RE: Wood Badge Re: [Scouter_T] Who can present...

  • Jim von Schmacht
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 10, 2005
      Here's the scoop from National (as heard at Area III):

      1) Starting in 2007, all staff members must have either taken WB21C or have previously staffed WB21C. No exceptions. All ROSTERED staff members (those that get Asst. Course Director certs) must follow these rules. Others (such as instructors) do not have to meet these requirements.

      2) Attendees of WBLTC (Wood Badge of the Late Twentieth Century) were previously prohibited from taking WB21C - they may now do so providing they A) Create and complete a ticket and B) agree to not wear their beads again until the have completed that ticket.

      I have a PowerPoint presentation from National if anyone would like it covering the changes in detail.

      Jim von Schmacht
      Loma Prieta District Training Chair
      WE3-31-00 Owl, 6x Staffer

      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 14, 2005
        I only took the first 21st Century course in our area, having had 2 others
        cancelled out from under me in my home council. But I am hooked, thanks, in
        large part, to my troop guide. Thanks, Hugh (even though you are a bear)!!!

        To second Hugh's comments, there are ways to deal with issues of
        insufficient course directors or staff. The area director is a great
        resource. I will also second the concept of pulling in scouters from other
        councils, to serve on staff. It gives them experience, and gives the local
        staff members a view from the outside. At the recent course director's
        conference in Atlanta, issues about the new rules were raised and discussed.
        I am not one to exclude anyone who is willing to commit to the time
        requirements that being a WB staffer requires. That may be a misstep, but
        since the restrictions are there, let's see if we can make them work.

        Mark C. Landry

        An Ornery Owl from SR-498

        Council Training Chair

        Southeast Louisiana Council