Troop Leadership Training

  • John Oliphant
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2005
      Maybe I missed it, but has anyone had a chance to evaluate or possibly
      deliver the new Troop Leadership Training? This is the one that replaces the
      Scoutmaster's JLT Kit.

      I'm curious what other trainers think of this new course, how it works, and
      what makes it special and different.

      John Oliphant
      T696 ASM
      Wabano District BS Trainer
      SW Michigan Council
    • mjgeisbush
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2005
        John,

        My impressions after skimming the TLT material is that it is similar
        to the JLT; except that there wasn't a video available when I
        purchased my "kit" (catalog #34306-A, printed May 2005).

        The older JLT has a section on Team Building that wasn't included in
        the new TLT I got. I like the idea of the job cards (which give
        basic job expectations on one side and the opposite side is used for
        goal setting), but I think it is more practical to ALSO have the full
        page version (which we used under JLT).

        My first impression was that JLT was better because it provides a
        Team Building session.

        As a side note: Since the Junior Leaders in our troop were the
        same scouts just changing positions, we used to have additional
        (supplemental) Junior Leader training according to skills and items
        that they wanted to learn more about (examples: communication
        skills, handling of disciplinary issues). These additional trainings
        actually proved more valuable for us than re-doing the same JLT
        program each year.

        Mike.
      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2006
          I'm a first-year ASM (my son crossed in March a year ago). Each of the
          "new-Scout" dads is expected to find an area where he can help
          contribute to the Troop, and I volunteered to help with youth training.
          Basically, my predecessor handed me a box of JLT binders and some
          Powerpoint files (the JLT video is missing but we think we know where
          it is).

          Anyway, I had heard about TLT replacing JLT, so I used some Troop funds
          to buy a copy, and was amazed at how "light" it is, compared to the old
          JLT. Now, I've never taught either one, so I have no pre-conceived
          notions as to which is better. There's a new syllabus, I'm assigned
          the training duties, so I decided to go with the new course -- a clean
          break from both the old instructor and the old course.

          Well, I must say, I'm not exactly sure what I've gotten myself into.
          As I read the TLT syllabus, there is theoretically much interaction,
          coaching, visioning and joint-goal-setting between the SPL and SM, with
          the intent that the SPL would train his PLs by conducting the three
          modules of TLT himself.

          I guess I'm not sure where an ASM-trainer fits into this picture.
          Since I'm training the new PLC tomorrow morning (we had troop elections
          last Monday), I've had to make a few adjustments to the syllabus, which
          I know is a "no-no" per BSA training policy.

          But since I'm obviously not the SM, I can hardly sit down and do joint
          visioning & goal-setting with the SPL (for example). But since the SM
          will be in attendance, I intend to ask them to do separate vision
          statements, then compare and reconcile them.

          Next, since the SM did not train the new SPL in advance of TLT, I will
          be training the SPL and PLs all at the same time (as well as all other
          appointed positions). I know this isn't optimal, but this is the
          assignment I was given.

          Do any other Troops do their TLT training this way? I.e., led by an
          ASM and done in one big session, rather than SM training the SPL first,
          then SPL training the other boys, etc.?
        • Ann Puckett
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2006
            NO, our SM does the JLT or "TLT" training, our council
            also offers a weekend JLT training in the Spring. I
            think it would be OK if it was jointly planned by the
            ASM and SM, that way the ASM understands what is going
            on within the Troop but it should be lead by the SM,
            with the ASM in attendance, at least this training
            anyhow.

            --- "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...>

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Barry Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
              As a SM, I have pretty clear priorities, except for the top priority.
              Is it to be sure the scouts (and the adults) are prepared for any
              emergency (as in safety) or is it mentoring leadership in the scouts,
              (with my primary focus on the SPL)? I know they are nos. 1 and 2 for
              any SM. All else is less.

              I have difficulties with any SM who delegates leadership training. If
              a SM is not mentoring the youth leaders, then it's probably time for
              him/her to figure out which other position would be more appropriate
              for their skills and inclination. Sounds like you are willing to do
              the true task of the SM. Please apply for the position.

              I am glad you are using the TLT packet, the position cards are a boon.
              I've done both, and I can't tell you how the boys would dread another
              session with Mr. Potato. The new training allows for a lot of guided
              reflection on their goals and the goals of their scouting friends.

              WWW,
              Barry Smith
            • rjays6
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2007
                Greetings! What suggestions would the list have, as to how a Troop can
                best deliver the new Troop Leadership Training? The new materials seem
                rather weak. Any ideas on what materials to use to supplement?

                Ruth White
                Buckeye District Training Chair, Simon Kenton Council
              • Garry McLeary
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2007
                  The material on the Leading/Teaching EDGE in the NYLT and Woodbadge sylibus is very helpfull
                  yis
                  Garry

                  rjays6 <rwhitehouse1@...> wrote:
                  Greetings! What suggestions would the list have, as to how a Troop can
                  best deliver the new Troop Leadership Training? The new materials seem
                  rather weak. Any ideas on what materials to use to supplement?

                  Ruth White
                  Buckeye District Training Chair, Simon Kenton Council

                • Steve Hutchinson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2007
                    Ruth,

                    I agree the new Troop Leader Training format leaves a lot of "fill in
                    the blanks" for individual units to come up with. I also agree with
                    Gary that the best places to go are the NYLT and Wood Badge syllabi.

                    We did our first real formal Troop Leader Training course in our unit
                    this past November and it was a huge success. While the TLT syllabus
                    only gives you the simple "Be, Know, Do" framework, there's a lot of
                    good information you can place within those sections.

                    To give you an idea of where we took it, there are links below to the
                    PowerPoint presentation we developed for the course. I also included
                    a link to the "GeoSlab" font we used which is similar to the title
                    font used in the Boy Scout Handbook and Scoutmaster Handbook.

                    Troop 737 TLT PowerPoint file (317K)
                    http://cardinaldistrict.net/docs/T737LeaderTraining.ppt

                    PDF version of the presentation (94K)
                    http://cardinaldistrict.net/docs/T737LeaderTraining.pdf

                    Geometric Slabserif Font
                    http://cardinaldistrict.net/docs/GeoSlab.ttf

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 12, 2007
                      FYI: there is a Yahoo Group devoted to youth leadership training
                      issues:

                      TLT and how to present it have come up before in that group; you might
                      check the archives.

                      Fred Goodwin, UC
                      Alamo Area Council