Training requirements for the new Wood Badge

  • Kent Wolfe
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
      Jim Hawkins had asked about new Wood Badge requirements...

      Don't quote me on this but the I think the requirements for the new Wood
      Badge are that the leader must have had FastStart and Basic Training for
      his/her position. The Scout Exec's permission is also needed.

      The old Wood Badge for Cubs was supposed to be limited to trainers. I say
      "supposed" because you were supposed to be a Boy Scout leader to attend the
      old Wood Badge but I've heard of Cub leaders attending that also.

      I completed my first weekend of new Wood Badge a couple weeks ago and have
      my last weekend after Easter. I really enjoyed the first weekend. We did
      not sleep outside nor did we cook our own meals. I know this was a big item
      of discussion about what is lost regarding the patrol method. IMO we didn't
      lose much because we gained a lot of "classroom" time that would have
      otherwise been spent cooking. The second weekend each patrol is located in
      a separate campsite and must tent camp and cook their meals. Each patrol
      must also perform their own service project. From what I've heard about the
      old Wood Badge, the new version is no where near as demanding in regards to
      having to get a junkload of projects and other work completed.

      Kent Wolfe
      Dist. Training Chair
      Council Vice Training Chair
      SM T12
      Lincoln, NE
    • shattuckb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
        As best I know the requirements for the New WB are as follows:

        Cub Leaders have to attend Cub Leader Specific training
        Boy Scout Leaders attend the Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters Specific
        Training and Outdoor Leaders Skills.
        Varsity attends Varsity or SM Specific & Outdoor Leader Skills.
        Venture attend Venture Leader Specific
        Commissioners attend Commissioner Specific Training
        District Committee to attend District Committee Training

        I do not know about the council positions.
        Bill "Moose" Shattuck

      • Judy Yeager
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
          Jim Hawkins wrote: How about the future WB when it is a combined WB?
          What will be the training requirements for Cub Scout leaders? Will CS
          leaders have to have completed WLOE?

          As someone else has already noted, I believe the requirement for
          participants in the 21st Century Wood Badge will be basic training for
          their position, be it in Cubs, Boy Scouts or Venturing.

          I would like to make a couple of other points. You mention "future
          WB." In most Councils, the future is now. Heart of America Council
          held its final "traditional" course last year and will be using the
          "new" syllabus for our Council course this year.

          You asked if Cubbers would have to have WLOE (WLOT, OWL). I am assuming
          you were referring to prior outdoor skills training. Our council also
          hosted a pilot of the "new" course last year. I have to quote the SM
          from our pilot course who said, "The only outdoor skills necessary for
          the 21st Century WB is the ability to set up your own tent or to whine
          long enough to get someone else to do it for you."

          He also said, "This ain't your old WB, folks." He was absolutely right.
          IMHO, it is far superior to either of the other two courses, but your
          mileage may vary.

          Judy Yeager
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
            > ----------
            > From: Kent Wolfe
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] Training requirements for the new Wood Badge
            >
            > I completed my first weekend of new Wood Badge a couple weeks ago and have
            > my last weekend after Easter. I really enjoyed the first weekend. We did
            > not sleep outside nor did we cook our own meals. I know this was a big
            > item
            > of discussion about what is lost regarding the patrol method. IMO we
            > didn't
            > lose much because we gained a lot of "classroom" time that would have
            > otherwise been spent cooking.
            You probably got more time to eat than we got to: prepare, cook,
            eat, and clean-up. ;-)

            Pete Mullaney
            Bobwhite, NE-II-92
          • Dave Loomis
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
              Per John Alline, the Boy Scout and Wood Badge person at National, the
              scouter must be a trained leader.

              When I pressed him on this, having heard of outdoor skills course
              prequisets, he told me that a Cub Scout Leader who has completed the
              position specific training for his/her job - the 2 1/2 - 3 hour course,
              the Venturing, Varsity, or Boy Scout Committee Member who has completed
              the 5 hour, ?? hour(not released yet), or 3 hour course, or the Boy
              Scout Leader who has completed the NEW three sessions course was trained
              and could attend Wood Badge.

              Wood Badge does not need to be held outdoors, so outdoor skills are no
              longer required. As one trainer here remarked a while ago about his
              course that WAS held outdoors, "All you have to be able to do is set up
              your tent or whine long enough so that someone does it for you."

              Dave

              Jim Hawkins wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am extremely excited! Tomorrow is the day for my pre-Wood Badge
              > Orientation!
              >
              > If I am not mistaken, this Wood Badge training will primarily follow
              > the old syllabus. Nevertheless, I am sure there will be a lot of
              > discussion about the new version.
              >
              > Last night, I presented the changes to the whole training program, at
              > least as I understand them, to my Training Committee. A question came
              > up about Wood Badge that I did not know how to answer.
              >
              > What will be the requirement for Wood Badge in the future?
              >

              > Do Your Best!
              > Be Prepared!
              >
              > Jim Hawkins

              To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
              on the mailto: address below

              Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
              164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
              Greenland, NH 03840
              Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
              possit materiari?
            • Rick Rambo
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
                HOWEVER
                While WB is not an out door skills oriented course, a scoutmaster or
                Assistant SM will NOT be trained (i.e. received his Trained strip) until
                he/she has attended Introduction to outdoor Leader Skills course. Outdoor
                Training is Required for these positions and thus is required before WB.

                **********
                America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                **********
                Join the Wy-East District e-mail list! Send a blank e-mail to:
                Wy-East-subscribe@...
                **********
                Rick Rambo
                Committee Member, T-89, Wy-East District, Cascade Pacific Council; Training
                Chairman for Wy-East District; Chairman, CPC 1st Class Recognition events
                1st Class Recognition Page:
                http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/firstclass.html
                or: http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/award/1stclass.htm
                Roundtable Songs: http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/roundtable.html
                e-mail: rickram.geo@...
                FAX: (561) 673-0437
                http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

                Jim Hawkins wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I am extremely excited! Tomorrow is the day for my pre-Wood Badge
                > Orientation!
                >
                > If I am not mistaken, this Wood Badge training will primarily follow
                > the old syllabus. Nevertheless, I am sure there will be a lot of
                > discussion about the new version.
                >
                > Last night, I presented the changes to the whole training program, at
                > least as I understand them, to my Training Committee. A question came
                > up about Wood Badge that I did not know how to answer.
                >
                > What will be the requirement for Wood Badge in the future?
                >

                > Do Your Best!
                > Be Prepared!
                >
                > Jim Hawkins

                To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address,
                or click
                on the mailto: address below

                Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                Greenland, NH 03840
                Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                possit materiari?

              • Gary Burkhardt
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2001
                  From: Dave Loomis
                  Wood Badge does not need to be held outdoors

                  Only the first three days do not need to be held outdoors. The second three
                  days are a Troop campout which does have to be held outdoors.

                  Gary Burkhardt
                  NE-II-110 Course Director
                  21st Century Wood Badge
                  mailto:scouter@...