Director's a break. I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful two-
      beaders out there who would like to earn a third bead. It's just not
      in the cards. Most Course Directors are concerned about one thing;
      putting on the best possible course they can. They know the key is
      the staff. They want competence, reliablility, dedication and talent.

      Staffing WB is probably the most difficult training assignment in
      scouting. If you were a Course Director, you would be screening
      possible "new blood" like crazy. You would be glad for a proven pool
      of previous staff to draw from, but picking the required first-
      timers could (and should) be a challenge. It's got to be tough,
      especially when some of your great long-time scouting friends are
      hoping they will finally get a chance. Gosh, more pressure.

      I'm sure if a Course Director really wanted to get a non-21st
      Century woodbadger into a staff position, it could be done. (Course
      Directors rule.) However, be real. Most of a council's
      best "established" training talent has probably served within the
      past five years. The new "elimination" rule just helps a Course
      Director fend off those personal "friendly" pressures to serve. One
      less distraction.

      Yours in Gilwell,
      Barry

      "Tis easier to build better boys than mend men."
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2005
        I do understand that in part. I guess it just sort of seemed unnecessary to make a "rule" that sounds so exclusionary....
        I myself am co-training chair for our district, teach at Pow Wow and have gotten good reviews on my classes. I have been unable to take WB21 because of time constraints and money and also because the council needed me at the Aquatics Director and so I go in the direction they ask..........BUT..........there is a certain mind set with some of our trainers that they like to keep the WB staff very private and exclusive.....and it seems this rule just makes it easier to keep that mentality alive and have official backing in order to do so...........

        Barry Smith <barrythebluebear@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        connie

      • Glenda Schafer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2005
          I only know of one person who goes by "Barry the Blue Bear". I was in C44-04 from Buckeye Council - Sandy Beaver District and received my beads this past September. Just a note that the Staff of our course was exceptional. Glad to see a familiar name in such an interesting group.

          Glenda S.
          I used to be a Bob White

[...]

          Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera