Veteran Unit Emblem Flag and Gold Memorial Stars

  • Mike Geisbush
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005
      Another scouting forum brought up a question on
      veteran unit flag that I thought others may wish to
      learn about.

      A veteran unit flag has a blue background (square
      about 7 inches per side) with yellow BSA fleur-de-lis
      and number indicating
      the continuous years of service.

      Units in my area do not usually carry their Unit flag
      outdoors with the veteran unit flag attached. They
      only carry the unit flag when outdoors. Probably due
      to the concerns for fraying the edges since the
      veteran unit flag's edges are unfinished.

      According to the previous version (2004) of the
      Insignia Guide (couldn't find my newest version), the
      veteran flag is located midway between the top and
      bottom of the unit flag along the staff (or pole)
      side. Not stated, but seems implied, is that the
      veteran flag is placed in front of the larger, unit
      flag and attached to the staff much like the (larger)
      unit flag.

      By contrast, award ribbons are attached (tied with
      string) to the top of the flag pole just below the
      finial (or staff ornament).

      BTW, something I have never seen, but was reminded of
      in the Insignia Guide, is that Gold memorial stars may
      be affixed to the unit flag indicating unit members
      who died in service for our country. (See the insignia
      guide for details.)

      YiS,

      Mike.

      http://mail.yahoo.com