Misbehaving Scout Units

  • S. Kelly Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2005
      While training can do a lot to help the situation, there are other
      factors that contribute to the problem. A huge one here in the west is
      the appointment of Scout leaders by the chartering organization, and
      then moving them out of Scouting into other volunteer positions
      before they ever get trained. This leads to a constant stream of
      changing leaders whose only experience with Scouting is based on being
      a Scout in their youth. As those of us who have been on both ends, it
      is a whole different point of view being an adult in charge of a unit
      than being a kid in the unit.
      Another factor is the relative strength or weakness of the
      Commissioner staff in your district. Districts I have served in have
      typically had very weak Commissioners, and my units have not seen a
      Commissioner in years, unless I went out of my way to get them to
      visit. A Commissioner can help a unit understand the rules a bit
      better, and work with leaders to encourage them to follow the G2SS.
      Unfortunately, too many good ol' boys get into Scouting and figure
      they're gonna teach the boys to be REAL men. Had a couple of these who
      let their boys stone the summer camp's pet skunks to death--because
      they were just "garbage animals" and it was fun to watch them die.
      SO, how do you train that kind of person?
      YiS--
      Kelly Parker
      Used to be a whole lot of stuff, but I feel much better now.