Re: Transition Figures

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2005
      I'm going to post this to both lists, because I believe that it a valid
      issue for both groups.

      I feel that adult volunteers are about as alike and unlike as a box of
      beach rocks or pebbles. This is one reason we have a Unit
      Resource/Abilities Form in Scouting. Somehow I doubt that a person who
      has worked most of his or her adult life as an over the road trucker, or
      a high steel worker, would share many abilities and capabilities as one
      who has worked as an elementary school teacher, but this doesn't mean
      they can't be good leaders. I believe that the Cub Scout Program Helps
      give the former a good foundation of minimal elements with which to
      build the den program, especially when complimented by Roundtable
      attendance, but for the latter it gives them a jumping off place, to
      give them ideas that they can work on, to provide a program for their
      den. The one uses it as a program the other as a foundation for what
      will be used in the den.

      I know that when my wife was a den leader and I a committee member of
      our pack, we'd brainstorm ideas at home before the meetings, and come up
      with a way to use a paper picnic plate, one of those huge southern pine
      cones, and a pipe cleaner or two to make a turkey centerpiece for their
      table. No part of this was in the program helps, as southern pitch
      pines aren't universal, even within the US, but it was a project that
      the boys could complete in one meeting, and have something to take home
      and show his parents, which is one of the triumphs I think we owe the
      Scouts.

      Dave

      Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
      >>Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:08:58 -0500
      >>From: Bob Geier <bobgeier@...>
      >>
      >>Don makes one claim, though, that I will politely take issue with:
      >>

      >>>The tools provided by the BSA give den leaders everything they
      >>>need.
      >>
      >>I couldn't disagree more as an educator and researcher. Curriculum
      >>tools have only rarely been shown to be effective at helping a
      >>little; and even when they are "successful" at helping a little, they
      >

      >>are a small effect compared to the 800-pound gorilla of
      >>teacher/leader variance.
      >

      > As an educator, what do you think BSA can do to control the "variance"
      > of adult volunteers?
      >
      > And secondly, if BSA *didn't* provide resources to den leaders, would
      > those den leaders be better off?
      >
      > Fred Goodwin
      > Keystone District Training Chairman
      > Alamo Area Council