Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Group Survey Regulations?

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 11, 2005
      I just approved this message as a moderator on Scouter-T. Isn't this
      your list? Why am I moderating your messages? Have you changed
      something on your system so that the list no longer recognizes you as a
      member?

      All the best,

      Dave

      Wendell Brown wrote:
      > hhhyman3 wrote:
      >
      >>observations with WB and JLTC, I would hypothesize that teams actually
      >>perceive themselves at a higher stage of development than the level at
      >>which they are at..
      >
      > I probably need to apologize to the the WB staffers on the list before
      > you read this message.

      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Wendell Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 12, 2005
        Dave Loomis wrote:

        > I just approved this message as a moderator on Scouter-T. Isn't this
        >your list? Why am I moderating your messages? Have you changed
        >something on your system so that the list no longer recognizes you as a
        >member?

        Errrrr... actually, I changed myself to moderated status (which I just
        changed back). I had sent a message to the group that was interned to
        go only to one member. I stopped the send, but wanted to make
        absolutely sure that it didn't send, so I moderated myself. It turns
        out that the stop worked, but better safe than sorry. :)
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
          Wendell,
          Has this gone on long enough on Scouter-T to suggest that it be moved
          to Wood Badge-L?

          Dave

          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
            Dave wrote...

            > Has this gone on long enough on Scouter-T to suggest
            > that it be moved to Wood Badge-L?

            Actually, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't shown up there already.
            Although that would mean a few 200k+ Digests with the HTML and Mime
            problems. :(

            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            District Committee Member at Large
            -- Stephen R. Covey
          • Keith Tilley
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
              Dave asked, "Has this gone on long enough on Scouter-T to suggest that
              it be moved to Wood Badge-L?"

              Dave, it's a small point, but an important one in light of the current
              threads - this is a group for trainers, and Wood Badge is training.

              If we were exceeding the daily limit I might agree with you, but I
              think this is the most lively and most unvarnished discussion I've
              ever seen about this training course, and I'd like it to continue.

              Keith Tilley
            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                Dave Loomis wrote:
                > Wendell,
                > Has this gone on long enough on Scouter-T to suggest that it be moved
                > to Wood Badge-L?

                We have (myself included) strayed a bit wide of the normal training
                discussion. And while WB is training and as such is certainly a valid
                topic on this list, we probably do need to focus a bit more closely on
                the training aspect and step away from the policy issues.

                As someone said, we had over 20 messages in the last couple of days on
                this. I guess we are going to start running people off if we just keep
                beating this horse. (Yes, that was a joke - I don't think there are
                many on this list are that easy to run away). ;)

                In other words, no - I'm not going to terminate the conversation but I
                am going to ask that we try to be a bit more circumspect in our comments.

                Oh, and I didn't even know there was a Wood Badge-L...... either that or
                I blocked it from my mind. ;)
              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                  That list sits at WDBADGE-L@..., but I don't recall
                  if I sent a Subscribe message to the listserver or if there was a URL to
                  subscribe.

                  I suppose part of my question, which I really thought I had sent
                  directly to you, as opposed to the list in general, is how much of the
                  mystery of Wood Badge are we discussing on a list that is not made up of
                  Wood Badgers, not that there is a membership challenge and reply
                  required to join the WB List.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                    Dave Loomis wrote

                    > how much of the mystery of Wood Badge are we discussing on a
                    > list that is not made up of Wood Badgers

                    That's a good question Dave. I'll try to keep my comments
                    non-specific. So far, I don't think there is much that has been said
                    here about the "mystery" that the vast majority of trainers haven't
                    already heard. But we do need to keep that in mind.

                    Thanks for the reminder!
                  • Scouter Chuck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                      Wendell wrote...

                      > That's a good question Dave. I'll try to keep my comments
                      > non-specific. So far, I don't think there is much that has been said
                      > here about the "mystery" that the vast majority of trainers haven't
                      > already heard. But we do need to keep that in mind.

                      I'm not sure how much of the "mystery" is left, anymore.
                      It appears from the discussion that a lot of the "mystery" was
                      part of the percieved problem.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                        and secrecy. Mystery is fun, trying to keep some things quiet so the
                        participants have a more enjoyable and more effective experience. Secrecy,
                        where things like planning and staffing are done without proper oversight,
                        is where we get into trouble.

                        Keith Tilley

                      • NeilLup@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005

                          > I'm not sure how much of the "mystery" is left, anymore.
                          > It appears from the discussion that a lot of the "mystery" was
                          > part of the percieved problem.

                          I believe there really is not supposed to be any "mystery" connected with
                          21st Century Wood Badge. The schedule and objectives are published in the
                          Gilwell Gazette and there are many councils who have published all of their issues
                          of the Gilwell Gazette on-line for anyone to read. While there are probably
                          some sessions which might be somewhat "spoiled" by foreknowledge, they
                          really aren't a mystery. For example, if one knew the questions for the Wood
                          Badge Game show in advance, then it might be less fun.

                          This is a total contrast from Leadership Develop Wood Badge which was the
                          previous generation. There, limited information was a specific management
                          technique and information, schedules, etc. were tightly controlled and
                          parcelled out in limited quantities. There really was "mystery" there and "I've
                          got a secret" elements. If there are still councils in which there is
                          "mystery", then I suspect that they haven't gotten the full message of 21st Century
                          Wood Badge. But from several of the posts on this topic, that seems to
                          be pretty clear.

                          Best wishes,

                          Neil Lupton