RE: Wood Badge Re: [Scouter_T] Who can present...

  • Robert L. DeWitt
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 10, 2005
      I would like a copy of this PowerPoint presentation please.

      rdewitt10@...

      Robert L. DeWitt
      ASM Troop 12
      Chickasaw District
      Georgia Carolina Council
      Augusta, Ga
      I used to be a good Ole Bear SR-691

      _____

      From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of NeilLup@...

      In a message dated 12/9/05 7:43:39 PM, kcjscout@... writes:

      > Dave wrote, in part, "It is my understanding that the last meeting of
      > future course directors decided that, in the not too distant future,
      people who
      > took the old Wood Badge courses will not be allowed on staff for the new
      > course. They also decided that currently beaded Wood Badgers may take the
      new
      > course, upon surrendering their beads for the duration of the course."
      >
      > I wonder if that includes folks who took the old course(s) and have
      already
      > served on staff for WB21. Wouldn't it be kind of redundant for these
      folks
      > to now become participants?

      1) I believe that persons who have already served on a WB21 staff will be
      considered "grandfathered" for future staff service going forward. At
      least
      I hope so.

      2) I don't believe that decisions such as this are made by the future
      course directors. Rather, I believe that the WB design team, the WB
      regional
      and area coordinators and the chairmen of the regional and area conferences
      get
      together every couple of years and these items are discussed.

      3) A person who went to the previous WB can certainly serve as a guest
      instructor. That is no problem.

      4) I am not certain, but I would imagine that if there is a particular
      person who has not been on WB21 who is desired for staff, a request for
      exception can be made to the Region and the region will consider the request

      seriously. I would imagine that such an exception would be on an
      individual basis.
      I believe that the team believed that there really is no need at this
      point
      5-6 years after WB21 began that there should be a number of individuals
      serving on staff who were beaded under the previous course but have not been
      on
      staff yet.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

      For subscription and delivery options send a message to:

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "scouter_t
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      _____

    • Mark Landry
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 14, 2005
        I only took the first 21st Century course in our area, having had 2 others
        cancelled out from under me in my home council. But I am hooked, thanks, in
        large part, to my troop guide. Thanks, Hugh (even though you are a bear)!!!

        To second Hugh's comments, there are ways to deal with issues of
        insufficient course directors or staff. The area director is a great
        resource. I will also second the concept of pulling in scouters from other
        councils, to serve on staff. It gives them experience, and gives the local
        staff members a view from the outside. At the recent course director's
        conference in Atlanta, issues about the new rules were raised and discussed.
        I am not one to exclude anyone who is willing to commit to the time
        requirements that being a WB staffer requires. That may be a misstep, but
        since the restrictions are there, let's see if we can make them work.

        Mark C. Landry

        An Ornery Owl from SR-498

        Council Training Chair

        Southeast Louisiana Council